Quick Access to Nook Tablet FACTORY RESET

Search This thread

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
I can confirm that this does work and I have tested it several times to verify that it would work every time. I take no credit for figuring out this factory reset method as it was dcnarad that seems to have stumbled upon it. I do take credit for figuring out exactly how it is to be performed and have reposted it below correctly. dcnarad's post here is a bit haphazard and it slightly missed the mark as to how this actually needs to be performed so as to get to the factory reset screen properly.

Perform Factory Reset of the Nook Tablet:
  • PWR off the Nook Tablet.
  • Hold "PWR" & "" & "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons simultaneously to reboot.
  • Wait 2-3 seconds after reboot, release only the "PWR" & "" buttons upon receiving the " - Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated." screen while still maintaining to hold the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons.
  • The screen will blink a couple seconds later and then you will be presented with the Factory Reset screen with the following options:
    • Do you want to reset your device to the factory default?
      • Press POWER key to exit
      • Press HOME key to continue

• Are you sure?
    • This will delete all your content and restore the device to the factory default settings.

I even accidentally let go of the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons once while testing this a few times but quickly pushed them back down again and was still given the factory reset screen so this method works even with a little goof like that. This worked since holding down "VOL+" & "VOL-" the buttons was found to actually be unnecessary.

ENJOY!

NOTE: "HOME key" = "" button

NOTE 2: After some discussion with others, I decided to "take one for the team" and experiment with software version 1.4.1 update. I manually updated my Nook Tablet to software version 1.4.1 via the software download from bn.com. I applied to update and then did a factory reset of the device after booting into v1.4.1. I can confirm that if your NT has been updated to v1.4.1 then a FACTORY RESET will reset your NT to factory default settings of software version 1.4.1 and your NT will not revert to v1.4.0. It seems that B&N has pulled another fast one by over-writing the device's original factory software as well with this update. I was able to revert my NT to v1.4.0 via AdamOutler's Restore Barnes & Noble Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard afterwards with only the one issue. The "" button was not working after the device initially booted up into v1.4.0 but applying a second factory reset to the device solved this issue.

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Finally someone else try it I have posted this in my tips and trick thread. Thanks ill update later the link to this post as its more detailed

Sent from my LG GT540 Swift using XDA App

Last edited:

lessilb

Dec 30, 2011
Cannot reset to 1.4.0

Getting panicky. I had root previously then got "upgraded" to 1.4.1. Have tried multiple ways of getting back to 1.4.0, all have which have left me with an unrooted Nook with 1.4.1.

The acclaim_update microSD was tried with 4GB, 8GB and 32GB microSD cards unmounted and erased on the Nook - didn't work

All of the combinations of Power, Volume and Home buttons have been tried and all have resulted in a default factory reset but after registration I'm still left with an unrooted Nook with system 1.4.1

Am I the only one having this problem?

Reactions: ckevinwelch

nashdude

Dec 22, 2011
Hey RegLinUsr, will this root method restore from ANY root method, like Indirect or Snowball? Or does it have a specific set of circumstances it needs to get you back to factory reset?

In other words, does this unroot the tablet, or does it just reset the tablet to a previous state, root/nonroot notwithstanding?

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 8)

Last edited:

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
When you do a factory restore, you are basically got a brand new nt from the day you bought it. If it came with 1.4.0, then it will be reimaged to that, but if you got the newer batch that comes with 1.4.1, then you will have to use the acclaim sd method to get it back down to 1.4.0 in order to root.

nashdude

Dec 22, 2011
Right, I got that. What I mean is, if I did this on my Indirect-rooted tablet, would it undo the root and restore it to stock 1.4.0 like it had just come out of the box?

lessilb

Dec 30, 2011
It doesn't restore to 1.4.1

My Nook came with 1.4.0 and was rooted. But I can now factory restore only to 1.4.1

deralaand

May 4, 2010
Becker
When you do a factory restore, you are basically got a brand new nt from the day you bought it. If it came with 1.4.0, then it will be reimaged to that, but if you got the newer batch that comes with 1.4.1, then you will have to use the acclaim sd method to get it back down to 1.4.0 in order to root.

This would be so much easier if we could use some type of imaging software like clonezilla or acronis to backup or restore.

os2k

Nov 30, 2011
FWIW, I did a factory reset last night by powering the nook on while pressing the n key only (none of the volume keys). I was presented with factory reset menu and reset the nook. Even though it was originally loaded with 1.4.0, the factory reset did not revert back to that version rather just maintained the current version - 1.4.1 - that was on the nook perior to the factory reset.

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
Right, I got that. What I mean is, if I did this on my Indirect-rooted tablet, would it undo the root and restore it to stock 1.4.0 like it had just come out of the box?

Just as I was saying, you will get an unrooted 1.4.0 stock after you do factory restore, or an unrooted 1.4.1 if you got the newer batch.

It was the ad-hoc way of "unroot" a few weeks back before Indirect got us one click unroot. We have come a long way...

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
This will not reset an NT to software version 1.4.0 if it already was a software version 1.4.1 from the factory. If the NT was purchased with v1.4.1 as default then that NT will have to wait for a rooting method that completely bypasses B&N bootup.

This method will undo Indirect's rooting method and should undo other's as well but that will have to be verified by people that have used other methods since I've only used Indirect's.

lessilb

Dec 30, 2011
Just as I was saying, you will get an unrooted 1.4.0 stock after you do factory restore, or an unrooted 1.4.1 if you got the newer batch.

It was the ad-hoc way of "unroot" a few weeks back before Indirect got us one click unroot. We have come a long way...

Nope. Not true. I had 1.4.0 originally and rooted it via the usb drivers/Nook&Zergy method. Having unrooted the device I am still stuck with 1.4.1 no matter what form of Factory Restore I use. And the acclaim_update does not work for me. I'm sending for some 2GB microSD cards. Hope springs eternal!

Reactions: steffin

Berryblue

Jul 23, 2011
Mine came with 1.4.0 and received the 1.4.1 via OTA. When I reset the device, it reverted to 1.4.0. Did your device come with 1.4.1? That may be why yours is only going back to 1.4.1.

Deltam

Dec 30, 2011
Unless I didn't do the factory restore right, my NT which came with 1.4.0 reset to 1.4.1. My 16GB Sandisk SDHC card would not work with the acclaim_update.zip. I purchased a 4GB Sandisk microSDHC card with adapter at Walmart for $9.88 (cheapest they had) and this worked with the acclaim_update.zip.

Can somebody verify that the factory restore when done right really does restore 1.4.0 rather than 1.4.1?

hookedonnook

Nov 2, 2011
Columbia
Getting panicky. I had root previously then got "upgraded" to 1.4.1. Have tried multiple ways of getting back to 1.4.0, all have which have left me with an unrooted Nook with 1.4.1.

The acclaim_update microSD was tried with 4GB, 8GB and 32GB microSD cards unmounted and erased on the Nook - didn't work

All of the combinations of Power, Volume and Home buttons have been tried and all have resulted in a default factory reset but after registration I'm still left with an unrooted Nook with system 1.4.1

No you are not. I received the update on the 26th...and judging by the posts it seems as if the OTA updates that were sent out during that time have a little something extra blocking the downgrade. I tried several different sd cards numerous times (more than 10), factory resets - more than 10. I have tried the register/deregister process and quickly turning off the wi-fi. The process runs,however, when finished it still reads 1.4.1. :eek:

Reactions: lessilb

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
No further updates to this method will be post here and any further updates to this method will only be posted in the Developer's Section Thread from now on.

***** Please post no further discussions in this thread! *****

Last edited:

lessilb

Dec 30, 2011
No you are not. I received the update on the 26th...and judging by the posts it seems as if the OTA updates that were sent out during that time have a little something extra blocking the downgrade. I tried several different sd cards numerous times (more than 10), factory resets - more than 10. I have tried the register/deregister process and quickly turning off the wi-fi. The process runs,however, when finished it still reads 1.4.1. :eek:

Thank you. I was getting paranoid. If we can't get a fix for this, I'll be off to ebay.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Unless I didn't do the factory restore right, my NT which came with 1.4.0 reset to 1.4.1. My 16GB Sandisk SDHC card would not work with the acclaim_update.zip. I purchased a 4GB Sandisk microSDHC card with adapter at Walmart for $9.88 (cheapest they had) and this worked with the acclaim_update.zip.

Can somebody verify that the factory restore when done right really does restore 1.4.0 rather than 1.4.1?

removed...

Last edited:

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
I see people is still a bit confused. This is alternative easier way of make a hard reset AKA "8 failed reboot reset" it will reset the /system to factory NOT /data, for wipe data AKA erase/de-register for the nook, AKA factory reset for most android devices you have to go to settings> device info > erase and de-register device. ALL the users that get the 1.4.1 should do the erase/de-register and after that using the acclaim_update.zip will take you back to 1.4.0 (This is the only one that does the job to revert back to stock 1.4.0), after that use this method to bring the "N" button back to life (In replacement of the 8 reboot reset trick), once done all that you'll have a fresh 1.4.0 out-of-the-box. Then go ahead and use the method you feel more comfortable with to root and block OTA.

* Hard reset - reset the /system folder to factory (removing gApps, restoring bloatware, removing root, etc)
* Factory reset - will wipe /data (All your installed apps will be gone)

PS: This thread should be renamed to Hard Reset not factory reset as i know being an android user for long that when you do a factory reset it will wipe /data

Veronica

Incorrect and explained in the dev section thread... this thread no longer followed/updated, as posted above.

You may hit me up via private message as well and we can collaborate on each of our trials and errors in real time if you wish.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that this does work and I have tested it several times to verify that it would work every time. I take no credit for figuring out this factory reset method as it was dcnarad that seems to have stumbled upon it. I do take credit for figuring out exactly how it is to be performed and have reposted it below correctly. dcnarad's post here is a bit haphazard and it slightly missed the mark as to how this actually needs to be performed so as to get to the factory reset screen properly.

Perform Factory Reset of the Nook Tablet:
    • PWR off the Nook Tablet.
    • Hold "PWR" & "" & "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons simultaneously to reboot.
    • Wait 2-3 seconds after reboot, release only the "PWR" & "" buttons upon receiving the " - Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated." screen while still maintaining to hold the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons.
    • The screen will blink a couple seconds later and then you will be presented with the Factory Reset screen with the following options:
      • Do you want to reset your device to the factory default?

• Are you sure?
      • This will delete all your content and restore the device to the factory default settings.

I even accidentally let go of the "VOL+" & "VOL-" buttons once while testing this a few times but quickly pushed them back down again and was still given the factory reset screen so this method works even with a little goof like that. This worked since holding down "VOL+" & "VOL-" the buttons was found to actually be unnecessary.

ENJOY!

NOTE: "HOME key" = "" button

NOTE 2: After some discussion with others, I decided to "take one for the team" and experiment with software version 1.4.1 update. I manually updated my Nook Tablet to software version 1.4.1 via the software download from bn.com. I applied to update and then did a factory reset of the device after booting into v1.4.1. I can confirm that if your NT has been updated to v1.4.1 then a FACTORY RESET will reset your NT to factory default settings of software version 1.4.1 and your NT will not revert to v1.4.0. It seems that B&N has pulled another fast one by over-writing the device's original factory software as well with this update. I was able to revert my NT to v1.4.0 via AdamOutler's Restore Barnes & Noble Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard afterwards with only the one issue. The "" button was not working after the device initially booted up into v1.4.0 but applying a second factory reset to the device solved this issue.
    Cannot reset to 1.4.0

Nope. Not true. I had 1.4.0 originally and rooted it via the usb drivers/Nook&Zergy method. Having unrooted the device I am still stuck with 1.4.1 no matter what form of Factory Restore I use. And the acclaim_update does not work for me. I'm sending for some 2GB microSD cards. Hope springs eternal!