• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [r1] arter97 kernel for OnePlus 9 series

Search This thread

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
Another new alpha build is up with big changes yet again.
I still have quite a few TODOs left, but I ported many changes from my OnePlus 7 Pro kernel.

Wi-Fi will behave differently with this kernel, so please let me know if you encounter Wi-Fi issues.

r1a7

Wi-Fi configuration merged with the latest CAF
Wi-Fi's rx_wakelock disabled and removed
Support for WireGuard added
Bunch of memory optimizations
Bunch of optimizations for screen and the GPU driver
Only issue I have experienced so far,on the 9(non pro), is while in landscape pulling down quick settings,there is major stuttering. Other than that,I have not had a problem yet. Running r7 all day

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
Milwaukee
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus 9
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the Bionic/libc error during the flashing process consequential? The rest of the process completes successfully. It also seems to be runninf fine on my OP9. I want to see if ACC works properly with this kernel. It wouldnt work with stock or OOS based kernels.
Screenshot_20210919-132438.jpg

Last edited:

Buslova

Jan 11, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Fs, but please show your intelligence and explain it next time.
arter97 has been around making kernels (and other stuffz) for a long time now. their kernels have been the base for others and even what some ROMs have used baked in their ROM in the past. they're kind of a big name which is why you're seeing some of us excited to see them working on a kernel for our device.

xontax

Dec 17, 2011
Was using this kernel briefly, and just updated to 11.2.9.9 (Global), had to flash stock vendor_boot, dtbo, and boot to be able to upgrade.

During my brief time using the kernel, had a minor issue whereby AUX (via USB-C) in my car wasn't working.

BTW thanks for the awesome kernel, planning to use it once wireguard support is added!
Is there an easy way to reflash another kernel without bootloop?

The dev should have take care of this tbh

Thank you for the kernel! I have some issues by the way.

- Battery life seems to be worse than before (I was using crDroid before switching back to OOS tho, maxbe it's the same, not a big problem anyway)
- Type-C to Jack converter does not work (It doesn't even recognize it)

For the second issues, is there anything i can do? I already tried rebooting, enabling USB Audio stuff in developer options and OTG, none of them worked.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
After using this, I attempted to go back to my previous kernel and ended up bricking my device. Unable to restore vis MSM Tool. Attempted stock boot image flash and factory reset without success. Attempted fastboot rom flash, which only made things worse. Down hard.
did you flash your dtbo and vendor backups when flashing back to your previous kernel?

Top Liked Posts

Hola, ¿dónde podemos descargar este deshabilitador TPD?
    Hello.flash via magisk
    How did you get soo good idle drain? Mine is somewhere around 2 - 2.5%/hour in this kernel. Also how did you manage to get high deep sleep %? Mine never goes above 80% even after using naptime. Pleae tell me🥺🥺
    Tbh I have no idea. I don't use always on display + these stats are after 2 nights so that might be why the average is so low. I also don't use many social networks and those I use I put to optimize battery setting. No tik tok, Instagram or such trash :D
    After using the kernel myself and daily driving for few days and monitoring how the kernel behaves, I now feel comfortable to mark it stable.

r1 is released.

The original post is re-written to feature what's special with this kernel.
    Please take your time and re-read the original post.
    r1a10 is up. (r1a9 is skipped as an internal build)

This build now drastically changes the file-system code, bringing it from v5.4 to v5.15 (mainline Linux) with 13K code line changes.

While I expect it to be stable, there might be a possibility that it may end up causing incompatibilities with the OnePlus 9's encryption code.

So please, back up your data before using this build if you haven't already.

Another notable change is that the USB OTG and Type-C audio jack is also fixed.

r1a10

Merged the latest Qualcomm LA.UM.9.14.r1-18300-LAHAINA.0 tag
    Fixed USB OTG and Type-C audio jack
    Merged the mainline f2fs from Linux v5.15
    r1a13 is up for minor bug fix.
    Previous builds may have silently corrupted memory due to zram. All users are advised to upgrade to r1a13.

r1a13
    Hashing algorithm switched from crc32c to xxh64 from zram to reduce collision
    Another alpha build with a lot of changes, r1a12 is up.

Now, my kernel's TODO list is done and I hope this kernel is stable enough so that I can move on from the "alpha" tag.
    I'm still marking it an alpha as a lot changed.

I've re-uploaded r1a12 as r1a11 was durped.

r1a12
    Linux v5.4.150 merged
    Touchscreen optimizations
    Disabled debugging/unnecessary configs to optimize performance
    Backported SELinux from mainline Linux for better performance
    Backported BFQ scheduler from mainline Linux for better performance
    Backported mremap optimizations (see here for more info)
    Fixed more issues related to Type-C audio dongles (thanks to @Freak07)
    Backported some meaningful swap memory management commits from mainline
    Switched to LRNG for better RNG performance (see here for more info)
    Fixed zram writeback not working properly with previous builds
    Ported device-specific memory optimizations from my previous OnePlus 7 kernel
    Enabled ThinLTO for better compiler optimizations
    Another alpha build is up.
    You should now be able to use more apps without reloading.

This build will now start to override ROM files using execprog (meaning it's still systemless).
    The most notable ones are zram and optimized cpuset.

In theory, this build should consume much less power than previous builds with hopefully unnoticeable degradation in performance.

r1a8

Swap/zram enabled
    zram writeback enabled (see here for more info)
    zram/zsmalloc backported from mainline Linux
    Display-related processes' CPU affinity adjusted for better power efficiency
    Readahead optimized
    arter97-xda.png

arter97 kernel for OnePlus 9 series running OxygenOS

/* Features */

Supports OnePlus 9 series
    Fully rebased kernel without unnecessary OnePlus code
    Latest CAF msm-5.4 kernel fully merged
    Latest Linux v5.4 subversion merged
    Latest Google’s security fix merged
    BBR as the default TCP network congestion control
    Features the latest WireGuard
    Modules support disabled for lighter kernel
    Latest Wi-Fi drivers from Qualcomm with customized config
    Built with Clang 12 and ThinLTO
    Power optimizations
    Memory management optimizations
    Latest SELinux subsystem backported from mainline
    Latest f2fs backported from mainline
    Latest BFQ I/O scheduler backported from mainline
    mmap/mremap backported from mainline for a major performance boost
    Touchscreen optimizations for lower latency
    Uses LRNG for better performance

/* Details */

- Fully rebased kernel without unnecessary OnePlus code -

This kernel is not based on the stock OxygenOS kernel source provided by OnePlus. Instead, it’s based on the latest and greatest Qualcomm has to offer. Only the necessary parts from the OnePlus kernel have been cherry-picked, such as OnePlus 9 specific device drivers.

This effectively kills all kernel modifications/optimizations from OnePlus, including the infamous app throttler.
    Due to the completely different base, this kernel will behave drastically different from other kernels, in both good and bad ways.

- Power optimizations -

This kernel makes some conscious decisions for reducing power consumption.

First, the stock OnePlus configuration forces display-related processes to use the big cores exclusively.
    This configuration brings a huge power regression since it makes every frame dispatch to wake up and use the power-hungry cores.

This kernel resets this profile to use the configuration Google recommends, which is to use the LITTLE cores exclusively instead.

Second, this kernel disables wakelocks upon Wi-Fi’s RX unicast packet transmissions. qcom_rx_wakelock is one of the major culprits to increased idle power consumption. Although its total wakelock time is quite low, it's catched very frequently and prevents the system from entering suspend repeatedly.

As dropping unicast or local ARP packets doesn’t pose practical issues on Android, this kernel disables qcom_rx_wakelock.

Third, this kernel reduces the duration of the Bluetooth ISR wakelock from 2 seconds to 100ms. This was done from an observation that the average userspace response time from ISR is less than 10ms.
    My kernels have been doing this for years and no Bluetooth-related issues were reported.

Fourth, the vibrator driver used in this kernel no longer controls the cpuidle driver. The stock kernel disables the cpuidle whenever the vibrator is used. This kernel disables it as the vibrator is not that sensitive to deadline misses.

There are other small improvements throughout the kernel tree as well.

- Memory management optimizations -

This kernel disables LMKD and uses an in-kernel solution called SimpleLMK, made by kerneltoast. You can track how often SimpleLMK kicks in by monitoring:
    Code:
    /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/lmk_count

This kernel also changes a lot related to swap and zram.

The swap-related code has been backported from Linux v5.9 (link1, link2) to efficiently support fast swap device and allow swappiness over 100. This kernel currently sets swappiness to 160 on < 6GB of RAM, 120 on 8GB and 90 on 12GB.

zram has been also backported from mainline Linux and further tweaked to use block device writeback. This is equivalent to the recent “RAM Plus” feature that companies have been marketing that uses the internal storage to extend RAM.

This kernel uses zram writeback to offload idle pages (i.e., really, really unused RAM) to the internal storage. As it's extremely slow to bring pages back from UFS, writeback code works quite conservatively. It'll start to writeback pages that haven't been used for a day or two. It makes use of the hidden 2GB “last_parti” partition from the UFS storage.

Along with zram writeback, this kernel also enables deduplication with xxHash. Each page stored in zram is checked for deduplication to further save memory. With these 2 features combined, RAM reaching 1GB is additionally saved, but your mileage may vary.

The post boot script used in the stock ROM is also overridden and it sets the readahead to 128KB. As I/O workload under Android is mostly random, high readahead doesn’t help and only increases memory thrashing.

This kernel also incorporates a lot of patches to reduce/optimize memory allocations used throughout the entire kernel.

mmap/mremap code was also backported from Linux v5.10 to optimize ART (see here for more info).

- Latest subsystems -

This kernel backports the SELinux subsystem from mainline Linux. This includes caching improvements that drastically reduces time spent on lookups. 10K lines of code has been changed.

This kernel also backports f2fs (Flash-Friendly File System) from mainline Linux. This includes bug fixes and performance improvements such as shorter discard latency, more optimized GC logic for Android, and checkpoint merging.

BFQ I/O scheduler has also been backported from mainline Linux for better I/O performance.

- LRNG -

This kernel ditches the traditional RNG driver from the Linux kernel in favor of LRNG. See here and here for more info.

A rudimentary throughput benchmark shows an improvement of 10.5% (keep in mind that this is only one aspect of an RNG metric).

/* Notice */

Only OxygenOS on Android 11 is supported.

This kernel touches vendor_boot and dtbo partitions, meaning you'd need to restore said partitions whenever you're switching to another kernel or stock.
    Please make a back-up of these partitions. The installer doesn’t do this automatically for you. Installing the stock ROM with a full OTA restores said partitions as well.

/* Disclaimer */

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.

/* Thanks to */

Vishalcj17
    kristofpetho
    kdrag0n
    kerneltoast (SultanXDA)

/* Instructions */

1. Read the above. Please.
    2. Flash the zip file from FK Kernel Manager. Any other installation methods are untested.

/* Downloads and links */

arter97.com
    Kernel source
    Telegram chat link
    After using the kernel myself and daily driving for few days and monitoring how the kernel behaves, I now feel comfortable to mark it stable.

r1 is released.

The original post is re-written to feature what's special with this kernel.
    Please take your time and re-read the original post.
    Another new alpha build is up with big changes yet again.
    I still have quite a few TODOs left, but I ported many changes from my OnePlus 7 Pro kernel.

Wi-Fi will behave differently with this kernel, so please let me know if you encounter Wi-Fi issues.

r1a7

Wi-Fi configuration merged with the latest CAF
    Wi-Fi's rx_wakelock disabled and removed
    Support for WireGuard added
    Bunch of memory optimizations
    Bunch of optimizations for screen and the GPU driver
    r1a10 is up. (r1a9 is skipped as an internal build)

This build now drastically changes the file-system code, bringing it from v5.4 to v5.15 (mainline Linux) with 13K code line changes.

While I expect it to be stable, there might be a possibility that it may end up causing incompatibilities with the OnePlus 9's encryption code.

So please, back up your data before using this build if you haven't already.

Another notable change is that the USB OTG and Type-C audio jack is also fixed.

r1a10

Merged the latest Qualcomm LA.UM.9.14.r1-18300-LAHAINA.0 tag
    Fixed USB OTG and Type-C audio jack
    Merged the mainline f2fs from Linux v5.15
    r1a13 is up for minor bug fix.
    Previous builds may have silently corrupted memory due to zram. All users are advised to upgrade to r1a13.

r1a13
    Hashing algorithm switched from crc32c to xxh64 from zram to reduce collision