Radios Dropping

Search This thread

enormous

Feb 17, 2008
D.C. Area
I've tried that and it's still dropping... Would PRL/Profile also effect my Wifi connection? All data connections drop.
I'm having the same issue with Wifi. It'll still show as being "connected", but there won't be any data coming through. I'll have to toggle Wifi on/off to get it back. Sometimes it'll work for a couple of hours before having the data issue again, sometimes less than a minute.

I'm on stock, rooted.

chunology

Jan 6, 2011
Turn off the connections optimizer :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Connections optimizer has been turned off AND frozen using TiB from day one. So that's obviously not it.

Connections optimizer is off for me too - My phone shows a clear signal disconnect and reconnect (The wifi bars/3g symbol disappears completely) during this time all data connections fails - including texts. This is happening when I'm staying in one area so it couldn't be a tower reconnection issue.

I'm going to try taking my phone into a sprint store today to see what they say.

enormous

Feb 17, 2008
D.C. Area
Connections optimizer is off for me too - My phone shows a clear signal disconnect and reconnect (The wifi bars/3g symbol disappears completely) during this time all data connections fails - including texts. This is happening when I'm staying in one area so it couldn't be a tower reconnection issue.

I'm going to try taking my phone into a sprint store today to see what they say.

Ah, it sounds like our issues may be different then. My issue is solely with Wi-Fi (haven't noticed issues with 3G). When it happens for me the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar doesn't change, I just can't connect to anything.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, it sounds like our issues may be different then. My issue is solely with Wi-Fi (haven't noticed issues with 3G). When it happens for me the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar doesn't change, I just can't connect to anything.

Yup, same here. Seems like the 3G radio does the same thing, but not necessarily at the same time as the WIFI. At first I thought is was only the WIFI too, but 3G is affected, though not to as severe a degree. My WIFI was actually disconnecting and failing to reconnect. Turning off connection manager made no difference. I did however notice that the WIFI at my work (WEP encryption) never seemed to do this (at least I didn't notice), so I changed my home network WPA to WEP and sure enough, it stays connected. Was still failing to load occasionally, so I went even further and changed the router to a single channel rather than "Auto" and set it to "N Only" (due to having a similar problem with a laptop I used to have, with a similar solution). Problem fixed. I'm using an Amped R10000 just FYI, not sure if it matters. Very annoying, and given the number of occurances being sufficient to start a thread, I'm assuming this is a common issue and will hopefully be fixed by a firmware update. In the meantime, we should probably all start calling Sprint daily and complaining. Maybe they're not even aware of it. Probably not enough of these phones in circulation yet for them to worry about it.

ProCision

Feb 13, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
Mine will do this from time to time. Stock not rooted. I will have full 3g bars and full wifi bars and my data will just hang. If I turn off wifi everything works again. Some times when I load a game that has to connect to Facebook to play against friends I have to close the app/game, remove it from memory and reload it to get the data to work. Same thing for Pandora. It will load a song to 2% and hang until I stop wifi or reboot the phone. It's not an everyday thing but some days are worse then others.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium HD app

lennykravitz2004

Feb 21, 2012
Where'd you go to high school?
"Good to see" from the perspective I thought it was just me. Things described by others happening to me as well. Personally, I find I like the wifi/3g auto connectivity feature - when it works. Got my SGNII on Thurs last week, and connected to wifi at work on Friday no issues. This morning, the Note picked up my work wifi without a hitch.

At home, over the weekend, I was getting spotty connection, sometimes no connection to my wifi. (Disclaimer - I have my main wifi @ N/5ghz. An access point was added with wireless G via an old Netgear router-turned-AP.) After several attempts of moving the AP from one cat6 jack to another, I finally moved it to my main level. Oddly enough, so far, so good. Certainly possible the router's radio is pooping out.

What I notice happen with connection issues though seem related to the Note seeing my wireless G, trying to connect, but unable to do so until/unless I reboot my phone. After moving to the new location/jack, everything seems to work OK now (knock on wood).

Having said that... I also think the 3g radio (HW or SW?) is a bit wonky, as my old HTC Hero seemed to have more bars at home, IIRC. Whatever it is, just seems a bit lacking, IMHO.

kobhomye

Sep 29, 2010
Sprint is updating to LTE in many markets ive noticed my 3G drops says preparing networks and reestablishes the connection to 3G. I live in Fort Wayne and issue the permits for the tower co-locates and they are close to going live with LTE here so I know thats my problem. I can live with the flakiness for a few more days. I have not had issues with WIFI drops at home.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

ajsmsg78

The same thing has been happening to me here on Long Island. 3g drops and reconnects. Sometimes it doesn't and a reboot fixes it. I also notice after the disconnect and reconnect it states my PRL is unknown. I have done a PRL update many times, a Profile Update, a RTN reset, and a factory reset. This happens on the stock rom and any custom ROM. It's driving me insane!

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
hmm maybe mobile settings?
Ive found LTE/CDMA setting to be not so good.
Its providing me eHRPD signal which is stop and go web browsing is murder.
CDMA only setting is providing Rev A signal fast web browsing

chunology

Jan 6, 2011
Sigh, so it seems as if you guys are losing wifi/3g....is it affecting voice radios or LOS/dropped calls?

I haven't been on the phone when it's happened so I couldn't tell you - Nothing like the LOS on the E4GT. When the data connection does cut out it immediately reconnects. Doesn't really impair the functionality of the phone but it happens enough to be annoying. With a 300$ price tag I expect my device to be without defect.

Flak

Feb 18, 2006

This ^, I have been having lots of problems with the Note 2 and connectivity. Especially with my airvana. Changing from LTE/CDMA to CDMA fixed all my problems including the random drop/reconnects with WiFi.

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Sigh, so it seems as if you guys are losing wifi/3g....is it affecting voice radios or LOS/dropped calls?
I'm not having LOS /dropped calls just data creep with LTE/Cdma setting enabled.
Speed test show same data speed numbers as CDMA only setting but when browsing data arrows tend to pause more making for slower page upload with LTE/CDMA setting enabled.
According to Sprint store tech such performance is common with that setting.

Last edited:

ajsmsg78

I am on CDMA only. I should have mentioned that in my first post. This does affect phone calls too as ill be on the phone and the call will drop and the "out of service area" message comes up. It doesnt matter if I'm on my Airave or not. I tried different prls which doesn't seem to make a difference. I am starting to think there is something wrong with the phone as my girlfriends S3 doesn't do this. Maybe Samsung will release some sort of update to fix this issue.

enormous

Feb 17, 2008
D.C. Area
This ^, I have been having lots of problems with the Note 2 and connectivity. Especially with my airvana. Changing from LTE/CDMA to CDMA fixed all my problems including the random drop/reconnects with WiFi.

I made the change back to CDMA only mode this morning and it has solved my WiFi issues as well. I was also struggling getting a GPS lock with LTE enabled. GPS toolkit would show 20/21 satellites found but it would never get a lock. After the reboot back into CDMA mode it locked in 5 seconds.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone have an issue with their phone randomly dropping Wifi/Cell connections? Sometimes it doesn't happen for a day or two sometimes it happens 3 times in 5 minutes.

Starting to think my phone is defective...
    If you are on a custom rom try going back to stock and see if it's the same. If stock try to update profile

Sent from my t0ltespr
    No Bluetooth on here. I dont have a problem with the wireless at all, just the radio. I've tried everything. Today I spoke to customer service and they sent me out a new phone. They said it may be defective. When I get the replacement I will let you all know the outcome.
    I'm just going to take mine back tomorrow hopefully they have more by now, at the store I went to....

I don't think its a phone issue. Hopefully itd tower or software. Ive had 2 different note 2s and they bith experience this randomly.
    I received my replacement phone today. Sprint customer service was awesome and sent me a new one right away and I received it in less than 24 hours. Needless to say that the problem is fixed. The new phone has a much stronger signal and hasn't dropped once. So to those of you who have the radio issues, try exchanging it for a new one. It solved my issues.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone