• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Quick guide I knocked up for Mango update - Updated with Sideload unlock

Search This thread

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
If you fancy giving it a try, I've knocked a guide up as I did mine.

http://www.nakedcleaner.com/2011/06/omnia-7-mango-update/ for those that want to.

I've updated it to include the sideload unlock, there is another method using the Samsung Diagnostic tools, but that's more complex. However if anyone want's to know that method then shout and I'll write it up here.

Last edited:

s7yler

Oct 22, 2009
www.youtube.com
nice!

Thats a very nice guide! thanks.

I have some few questions I hope you can answer for me.

1. My Omnia 7 is officially developerunlocked so I dont need to do all the things with the ChevronWP7.cer etc or? thats just the trick for those who cant get developerunlocked the officially way?

2. Do I have to do the "Remove Sideload Limit, and the Prevent Device From Relocking" when I have developer unlocked my device the officially way?

3. Is it correct understood that I can just jump over all in the beginning of the guide and go directly to the part "◦ OK, close Zune, we now need to install the beta version of Zune and the dev stuff......."?

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
Thats a very nice guide! thanks.

I have some few questions I hope you can answer for me.

1. My Omnia 7 is officially developerunlocked so I dont need to do all the things with the ChevronWP7.cer etc or? thats just the trick for those who cant get developerunlocked the officially way?

2. Do I have to do the "Remove Sideload Limit, and the Prevent Device From Relocking" when I have developer unlocked my device the officially way?

3. Is it correct understood that I can just jump over all in the beginning of the guide and go directly to the part "◦ OK, close Zune, we now need to install the beta version of Zune and the dev stuff......."?

Yup, if officially unlocked your good to go (skip all the stuff). Although the sideload limit might still be of note, as you probably have either a 3 (Student) or 10 (Normal dev) limit for sideloaded apps, that bypasses them. However the Mango update kills all the apps that use COM, so kinda useless for most homebrew at the moment anyhow.

giobooo

Feb 15, 2009
Rome
Thanks. I have a question... after applying mango will you be able to enter download mode to flash an older firmware? does mango beta change your bootloader? This would be very interesting because it means that we can update without having any problem reverting back to stock roms!

s7yler

Oct 22, 2009
www.youtube.com
:)

everything worked fine with the update(s), I am running Mango now, but it seems that Mango blocks all homebrew apps. The Samsung Tool cant be started anymore. A thing that could be good to mention also.

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
everything worked fine with the update(s), I am running Mango now, but it seems that Mango blocks all homebrew apps. The Samsung Tool cant be started anymore. A thing that could be good to mention also.

Thought everyone realised that Mango deactivates all Dev Unlocks. Only way to get it unlocked again is to....... Get an LG with the Reg Editor built in :( For now at least anyhow.

You can kind of go half way house, and get the first 'Mango' update, before the second update and HomeBrew still works with that. However that's just a prep update and not actually Mango, so most of the interesting features are missing.

I wonder, if we set the permissions on the registry key before the update so System cannot change it will we keep the DevMode? hmmm.. Might try 'knocking up' a little app to test that, That is as long as the WP7 registry supports permission set's like the Windows one... Anyone know?

Oh and updated the post to point out HomeBrew gets disabled for now.

Last edited:

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
It's a London/South East'ism too ;)

Nice guide,
I was just trying to grab the files to try this out tomorrow, but the "Mango stuff" link has a temp block from Dropbox. :(

Anyone else got it stashed somewhere ?

Sorry about the dropbox link being turned off. I'm uploading them to my Host at the moment so those that need them grab them there.

Last edited:
Reactions: lzyla

lzyla

Mar 15, 2009
Krakow
Broken download mode ;-(

Hi mate,
I was on 3 Uk omnia 7, simunlocked and debrandded to T-mobile rom, nodo update.
I followed your guide to get mango update yesterday night which resulted in broken download mode for me.
I cannot access download mode anymore, when I press the key combination I get the USB connection screen (with phone, pc and a cable).
Any idea how to fix it?
Please help.

The worst part is that I actually did remove my ZUNE and installed devZune from the guide which killed my only chance to revert to old firmware ;-(

My bootloaders is now 4.10.1.9 which is said to be tha faulty one ;-(
In my opinion the problem is connected to the ROM version you suggested in your guide. As I do not have the JIG looks like I'm lost.
Maybe you should investigate this isssue not to let other people brake their devices...

Last edited:

lzyla

Mar 15, 2009
Krakow
I just did ;-)
I've built my own JIG out of 301k resistor and old chinese car charger ;-)
reflashed to I8700 XEN I8700XENJK1
and download mode is back ;-)
I keep working on mango update following the guide...
I'll let you know the result later.

lzyla

Mar 15, 2009
Krakow
Wow
It`s a new phone now.
If you still haven`t updated - do it now.
I did have few problems during the update process but finally succeeded.
Thank you for the guide ;)

4dec05ab-afd8-ee49.jpg
4dec05ab-afe9-707f.jpg

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

panzercool

Sep 12, 2008
I'm facing a problem !!

I'm stuck @ the NoDo update step. i'm trying to force NoDo using Chevron.WP7.updater but it keeps crashing as soon as I choose the language and press enter. I'm now stuck on 7008 update.

:(
Can somebody help here please !

UPDATE : Reflashed with the UK retail ROM and i was able to recieve the NoDo update.

Running Mango now !!! and I'm loving it !!!! :)

Last edited:

lzyla

Mar 15, 2009
Krakow
hmmm. I had similar problem.
solved it by not using the chevron updater...
my idea:
0. remove all the wp7 dev software, devzune, all the tools provided in the guide. In my case I also had few crashes. install only the wp7 dev tools, DO NOT INSTALL force nodo fixes and tools...
1. try going to XENJK1 rom instead of the one provided in the guide. email yourself chevron cert, sideunlock the phone, try going to zune - in my case update was there waiting for me so I could update the regular way - chevron updater didn't work for me ;-(
2. remember to sideunlock the phone before every next flash and force it not to lock again (followed by reboot)
3. I had similar problem in the step where you go from nodo to pre mango - try playing with removing the pc software and tools, usb drivers etc. - it helped in my case.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you fancy giving it a try, I've knocked a guide up as I did mine.

http://www.nakedcleaner.com/2011/06/omnia-7-mango-update/ for those that want to.

I've updated it to include the sideload unlock, there is another method using the Samsung Diagnostic tools, but that's more complex. However if anyone want's to know that method then shout and I'll write it up here.
    It's a London/South East'ism too ;)

Nice guide,
    I was just trying to grab the files to try this out tomorrow, but the "Mango stuff" link has a temp block from Dropbox. :(

Anyone else got it stashed somewhere ?

Sorry about the dropbox link being turned off. I'm uploading them to my Host at the moment so those that need them grab them there.