Question Random reboot - any Pixel 6 (non pro) users affected?

Search This thread
Nov 9, 2021
Hi! I experienced a big crash on the pixel 6. When I was configuring telegram, the app crashed and then the screen got black. After a minute it rebooted to the Google logo with a loading bar underneath. It was blocked in that state, but I could reboot it with volume up + power button.

I was pretty scared as the usual button down + power button didn't do anything lol

Nov 9, 2021
I've had my p6 Pro since 10/25 and haven't had any major issues with it at all (knock on wood).

The past few days however I've noticed that my p6 Pro would ask me to input my pin because it's been restarted.. it's done this maybe 4 times so far. After reading your post just now. I then realized that I had recently downloaded a few apps (one from playstore one not) : remini was one of them and telegram was the other.

Last edited:

THRUSTer

Jul 11, 2014
Dayton
www.aashishbharadwaj.com
I've had my p6 Pro since 10/25 and haven't had any major issues with it at all (knock on wood).

The past few days however I've noticed that my p6 Pro would ask me to input my pin because it's been restarted.. it's done this maybe 4 times so far. After reading your post just now. I then realized that I had recently downloaded a few apps (one from playstore one not) : remini was one of them and telegram was the other.
The Pixel will cause you to enter your pin a lot because “device was manually locked”, even if it didn’t reboot.

THRUSTer

Jul 11, 2014
Dayton
www.aashishbharadwaj.com
Mine actually shut down while I was charging and wouldn’t turn back on for several minutes.

After it did, it said it had shut down due to overheating (it wasn’t hot). But it also said it was charging when it wasn’t even plugged in!

When I actually plugged it in, it force shut off and went into the charging screen. Eventually it discharged fully and won’t charge back up or turn on. It’s bricked and they’re sending me an RMA.

The RMA was supposed to be here by today but it hasn’t even shipped.

Nov 9, 2021
Not sure if everyone in this thread will get a notification after I post this (I'm new to this site), but ive been one of the P6 Pro users that has had a bit of an issue with my phone restarting itself while idle.

Upon posting my thoughts here and scouring the web for answers, digging through threads to find a possible cause or fix I discovered someone mentioning that while dealing with their device randomly rebooting while idle they would periodically get a message saying that pixel launcher is not responding followed by the option to stop it, wait or something else I forget what it was.. I quickly remembered that I had gotten these messages once or twice also. This person mentioned that they had attempted to mitigate this issue by using a different launcher and claimed that the issue had stopped by doing this.

Of course willing to try anything to get this to stop and went ahead and redownloaded my Nova launcher and fired it up. I'm not claiming it's a fix. But it's notable that I too have not had the rebooting issue since I made this change. It's been about 2 days now.

nelstar1

Nov 12, 2021
I had the same random restart /reboot issue when idle on my Pixel 6 128gb non-pro . It happened on or off charge.

I now have received a replacement Pixel 6 128gb non-pro again and restored from the same Pixel 2 backup as before and completed the same final app setups. The replacement has not rebooted so far, 4 days as of writing.

More detail:

The device I received at first would restart during the night between 00:00-01:00 every two days. It then began to reboot during the day also when off charge.. I tried factory reset and safe mode, this did not help. I made sure to try different chargers. When it rebooted during the day, this was the point to order a replacement.

There is more combinations I could have tried to narrow down the issue, but I had enough. It is almost certainly a hardware issue in my case. Lets hope the new one stays ok.

In case batch matters. I am in the UK near London. Received faulty first device from C***ys on 27th Oct. The new, to date, working device arrived on 09th Nov from the same retailer.

I hope this helps people.

Addition: I am using stock launcher.

Addition 2: The problematic first P6 non-pro device did not get hot at any point before the restarts.

Last edited:

nraudigy2

Sep 16, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Mine actually shut down while I was charging and wouldn’t turn back on for several minutes.

After it did, it said it had shut down due to overheating (it wasn’t hot). But it also said it was charging when it wasn’t even plugged in!

When I actually plugged it in, it force shut off and went into the charging screen. Eventually it discharged fully and won’t charge back up or turn on. It’s bricked and they’re sending me an RMA.

The RMA was supposed to be here by today but it hasn’t even shipped.
Mine sometimes won't wireless charge. Wired charging works ever time though. Have not seen random reboot yet. I wonder if people are using old SIM card.

MosaabA

Apr 20, 2016
I have the Pixel 6.

I started having the same issues after the 5th of November update.
My device would suddenly shutdown whenever I go outside, when I investigated the issue, it seemed like whenever I'm using 5G network, the phone would crash.
I tried to find logs, but sadly it's hard to do without adb (afaik).

I was able to replicate the issue by turning Wi-Fi off, restarting the device, then as soon as I put in the PIN, I use any app the uses data, the device would instantly turn off.

I later found out that whenever that happens, the lower portion of the device (right behind the fingerprint reader) would get extremely hot.

It might be worth mentioning that I charged the device using USB type C through my USB PC ports (which is not problematic as I use it to charge other devices)

At last, the device could not connect to my carrier network AT ALL (not being able to receive calls, etc) so I sent it for RMA

Nov 9, 2021
I have the Pixel 6.

I started having the same issues after the 5th of November update.
My device would suddenly shutdown whenever I go outside, when I investigated the issue, it seemed like whenever I'm using 5G network, the phone would crash.
I tried to find logs, but sadly it's hard to do without adb (afaik).

I was able to replicate the issue by turning Wi-Fi off, restarting the device, then as soon as I put in the PIN, I use any app the uses data, the device would instantly turn off.

I later found out that whenever that happens, the lower portion of the device (right behind the fingerprint reader) would get extremely hot.

It might be worth mentioning that I charged the device using USB type C through my USB PC ports (which is not problematic as I use it to charge other devices)

At last, the device could not connect to my carrier network AT ALL (not being able to receive calls, etc) so I sent it for RMA
Yes, although I didn't outline it in my post, I was also having issues with the device getting hot at the bottom of the screen in the middle. It seemed like the more I used it the hotter it got. That along with the phone randomly rebooting is why I finally decided to just get it replaced.

Sidenote about getting it replaced: My replacement was supposed to come in yesterday, I did receive a box... However the box was empty. Somewhere out there there's a FedEx employee enjoying my pixel 6 pro.

I suggest that you have your replacement shipped to a FedEx location for pickup

rsr86301

Dec 4, 2021
Using Pixel 6 (non-pro) 128gb with 5 Nov updates and standard launcher:

I have experienced about five random reboots (that I know of) since getting the phone early November. It *just* happened again with my phone resting (unused) on my desk. My earbuds signaled a loss of connection with the phone (next to me) and when I checked my phone it was rebooting on its own. It was not hot (over-heated). It had no loaded apps running in the background. It was not charging. I had manually rebooted my phone a couple of hours earlier (which I do each day).

Additionally, I have noticed a couple of times upon waking in the morning with my phone charging overnight that it rebooted during the night (again, no apps running in the background).

This does not happen often, but it does randomly happen.

pdahiker

Dec 22, 2006
Northern California
My wife's Pixel 6 reboots multiple times a day - it is a 128gb version. I found that clearing the launcher cache seems to alleviate the problem for a little while, so I am going to try installing Nova on it (as mentioned by someone else in this thread) and see if that makes a difference (long shot, but who knows?)

pr0xibus

Mar 29, 2012
Yup, had to send my P6 back to Vodafone for warranty.

Had a single reboot the day after I got the phone, then a day after that it would reboot every 5-10 seconds, Fastboot with wipe format didnt do anything.
The only things I done since having the phone is Add an ESim and enable Adaptive Icons (I think thats what it was called).

One thing I noticed when at the vodafone shop and the assistant was looking over it, was the screen would do things by itself, i.e. Swipe open, etc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wazzup.

Over at the Pixel 6 Pro fair, we have quite the number of people having problems with random reboots. We are trying to narrow it in - Android12? Pixel 6? Software? Hardware?

So - anyone here with the same set of problems? Or does the Pixel 6 not have that kind of issue?

For reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/random-reboots.4353231/
    The Pixel will cause you to enter your pin a lot because “device was manually locked”, even if it didn’t reboot.
    Oh sorry, I should've mentioned that along with the prompt to unlock with my pin was a message saying that the phone must be unlocked with my pin after device restarts.
    So happy I returned my P6 without even opening the box,,, good luck with the beta testing on Google's behalf.. sigh.