• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Random Shut Downs & Boot Loops

Search This thread
Hey guys, I hope someone can help me with my current conundrum.

As of late, my phone seems to randomly shut down and will end up boot looping and will continue to do so until I plug it in to charge. My most recent one was when it shut down at 51% percent and just boot looped. When it powered on after I plugged it in the charger, it had 10% battery life left.

Is there any way I can fix this situation? It happens on every ROM I flash along with the kernel.

tokjdm

Aug 6, 2013
Tokyo

As of late, my phone seems to randomly shut down and will end up boot looping and will continue to do so until I plug it in to charge. My most recent one was when it shut down at 51% percent and just boot looped. When it powered on after I plugged it in the charger, it had 10% battery life left.

Is there any way I can fix this situation? It happens on every ROM I flash along with the kernel.

I have exactly the same problem on a locked unrooted HTC 10. I thought first this was a battery problem (my battery is dead and lasts less than an hour) but I think this is related to the last update to 2.41.708.31. The shut down also affects certain apps : settings and login information seem to be wiped out by the shutdown.

pnnorth

Dec 18, 2010
Same problem here (stock/unrooted). Started to get problems shortly after the July security patch update.

Phone often crashes when battery falls below 40% - it then bootloops or won't switch on until charger is plugged in.

Tried the old trick of holding volume up and down + power button for a few minutes, in an attempt to reset the battery. The battery fell from 100% to 70%, charged it back up to 100% but still experiencing the same problems. A

Next step will be to try a factory reset but I suspect it'll do nothing to help.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

michaelbsheldon

Jan 12, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Same problem here (stock/unrooted). Started to get problems shortly after the July security patch update.

Phone often crashes when battery falls below 40% - it then bootloops or won't switch on until charger is plugged in.

Tried the old trick of holding volume up and down + power button for a few minutes, in an attempt to reset the battery. The battery fell from 100% to 70%, charged it back up to 100% but still experiencing the same problems. A
Next step will be to try a factory reset but I suspect it'll do nothing to help.

If factory reset does not work, you could S-0ff the phone and take it back one or two RUU versions to a stable one.

thanito

Jul 10, 2008

Same exact problem here.
Lately the battery life is awful, started to think that battery has deteriorated, however the phone suddenly boot loops and switches on only after plugged in, and same thing happens even in 30-40%. Battery percentage calibration seems WAY OFF lately.

Stock rom, latest official update

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

stormyb

Feb 8, 2006
Same issue here, I thought it was a defect in the charging circuit. Better stop my colleague now, before he tries to open my phone...

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Suddenly my phone is charging again.
biggrin.gif
It was completely dead before.

knochnkopf

Nov 10, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had the same issue, battery running down in the space of 2-3 hours of light-moderate use, and bootlooping when attempting to power back on. I've found that if you go into recovery mode you can at least get it to boot up again without plugging into charger, but the last time I tried it my battery had said like 50% when the phone crashed and 15% when it booted again. I was starting to think maybe battery gone bad, too. Thinking about maybe going to a 3rd-party ROM to see if the behavior stays or if it gets any better.

coos lick

Sep 2, 2010
Mine does the same. I tried wiping it and starting again - but given up on it and put it in drawer. Now using my wifes old S6.
Would like to know if this is hardware or software to see if it can be resurrected.

Reactions: MTranceAvB

bglf83

Jan 27, 2007
We have 2 HTC 10s at our house. Same issue. Sounds like software based on this thread.

GPS in Android auto is garbage now as well. This is all recent and it impacts both phones.

USA unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: pnnorth

saw man

Aug 4, 2011
I hope guys you can help me, I've the same problem, and I want to convert my HTC 10 (stock international version) to US unlocked, it been years since I modified any android phone (I destroyed my last one) and I'm afraid to do the same to my HTC 10, so if there is Noop step by step of how to do that I would be grateful.

bglf83

Jan 27, 2007
US versions software is jacked. Would not recommend it right now.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
US versions software is jacked. Would not recommend it right now.

I call BS on this.
Tell me, what exactly is so "jacked" about it?
It's ahead of WWE with Google security updates. And I've always stayed up to date with US Unlocked firmware with no issues whatsoever.

EDIT: If you are basing this assumption on this thread:
post#2 is from someone with Hong Kong firmware
post#3 is from someone on GiffGaff which is in the UK and using the o2 network
post#4 is someone on Verizon, so probably Verizon firmware (although it could be US Unlocked)
post#5 is someone on Cosmote which is a Greek based carrier (and probably someone with the same WWE/European firmware as the person you replied to)
US Unlocked firmware is just fine, and it gets updated more frequently than WWE

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

I hope guys you can help me, I've the same problem, and I want to convert my HTC 10 (stock international version) to US unlocked, it been years since I modified any android phone (I destroyed my last one) and I'm afraid to do the same to my HTC 10, so if there is Noop step by step of how to do that I would be grateful.

First things first, you need S-Off for this.
After you've gained S-Off, change your CID to BS_US001 (in download mode: fastboot oem writecid BS_US001)
Then change your MID to 2PS650000 (in download mode: fastboot oem writemid 2PS650000)
Then run the latest US Unlocked RUU which you can download from here.
Scroll down to the "Manual System Upgrade Instructions" on that link and read them. The RUU download is after the instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: overground

bglf83

Jan 27, 2007
I am full stock on 2 phones with random reboots. It's jacked.

Battery only gets 1 hour of screen on time ate this point

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
I am full stock on 2 phones with random reboots. It's jacked.

Battery only gets 1 hour of screen on time ate this point

Okay, but have you tried other firmwares; like WWE for instance; to see if there is a difference? If not, than you have nothing to base the claim not to use US Unlocked because it is "jacked", as you put it. And if you have, you should have provided the info on the best firmware to use.

Just sayin........

I have no random reboots, and I have no battery drain. I'm on US Unlocked. No issues ever with it. Always flashed the latest firmware as soon as it came out.
I would assume that this issue isn't firmware based, but is because of some other issue.

6thEnvy

May 1, 2011
Wirral, UK
I've had the same issue, battery running down in the space of 2-3 hours of light-moderate use, and bootlooping when attempting to power back on. I've found that if you go into recovery mode you can at least get it to boot up again without plugging into charger, but the last time I tried it my battery had said like 50% when the phone crashed and 15% when it booted again. I was starting to think maybe battery gone bad, too. Thinking about maybe going to a 3rd-party ROM to see if the behavior stays or if it gets any better.

Did rooting and installing a ROM (Viper10 ect) Work?,
I've had the same problem as everybody else with the random bootlooping (Stock WWE (UK) 2.41.401.41).
We really shouldn't have to root our phones to fix a problem HTC made with their Nougat update.

knochnkopf

Nov 10, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
Did rooting and installing a ROM (Viper10 ect) Work?,
I've had the same problem as everybody else with the random bootlooping (Stock WWE (UK) 2.41.401.41).
We really shouldn't have to root our phones to fix a problem HTC made with their Nougat update.

I haven't had a chance to put a different ROM on my phone yet but I've also started having issues with Bluetooth connecting but then within a couple seconds the device reverts back to playing audio from the phone speakers and the volume controls don't show that i'm connected to bluetooth audio, even though I've tried 2 different bluetooth speakers. Seriously considering installing PureFusion again this weekend.

fmedrano1977

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I have the same issue with the lastest Tmobile US firmware/software, mine goes into a bootloop around the 40% mark. I've just experienced similar behavior on a Samsung Tablet, I replaced the battery in it and all was well again.

Reactions: MTranceAvB

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
I have the same issue with the lastest Tmobile US firmware/software, mine goes into a bootloop around the 40% mark. I've just experienced similar behavior on a Samsung Tablet, I replaced the battery in it and all was well again.

I agree with you. Some of the batteries that got put into the 10 probably snuck through quality control from whoever manufactures them.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Have any of you tried resetting your battery sensor and calibrating your battery?
Instructions are in this thread after UPDATE in the OP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/help/whats-current-battery-capacity-t3538773

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have exactly the same problem on a locked unrooted HTC 10. I thought first this was a battery problem (my battery is dead and lasts less than an hour) but I think this is related to the last update to 2.41.708.31. The shut down also affects certain apps : settings and login information seem to be wiped out by the shutdown.

If factory reset does not work, you could S-0ff the phone and take it back one or two RUU versions to a stable one.

Same exact problem here.
    Lately the battery life is awful, started to think that battery has deteriorated, however the phone suddenly boot loops and switches on only after plugged in, and same thing happens even in 30-40%. Battery percentage calibration seems WAY OFF lately.

Stock rom, latest official update