• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Questions about Screen Call in Europe

Search This thread

DarkCenobyte

Oct 29, 2021
Hi,

I read that Screen Call will be activate (or has been activated) in Europe, and it's great, but it seems the feature appear to some people only. Do you know if it's a rolling release and we just need to wait, or if there is maybe some conditions on it? (for example, I'm in France, and on the operator Free Mobile, who doesn't support currently VoLTE for the Google Pixels (they announce the support for December).

And is the feature notified when available, or should I check regularly in the Phone app settings?

Also, for people who already tried it in France or Germany, or any non-english country, do you know if it works only with the local language, or if it can adapt automatically to the country that is calling me? (sometimes I receive call from UK, I think there could be a better understanding if my phone respond in english instead of french).

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I'm in the UK. Yes, my set language is English and not French or German, but I have this kind of error at present. I'm hoping that it clears up as I tried this at the very beginning so on T
Screenshot_20211029-134009.png
uesday afternoon

Reactions: DarkCenobyte

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
As far as I know, it only works in the language of the country where you physically reside. So if you use the new Call Screening in Germany, it will only work in German. At least the interface and the voice will be in German - maybe it can understand English or French or Japanese, but the phone app certainly doesn't tell you that.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
No secondary language, all set to the UK.
Mh, odd. Would be nice to know if other UK users have the same problem. I know of people in Germany and France who can already use Call Screen, and read about people in Italy and Spain that were able to use it; maybe it's some sort of regional rollout, or maybe it has something to do with the firmware version. Even though that's unlikely, since I still use the old .015 one and it's working for me.

DarkCenobyte

Oct 29, 2021
Thanks for the answers, I double-check I had only one language on the phone. So I guess I only need to wait some times for the Call Screen activation... Would be nice to have a small hack to enable it, but I can wait. I guess it's maybe a random rollup, I don't think it's regional as all french smartphone was packaged to add the USB-C earbuds (french law make mandatory to sell these with a phone as a "hands-free kit" for drivers), but all french doesn't have the feature available at this time.

I also tried to see if it appear after using a VPN (with UK, Germany and US location) and clear cache/force shutdown for the phone app, and still nothing. (I know this was working often with firmware update on my previous OnePlus phone)

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Thanks for the answers, I double-check I had only one language on the phone. So I guess I only need to wait some times for the Call Screen activation... Would be nice to have a small hack to enable it, but I can wait. I guess it's maybe a random rollup, I don't think it's regional as all french smartphone was packaged to add the USB-C earbuds (french law make mandatory to sell these with a phone as a "hands-free kit" for drivers), but all french doesn't have the feature available at this time.

I also tried to see if it appear after using a VPN (with UK, Germany and US location) and clear cache/force shutdown for the phone app, and still nothing. (I know this was working often with firmware update on my previous OnePlus phone)
VPN is not enough to fool Screen Call. You need to spoof your location, language, use an unlocked App version via sideload and even then chances are slim that it's going to work. Back in the days it was possible to sideload some stuff and activate a couple lines code, but then about a year or so Google changed most of the Call Screen stuff server-side, so you as an enduser can't to ****. They either unlock it for you - or you're out of luck.

Reactions: DarkCenobyte

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm in the UK. Yes, my set language is English and not French or German, but I have this kind of error at present. I'm hoping that it clears up as I tried this at the very beginning so on T
    Screenshot_20211029-134009.png
    uesday afternoon
    Working here in the UK. Downloaded the language file, and worked straight away.

Have really wound my son up when he called me just, by experimenting with it.
    He got so annoyed he put the phone down on me 😂😂
    Where in settings do you find this please
    In the phone app setting, should be under the Assistive heading if you have it, just above Caller ID and spam (I'm on the beta for the phone app).

VPN is not enough to fool Screen Call. You need to spoof your location, language, use an unlocked App version via sideload and even then chances are slim that it's going to work. Back in the days it was possible to sideload some stuff and activate a couple lines code, but then about a year or so Google changed most of the Call Screen stuff server-side, so you as an enduser can't to ****. They either unlock it for you - or you're out of luck.
    did you manage to download the language update?
    Seemed to download and install from the notification panel but still says it needs to download on the app.