Question Random reboots

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
A small update on the matter: I received my replacement device, set it up and didn't have any more reboots as of now. Doesn't mean it's a hardware issue for sure, maybe it has something to do with the "new" phone being set up (ergo maybe I could have fixed it by factory reset). Anyway, problem seems to be fixed now.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT
Well I was hoping to update myself in this thread and see if anyone had any solutions as my rebooting has gotten completely out of hand.
I was using Android auto Monday and the song suddenly stopped and I looked down to see the boot animation. About 30 minutes later I went to unlock the screen and it appeared to lock up. About 20 seconds later, again with the boot animation. It did it at l ast four more times yesterday. Once while trying to launch the camera it did it again. Since I got the phone there has yet to be a morning where it didn't tell me that the PIN was required after a restart.
This morning my alarm didn't go off but my wife's did (set for the same time). When I rolled over to look at my phone, the always on display and as on but where the fingerprint logo usually is, there was a padlock. I assume that's the image displayed when you have a PIN but no fingerprint setup. Anyways the phone was unresponsive and yet again, boot logo about the 0 seconds later. This time however it got stuck on the "G" screen with a little line moving under it. It stayed that way for almost ten minutes until I held the power button for 30 seconds.
Sounds like what mine was doing. I didn't have any reboots since Saturday, then it did it three times today. This still feels like a software issue, but I will likely exchange it for the new one (which hasn't shipped yet and was supposed to be here yesterday!)

• Wow

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Sounds like what mine was doing. I didn't have any reboots since Saturday, then it did it three times today. This still feels like a software issue, but I will likely exchange it for the new one (which hasn't shipped yet and was supposed to be here yesterday!)
A couple days ago (2-3) I also had a random reboot whilst using the phone (Navigation, but with no active screen, just audio) - that was a huge bummer. I am okey with idle reboots, but if I actively use an app: F*ck you.

It was the only reboot whilst using the phone actively in six days, but it was still unacceptable.

• Wow
Update: I'm noticing I get a bunch of reboots after I install a new app or change any settings, then it's ok until the next time I change/add something.

Still feels like it's software related.

I'm still supposed to get a replacement but it hasn't shipped yet. I'll probably go ahead swap unless I see anything concerning on the replacement.

• Wow

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
A couple days ago (2-3) I also had a random reboot whilst using the phone (Navigation, but with no active screen, just audio) - that was a huge bummer. I am okey with idle reboots, but if I actively use an app: F*ck you.

It was the only reboot whilst using the phone actively in six days, but it was still unacceptable.
Out of curiosity did you set the P6P up from scratch or bring apps and data from another phone? I'm a firm believer the a new phone should be setup from scratch. Yes, I know it takes longer but in 7-8 days I haven't had a single issue with my P6P.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Out of curiosity did you set the P6P up from scratch or bring apps and data from another phone? I'm a firm believer the a new phone should be setup from scratch. Yes, I know it takes longer but in 7-8 days I haven't had a single issue with my P6P.
Brought my apps and data from another phone by cable.

Did the same on the "new" phone, no problems ever since.

DSMRyan

Jul 27, 2008
I'm having the same problem. Rebooting about 4 times daily when idle. Restored from backup although I'm seeing that setting up as new doesn't necessarily help the issue.

• Wow

cloudraker

Dec 2, 2011
Lafayette, In
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just wanted to pop in and give a little follow up. Received a replacement device 2 days ago. I did migrate everything over from the device that had been randomly rebooting a minimum of 4 times a day, but typically more. This new device has ran flawlessly for 2 straight days without issue. Its my opinion that theres some sort of hardware issue on some of the devices causing this problem, but i very well could be wrong.

wilpang

Feb 10, 2014
Blackburn
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I had my first random reboot yesterday evening just by picking up the phone and it restarted. Fingers crossed it was only a random rare occurrence, checked the runtime this morning and the phone has been running continuously so no more restarts overnight.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
Just wanted to pop in and give a little follow up. Received a replacement device 2 days ago. I did migrate everything over from the device that had been randomly rebooting a minimum of 4 times a day, but typically more. This new device has ran flawlessly for 2 straight days without issue. Its my opinion that theres some sort of hardware issue on some of the devices causing this problem, but i very well could be wrong.
Refurbished or Brand New device?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have any issues. Do you have the November update yet?
    These are my first experiences of any shutdowns. Any crashes? Nothing else to report. I've not experienced any others

To be fair, they've not happened again. And yes, these things should not be happening at all. I'm waiting for all sorts of apps to update properly for Android 12 and the usual bugs. Thus far, I'm quite convinced it's all software related.
    I just talked for a while with a Google rep and he said that they are not aware of any reboot problems, no people over at Google Forums have reported such a thing. "We do not monitor Reddit or XDA" - so he said he opened a support ticket to the responsible team and they would look into it, he also asked that I / we report/feedback this under -> Settings -> Tips & Support -> Feedback.

We also talked about a lens flare problem, that at least the Pixel 6 Pro has. If you shot some photos where the sun is directly shining into the camera, you might want to re-check them. Most of mine have either some sort of big circular green dot in them, or a big beam of light like in a phone with a very bad HDR processing. It seems to be some sort of software glitch, he also reported that.

So hopefully those things can get fixed.
    Weird unexplainable OS crashes like that are usually due to faulty hardware, potentially RAM
    I am inclined to agree here, but my years of working with Windows and Android incl. rooting and using custom roms and kernels want to disagree here. There can be half a gazillion software based reasons for an OS crash, especially with a buggy release like Android 12. Not sure if you participated the beta, but it reminded me of Windows 11. There was a buggy beta build with about 100 bugs, they fixed 20, called it a day and released it. Now we new P6 owners can play beta testers Volume 2 for Google.

One very important thing here is also: Did you guys set up your phone "clean" or did you copy over your old phone by cable or did you use backup?

Any of these things can cause issues.

I, for example, used a cable to transfer all file and apps from my P4 XL to my P6 Pro. It's possible that this is the rootcause for some issues, or maybe it's not. Maybe there are even problems that occur only if you transfer your files from specific phone models to this one, you never know.
    My replacement P6P arrives today. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed this ends my reboot problem.