• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Radio App

Search This thread

michelinoO

Dec 19, 2010
IT
t.me
Hello,
Someone has possibility to use radio FM?

I saw on some review that FM radio was working. Can be the European version doesn't have?

Thank you

Reactions: Edward205

hendrickchan

Jun 23, 2009
Thank you,

Please can you share the apk or firmware version?
Screenshot_20210521-195526469.jpg

Reactions: michelinoO

Asterikus74

May 22, 2021
If you see by mixexplorer, in system/app there are asusfm radio apk, maybe in the eu isn't allowed :)
Hi , I live in EU country and no radio fm in this Ron but I have found it as apk in system/app, installed it but it doesn’t work like if it was blocked; I saw that manifest file let you modify some lines, like an editor, but I would not know which to change ..

jk77

Dec 30, 2013
Hello,
would somebody know the reason why the EU version has no FM radio ?

But isn't that only for Italy?

Short summary: From this January 1, 2021, all smartphones equipped with fm radio that have been sold so far in Italy will have to turn off the service in order to comply with the official Law, when they don't comply with the new requirements (Fm radios must also mandatorily receive Dab+ services, i.e. the latest generation digital radio)

Reactions: jk77

xire68

Mar 7, 2011
Roma
Radio app is present, but disabled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-130210271.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-130210271.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 178

grootzy

Jul 27, 2021
The two needed packages for FM radio are disabled by /system/etc/cust_pms/CountryCode/EU.xml I produced a magisk module to patch this back but I couldn't find a way to get those system apps (which are present on the device) to reinstall themselves. I extracted and manually reinstalled them but then it said a library was unavailable to the service, so I patched that as well.

After doing that I'm able to open the radio app which at a low level I believe is accessing /dev/radio0 via the associated service, but it wouldn't tune or play any audio so something else is still missing. I don't know whether they have disabled the FM radio hardware somewhere else or excluded it from the kernel or similar or whether it is just due to the system app not being installed properly. I had to open it from Settings -> Apps as it didn't show in the launcher which doesn't feel right.

I'd love to collaborate with anyone else to try to get this working as its annoying that its disabled when I could have imported a grey market device and got more features. Thanks.

Reactions: zegoo and nilezon

zegoo

Feb 21, 2010
Hello, i'm very intersting to buy this phone but how to get a North America variant for using in France ?
What about the reference ? And where could we find it ?

It seems there is an unique firmware on Asus site. So i suppose all of the modules needed are presents in the firmware. Maybe, we just have to delete/replace the /system/etc/cust_pms/CountryCode/EU.xml file ?!

zegoo

Feb 21, 2010
@grootzy , hello, could you share your magisk module to modify the EU.xml please ?
Did you suceed regarding FM working ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The two needed packages for FM radio are disabled by /system/etc/cust_pms/CountryCode/EU.xml I produced a magisk module to patch this back but I couldn't find a way to get those system apps (which are present on the device) to reinstall themselves. I extracted and manually reinstalled them but then it said a library was unavailable to the service, so I patched that as well.

After doing that I'm able to open the radio app which at a low level I believe is accessing /dev/radio0 via the associated service, but it wouldn't tune or play any audio so something else is still missing. I don't know whether they have disabled the FM radio hardware somewhere else or excluded it from the kernel or similar or whether it is just due to the system app not being installed properly. I had to open it from Settings -> Apps as it didn't show in the launcher which doesn't feel right.

I'd love to collaborate with anyone else to try to get this working as its annoying that its disabled when I could have imported a grey market device and got more features. Thanks.
    Hello,

I saw on some review that FM radio was working. Can be the European version doesn't have?

Thank you
    Hello,

Thank you
    I got mine in Asia and the FM radio is working with wired headphones.
    Thank you,

Please can you share the apk or firmware version?
    Screenshot_20210521-195526469.jpg