Random Reboots

Search This thread

marielle112

Nov 14, 2020
Maybe a clue

Hello everyone!
After 2 months of random reboots I noticed that they mostly kept happening only if the screen light is set high! When the screen light is low I almost never have the issue and if it happens it's only once a week or every two weeks which is much better compared to 10 times day. Has anyone else noticed this?

tukak

Feb 17, 2011
Hi,
I'm having the same issue for last like two months. I also had my phone repaired (badly working touchscreen, ghost touches or no touches on certain parts). But I'm not sure if that is the root cause, the issues started in like two weeks after the repair.
I've tried wiping cache partition, factory reset, reading logcat just before reboot, but nothing helped.

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
I've tried wiping cache partition, factory reset, reading logcat just before reboot, but nothing helped.

You had phone hooked to computer with continuous logcat output when the reboot happened? Because that's the only way how to get actual logcat. When the phone reboots, it clears logcat and starts new one.

If you truly had phone connected and you have actual logcat from computer, would you mind sharing it here?

tukak

Feb 17, 2011
Yes, I did have it connected and got the logcat (twice). I don't have it anymore, I couldn't find anything interesting in the last few hudred lines (and they were different for each case). I will try to get it again tomorrow and I will share it if I succeed.

btw, I tried going back to EMUI 9 firmware yesterday (it did lowlevel factory reset) and the phone rebooted when I was setting up wifi on the first boot with the new (in fact old) firmware (before even connecting google account and running any app).

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
Thank you for sharing! I downloaded it, and if you don't mind, I will share it here as .txt files. So if someone is later interested, they still can find it here.

I looked over it and it's as you said, I can't find anything odd in the log :confused:

Last edited:

DrummerGirl2020

Nov 28, 2020
Same issue

Hi, I've been having the same issue on and off for a number of weeks now, it was just one or two random reboots to begin with, but now I'm getting multiple reboots almost every single day and it's really annoying, especially when it does it in the middle of a video call! Don't suppose anyone's found a long-term fix yet that doesn't involve getting an entire new phone?

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
I don't want to jinx it, but I had my last reboot almost 2 weeks ago. But I didn't really changed or did anything significant, that I could point at as a solution. Sorry. Not sure why it stopped, but I'm glad and I hope that it was just a phase implemented, to force you to buy a new one.

Did this happen to anyone while the phone was still within warranty??

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
Just got one reboot few minutes ago :( It lasted free of reboots for almost three weeks. This time I was scrolling through Facebook and scrolling froze for a fraction of second and then the phone really slowed and rebooted after 2 secs.

Lord_Fr0zen

Nov 3, 2018
Also i how much free ram do you have without an open app, seems to be conected to the issue, both time i had reboots it was around 800mb and 1.12gb,after wiping the catches ive stayed around 1.8-2.0 gbs

I have around 3.2 GB RAM available without any apps open & I'm not facing any if the issues you guys mentioned :)

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
As I said, after almost three weeks of zero reboots it started again. This morning I got around 8 reboots within less than two hours. One even booted to safe mode. I have no clue what caused reboots to come back again..

Rebkos

Oct 20, 2009
Prague
I'm starting to suspect GPU. In three reboots i had distorted screen, really messed up. Two times just before reboot, once even while on Honor booting screen. The Honor sign was moving really fast all over the screen and even partially out of the screen!

Robertt_99_NL

Dec 18, 2020
Hi, same problem here. Started around the same time as all of you. Disappeared for 2 maybe 3 weeks, then reoccured this week again... I noticed it happened more at night, and when opening apps like Facebook or Instagram.

Can't explain why it would happen more overnight, but it is.
And the FB and Ig, maybe since they're quite heavy apps to use or something? Overloading the system maybe? But that would not explain why it sometimes reboots a couple of times in a row (don't know if that happens to you guys as well, but does for me)

I do have a cracked rear glass, which causes my speakers to only work when I press the rear.. But this has happened way before the rebooting started to happen?

... I'm at a loss

Vivien-lb

Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have the same issue as you all for severals months now. I think it started in august.

I had four reboot periods for now. Everytime looks the same : my phone starts rebooting with no apparent reason, from a few times per day to A LOT. Sometime it reboots in chain and I can't even use it. Then after a few days / weeks, everything is ok again for many weeks. I did a factory reset but it didn't help.
I registered some logs with adb logcat to see if I could see anything special when it crashs, but I have no technical exception before the crash, and no reccurence between the logs.

It's happening again since one or two days, I really can't see why !

Cédric147

Mar 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was experiencing the same problem, multiple reboots (5-6) per day without reason.

I found a solution that worked for me, I haven't had a single reboot since.

The problem was that the connection to the battery was a bit loose.
Solution: open up your phone (i recommend the link below) and push on the connection with the battery (see picture).

Small tip: if you open your phone up, you can as well change the battery if your battery is getting old.
By the way: you don't need a heat gun, i did it with a hair dryer.

Hope this helps some of you.

1615020148586.png

Hubuskus

Mar 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was experiencing the same problem, multiple reboots (5-6) per day without reason.

I found a solution that worked for me, I haven't had a single reboot since.

The problem was that the connection to the battery was a bit loose.
Solution: open up your phone (i recommend the link below) and push on the connection with the battery (see picture).

Small tip: if you open your phone up, you can as well change the battery if your battery is getting old.
By the way: you don't need a heat gun, i did it with a hair dryer.

Hope this helps some of you.

View attachment 5241509

Did you experience any artifacts when the phone was restarting? I've got them a few times when the phone was restarting 4 time in a row, and I wonder if the fix you posted would be any good for me

Cédric147

Mar 6, 2021
Did you experience any artifacts when the phone was restarting? I've got them a few times when the phone was restarting 4 time in a row, and I wonder if the fix you posted would be any good for me
Yes, it kept starting up again and again. Then even gave some kind of error.
The solution above fixed that for me. I haven't had a single restart since. Hope it helps you too.

Hubuskus

Mar 8, 2021
Yes, it kept starting up again and again. Then even gave some kind of error.
The solution above fixed that for me. I haven't had a single restart since. Hope it helps you too.
And one more question, did the restarts also happened when the phone was laying still and you didn't even touch it?