Random Shut Downs & Boot Loops

Search This thread

EdHaku

Feb 4, 2017
I'm getting the same problem for a while. Thought it was software issue too (I'm running Viper One Nougat on a Marshmallow base), but it doesn't seem to be the case. Any info where I can get a battery replacement?

ThatOneJoshy

Sep 6, 2015
I too have been having these issues since a month or two ago.

Switch off at an unreasonable percent like 30-40% and go to bootlooping. I could get to download mode (originally, but not anymore), but not bootloader or recovery, unless I did the recalibration trick by holding up and down volume keys with power and releasing the second the bootloader screen popped, then using that to switch it off.

I sent the phone in under warranty, as I have two years on it in the UK. I got the phone back two weeks later with no details as to what HTC did. I powered the phone on and set it up and the second I got to 40% battery, take a wild guess as to what happened... That's right. Bootlooping once again.

I called HTC and asked exactly what they did and they told me they replaced parts on the motherboard and installed a new ROM. They then asked me to send the phone in again, so did that Friday and now I'll be going another 2 weeks+ without my phone.

I included a letter in the box this time for them to read, with in-depth tests and issues I have found, so hopefully it helps them determine the problem, which I personally think is just the battery, and not parts on the motherboard.

I'll update when I get the phone back with what they did and if the phone is now working correctly.

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
if someone manages, you can try to let battery completely die and charge it up again, that will recalibrate the battery and the values. sometimes the battery values are getting f+cked up. if you manage to power it on again, let it die but this time it should go down to 0%, let it shut off and then charge it to 100%. it should be good after that. if not, try a factory reset

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
If you delete the file data/system/batterystats.bin you should get an accurate reading on you battery percentage. It won't fix your battery (it seems some bad ones slipped through quality control from the battery manufacturer) but at least you'll know what the actual level is and it won't power down at 33% anymore.

Root access is needed to access this file, right? I'm not rooted. Or can I run an ADB command and delete the file?

anndrenaline

Jun 14, 2011

Switch off at an unreasonable percent like 30-40% and go to bootlooping. I could get to download mode (originally, but not anymore), but not bootloader or recovery, unless I did the recalibration trick by holding up and down volume keys with power and releasing the second the bootloader screen popped, then using that to switch it off.

I sent the phone in under warranty, as I have two years on it in the UK. I got the phone back two weeks later with no details as to what HTC did. I powered the phone on and set it up and the second I got to 40% battery, take a wild guess as to what happened... That's right. Bootlooping once again.

I called HTC and asked exactly what they did and they told me they replaced parts on the motherboard and installed a new ROM. They then asked me to send the phone in again, so did that Friday and now I'll be going another 2 weeks+ without my phone.

I included a letter in the box this time for them to read, with in-depth tests and issues I have found, so hopefully it helps them determine the problem, which I personally think is just the battery, and not parts on the motherboard.

I'll update when I get the phone back with what they did and if the phone is now working correctly.
Oh no don't tell me its not just the battery, my phone is no longer under warranty.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

No clue, all I know is I got battery life now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

How's it going so far after the battery swap? Where did u get the battery?

fmedrano1977

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Oh no don't tell me its not just the battery, my phone is no longer under warranty.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

How's it going so far after the battery swap? Where did u get the battery?

Couldn't be happier, I can go all day on a single charge with normal use. I didn't buy the battery myself, I took it to a shop called UbreakiFix here in San Antonio, TX, they ordered it.

G

GuestD2577

Mine still boot loops after having the battery and 'other' components replaced by HTC UK :(

kerem97

Dec 22, 2017
i have the same issue on my device. Htc 10, Unrooted, Bootloder locked, android 7, 2.41.401.41

Kwiskas

Jun 29, 2014
Hi,

I also have the issue on my phone, WW edition, S-on, bootloader unlocked, rooted and using last LeeDroid ROM (4.0.0) and 2.41.401.41
I doubt this is a hardware issue, every body who have this issue seems to be under the same version.
Also, a bad battery should create random shutdown, not the same pattern for all : once the shutdown appears either a bootloop is coming (a dead battery does not provide enough energy to reboot a phone, I let mine boot looping during 15-20min and it was still running), either the phone boot with 33% battery (once again, not all battery are used the same way, how can this value be the same for every one?).

I also have the application data wiped : loosing notification ringtone or vibration disable itself, loosing haptic return of the keyboard... Doesn't seems to looks like what a dead battery do.

For me this is definitly a software issue, what do you think?

Hi,

I also have the issue on my phone, WW edition, S-on, bootloader unlocked, rooted and using last LeeDroid ROM (4.0.0) and 2.41.401.41
I doubt this is a hardware issue, every body who have this issue seems to be under the same version.
Also, a bad battery should create random shutdown, not the same pattern for all : once the shutdown appears either a bootloop is coming (a dead battery does not provide enough energy to reboot a phone, I let mine boot looping during 15-20min and it was still running), either the phone boot with 33% battery (once again, not all battery are used the same way, how can this value be the same for every one?).

I also have the application data wiped : loosing notification ringtone or vibration disable itself, loosing haptic return of the keyboard... Doesn't seems to looks like what a dead battery do.

For me this is definitly a software issue, what do you think?
Since I updated kernel I have not had any reboots at all. Was using cleanslate 242 and now on latest. Saw a post where a version would fix reboot on certain types of roms and that a full reboot could be kernel related but soft reboot is most likely software. So far so good for me.

Kwiskas

Jun 29, 2014
What I have is a full reboot I think : I see the first HTC silver logo, then the animated green HTC boot and here happen the reboot loop.
Which kernel are you using exactly please?

Kwiskas

Jun 29, 2014
Hi,

I've been using cleanstate for a couple of day now, and random reboot seems to have stop. I was even able to go down to 1% battery and launch energy consumming task like camera without boot looping.

Battery life is still quite bad, but I'm not quite surprised for a 1 year and a half phone. Accubattery gives me a 2200mah capacity for a 3000 supposed one...
I'll try to recalibrate it to see if the phone handles better energy consumption but I doubt it.

If any other one could change its kernel to confirm, that would be great.

Hi,

I've been using cleanstate for a couple of day now, and random reboot seems to have stop. I was even able to go down to 1% battery and launch energy consumming task like camera without boot looping.

Battery life is still quite bad, but I'm not quite surprised for a 1 year and a half phone. Accubattery gives me a 2200mah capacity for a 3000 supposed one...
I'll try to recalibrate it to see if the phone handles better energy consumption but I doubt it.

If any other one could change its kernel to confirm, that would be great.

I'm currently on CleanSlate 2.7.0. Normally, my battery would reboot at 50-60%. So far, I haven't rebooted yet, and the battery drainage has lessened quite a bit. So far, so good.

Last edited:

th3

Apr 13, 2010
UK-KSA-S.E.Asia

I've got the exact same issue... Stock HTC_001 with o2. Bought the phone May 2016 and this issue started in August 2017.

Recently it's also killed my SD card, I've lost 50GB of pics/vids/data randomly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I hope someone can help me with my current conundrum.

As of late, my phone seems to randomly shut down and will end up boot looping and will continue to do so until I plug it in to charge. My most recent one was when it shut down at 51% percent and just boot looped. When it powered on after I plugged it in the charger, it had 10% battery life left.

Is there any way I can fix this situation? It happens on every ROM I flash along with the kernel.
    Hey guys, I hope someone can help me with my current conundrum.

As of late, my phone seems to randomly shut down and will end up boot looping and will continue to do so until I plug it in to charge. My most recent one was when it shut down at 51% percent and just boot looped. When it powered on after I plugged it in the charger, it had 10% battery life left.

Is there any way I can fix this situation? It happens on every ROM I flash along with the kernel.

I have exactly the same problem on a locked unrooted HTC 10. I thought first this was a battery problem (my battery is dead and lasts less than an hour) but I think this is related to the last update to 2.41.708.31. The shut down also affects certain apps : settings and login information seem to be wiped out by the shutdown.
    Same problem here (stock/unrooted). Started to get problems shortly after the July security patch update.

Phone often crashes when battery falls below 40% - it then bootloops or won't switch on until charger is plugged in.

Tried the old trick of holding volume up and down + power button for a few minutes, in an attempt to reset the battery. The battery fell from 100% to 70%, charged it back up to 100% but still experiencing the same problems. A

Next step will be to try a factory reset but I suspect it'll do nothing to help.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
    Same problem here (stock/unrooted). Started to get problems shortly after the July security patch update.

Phone often crashes when battery falls below 40% - it then bootloops or won't switch on until charger is plugged in.

Tried the old trick of holding volume up and down + power button for a few minutes, in an attempt to reset the battery. The battery fell from 100% to 70%, charged it back up to 100% but still experiencing the same problems. A
    Next step will be to try a factory reset but I suspect it'll do nothing to help.

If factory reset does not work, you could S-0ff the phone and take it back one or two RUU versions to a stable one.

Same exact problem here.
    Lately the battery life is awful, started to think that battery has deteriorated, however the phone suddenly boot loops and switches on only after plugged in, and same thing happens even in 30-40%. Battery percentage calibration seems WAY OFF lately.

Stock rom, latest official update