• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rapid battery drain on Samsung Gear S3...about 50% per hour at times!

Search This thread

daggebauer

Feb 15, 2017
I got same problem, but besides watch draining (60% in 3 hours) Galaxy Wearable app is draining my phone too.
It all started without changing anything on phone or on watch.
I uninstalled all samsung apps on phone and cleared cache and did factory reset of watch.
After that it was ok for about half a day and than it started draining again.

jas2090

Oct 22, 2011
I just bought this watch 4 days ago. Day 1 it worked very smooth but post some update that came on Day 1 it started doing above mentioned behavior.
I did a factory reset yesterday and for whole day drain was fine. After that at night put on nightstand and after 100% put it back on wrist and went to sleep. It drained overnight 60% and again i recharged for 1 hour but recharge was also slow and 50 % died in 7 hours.
Now in office with dead watch.
I had
*AOD off
*Wifi off.
*Auto-HR off.

I really do not want to return this as i got a very nice deal. But this battery thing seems like a total bummer :(:(:(

Please guide if anybody found a concrete solution.

daggebauer

Feb 15, 2017
Anybody got idea what could cause something like this to happen?
It seems like nobody installed something new or changed any settings.
Samsung activated something remotely?

mikekoz

Aug 5, 2010

I am pretty sure it is a software problem, and I doubt if Samsung did something remotely. That would be the conspiracy theorists make on this! :p. I just did a hard full reset on mine from the watch's recovery menu and am going to see how it does. I tried resetting it several times, but only from within the watch's menu. In theory, this should clear out all data and old cached file from it and put it back to the state it was in when it was taken out of the box. I will post the results here later on today. This is what I did for all who are interested:

Back up data on the internal memory.
Turn the Gear S3 off.
Press and hold the Power key until REBOOTING displays at the bottom of the screen.
Press the Power key repeatedly until the Select REBOOT MODE screen displays.
Press the Power key to highlight ' Recovery'.
Press the Home key to select.
Press and hold holding the Power key until the Gear S3 begins rebooting.

Reactions: lv2bsilly

daggebauer

Feb 15, 2017
I didn't mean that in conspiracy theory way :)))
I just thought that since it seems that nobody changed/installed anything they maybe activated some new feature or way for syncing or something like that, not that they are draining our watches on purpose.
As I said I factory reseted my watch and uninstalled all samsung apps, cleared cache and installed everything again and after about half a day drain is back.

Now I am going to put my tin foil hat back on :))))

mikekoz

Aug 5, 2010
I didn't mean that in conspiracy theory way :)))
I just thought that since it seems that nobody changed/installed anything they maybe activated some new feature or way for syncing or something like that, not that they are draining our watches on purpose.
As I said I factory reseted my watch and uninstalled all samsung apps, cleared cache and installed everything again and after about half a day drain is back.

Now I am going to put my tin foil hat back on :))))

I did not see an option to clear cache. I just thought it would do that automatically. I may have to do it again unless it works OK as it is now!

Jenoin

Jun 30, 2010
Last couple days, mine won't hold a charge anymore. Frontier. Only thing new is that I charged it on my spouses Galaxy watch 42mm charging dock. The dock is slightly different but it seem to charge just fine. I don't imagine it's related unless the rest of you did the same thing. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update. Less than 10 hour battery life is really worthless, especially when it takes near 2 hours to charge.

jaime3344

Mar 6, 2012
Last couple days, mine won't hold a charge anymore. Frontier. Only thing new is that I charged it on my spouses Galaxy watch 42mm charging dock. The dock is slightly different but it seem to charge just fine. I don't imagine it's related unless the rest of you did the same thing. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update. Less than 10 hour battery life is really worthless, especially when it takes near 2 hours to charge.

that's strange to me... I usually always use the same charger, but just a few days ago, when this started happening, I forgot to charge it one night, so I used a different charger that I have at work..after that is when I noticed the drain, it could just be coincidental, hmmm..

mikekoz

Aug 5, 2010

Does your spouses charger use a 5V AC adapter like the S3? I would imagine it would, but you never know! If it is putting out more than that, that could be a problem! :eek:

lowery23

Apr 20, 2009
I am also having this issue and it started 2 or 3 days ago. Previously, my watch would have around 60% battery left when I put it on the charger in the evening after about 16 hours of use. The last couple of days it won't make it through the day and today it was dead within 7 hours. I checked with a coworker that also has the watch and he said the same thing started with his a couple of days ago. He previously got 3 days of use before having to charge his watch.

Jenoin

Jun 30, 2010
Does your spouses charger use a 5V AC adapter like the S3? I would imagine it would, but you never know! If it is putting out more than that, that could be a problem! :eek:
It is a 5VDC adapter just like every USB device/charger for the last 10+ years. The difference is that there are two little nubs inside the cradle that shift the centerline of the watch up a few mm to account for the difference in diameter.

Mjdrakkon

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Adding my voice to the masses. Started about a week ago for me and my Frontier. It was really sudden, which rules out natural battery degradation over time. I was getting 4+ days now I'm lucky if I get 12 hours from full to empty.

Wifi off
NFC off
GPS off
Bezel wake/gesture wake off

Etc etc. I have tried a factory reset and that has not helped at all. Going to swing by a Samsung store in a couple of days and see if they've had many instances of this.

sunsetraving

Feb 25, 2008
Munich
Same here. Since a couple of days my watch starts draining my battery, and also my Phone battery starts draining in this time. In the app it shows that the "notification" app is consuming a lot. I did two factory resets and one new installation of the Gear app on my Samsung phone, but no look. What i figured out, the drain is not constant. After a reboot, the watch is holding the battery fine. Then it starts randomly sucking the **** out of my battery. Yesterday, after a factory reset in the morning, everything was fine. I was also running in the evening, synchronizing it to my phone, all was great. Had nearly 80%.... and this morning my watch was off. Battery at 0%. Now, after chargeing to 50%, it´s stable... but how long? I deactivated now nearly every notification. Will see what hapen..

But, as many of you have the same problem, it seems that some sort of update was issuing this problem.

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

the solution seems to be to turn off report diagnostics.... go to the link about gear.... report diagnostic.. turn off....

OK, i´ll giv it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you Google this, there are lot of folks having the same problem with this watch. I was just on a Samsung forum where several people were reporting this issue after the 3.0.0.2 update. The thing is, my watch ran great after the 3.0.02 update! Better than it did on version 2. My problem started after no updates. My best guess is another patch or the Tizen 4 update (assuming this watch will get it) may hopefully fix this. I am found no resolution so far.

I am pretty sure it is a software problem, and I doubt if Samsung did something remotely. That would be the conspiracy theorists make on this! :p. I just did a hard full reset on mine from the watch's recovery menu and am going to see how it does. I tried resetting it several times, but only from within the watch's menu. In theory, this should clear out all data and old cached file from it and put it back to the state it was in when it was taken out of the box. I will post the results here later on today. This is what I did for all who are interested:

Back up data on the internal memory.
    Turn the Gear S3 off.
    Press and hold the Power key until REBOOTING displays at the bottom of the screen.
    Press the Power key repeatedly until the Select REBOOT MODE screen displays.
    Press the Power key to highlight ' Recovery'.
    Press the Home key to select.
    Press and hold holding the Power key until the Gear S3 begins rebooting.
    the solution seems to be to turn off report diagnostics.... go to the link about gear.... report diagnostic.. turn off....
    what do you mean those above the line? what line?.... thanks
    On mine there is a bolder line under WhatsApp all above are now on and all below are currently turned off I will check through the list later to see if there is any thing else I want notification wise
    Well, apparently Samsung just told me a bunch of crap and there is no update for this watch. Just like Android devices, after they are a year old and the next model comes out, all support is dropped for them. This will be the last Samsung product I purchase.