Question Random reboot +- corrupted boot image?

Search This thread

suloku

Feb 6, 2014
Hello, recently I got the poco f3 (256-8gB) and I have experienced a really weird behavior (I know about random reboots other peooke expperience, but please read what happened to me)

I rooted it with magisk (patching boot image using latest stable apk from official github).
I added smali oatchee module to it.

At some point miui auto-updated to 12.5.1.0 RKHEUXM, I had to get boot image from the update, extract from payload and reparch to get magisk back.

After this I noticed the phone rebooted randomly, it happened like once in 2-3 days, son nothing really anoying, I didn't pay much atention to it since the phone worked flawlessy for everything else. Then I tried to connect to a router wifi (router setup with openwrt) and I noticed EVERY TIME I tried to connect to that specific wifi the phone rebooted. I tried to reconfigure the wifi network but it still happened. No problem with other devices.

Then the next day, I openwd an app which had embedded adds (an app I have been using for a long time, the very same version). 1 second into the add the phone rebooted...and it became stuck in a bootloop in MIUI logo. I couldn't even power off the phone, I could enter recovery/fastboot though.

I used twrp to wipe it without erasing my data, but problem still persisted. Only reflashing boot image (I used stock version) revived my device. I tried to boot it without flashing, phone seemes to boot but with no display.

So I decided to make a full wipe, then reinstall magisk. Phone has been working fine since then, but the occasional random reboot still happens and I'm afraid eqch time my poco f3 will be stuck in bootloop again.

My conclusion is somehow boot image got coreupted, but I can't think of anything I could have done for that to happen, as I only had magisk set up, I didn't even use any app with root permisions yet. Any ideas why that my have happened?
I'm thinking of flashing twrp to recovery so I can reflash boot image from it in case this hapens again...

Alin45

Oct 7, 2020
Bucharest
I do not use magisk, but I read this thread a lot lol, so as I see the simpler way to root ur phone is to boot to TWRP (fastboot boot xxxx.img) and install magisk from Advanced settings. As I know, there is even an option that allow u to keep ur root after an rom update. U can give it a try, maybe it will solve ur random reboot problem.

suloku

Feb 6, 2014
You mentioned your device rebooted when it connects to a specific WiFi network. Can you get logs for connecting to the network?
How may I get those logs?
I do not use magisk, but I read this thread a lot lol, so as I see the simpler way to root ur phone is to boot to TWRP (fastboot boot xxxx.img) and install magisk from Advanced settings. As I know, there is even an option that allow u to keep ur root after an rom update. U can give it a try, maybe it will solve ur random reboot problem.
My phone is already rooted via magisk patching the roms's boot.img, then flashing via fastboot. That's the recommended method for this device afaik.

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
Try clean flash. Backup all your stuff that you want to keep. Format data in TWRP before booting into system.

OTA auto-update from time to time causes issues.

suloku

Feb 6, 2014
I tried again and the revoot when connecting to that certain wifi network persists.

Is there anyway I can reflash my current firmware without having to wipe? Can I jast flash my current update with twrp with no data loss? (Basically what happens when a system update is out...)

suloku

Feb 6, 2014
Just posting to note that update 12.5.3.0.RKHEUXM solved all those random reboots for me.

They were also happenning when trying to share image/links/anything via bluetooth, telegram....only thing that worked without reboot was "copy link" in the share button.