RAT on DXLJ2

Search This thread

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
UPDATE: PLEASE SEE CHN110's SIGNATURE FOR AN AMSS MODIFIED Tmobile MODEM (thanks to hotwir3 and delacrow) WITH UNRESTRICTED RAT ACCESS!
The following method is still the one that works with UCLF6. BUT I WILL MODIFY THOSE AMSS BIN FILES AS HOTWIR3 HAS AND SEE IF THE WORKAROUND CAN BE ELIMINATED!

UPDATE 2: USING THE AMSS FILES FROM THE N7005 ROM WITH UCLF6 MODEM DID NOT WORK...STILL HAVE TO ACCESS
RAT USING THE WORKAROUND.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed we are not locked out of RAT selection on this base?
I'm on edge now...cool. slow but cool. Have to use a previously known work around but it does work. :good: I would like to see if it works for someone else before I post the method I used, PM me if you have want to know how to set it.
nu3etu8e.jpg
7etudyzu.jpg

Here is the workaround...as I said it is a previously known process, I just decided to give it a try and it works:

First I suggest you must be on one of the new DXLJ2 based ROMs (never tried any other base, its possible 4.1 kanged and aosp Roms may work also)...heres the dialer method I used, with phone powered on take your SIM card out (pry it up a little to get past the battery), reboot the phone then after startup is complete make sure wifi and airplane mode are turned off, dial:
*#197328640# or (short cut) *#2263#...then follow the menu options: (DEBUG SCREEN/ PHONE CONTROL/ NETWORK CONTROL/ BAND SELECTION/ now here you have several options but to get "edge" choose GSM BAND PREFERENCE/ GSM850) THIS IS IMPORTANT> then press on the phone menu key and press "BACK" make sure you see the asterik in parenthesis next to the option you have chosen...then use the phone menu key to select "end". reinsert SIM then restart phone ( dont pull the battery to insert sim).You will also have to check your APN settings and select "bearer unspecified" at the bottom of APN SETUP. Thats it...its an old workaround from when I used my Captivate and SII primarily. Cant remember where I got it (on here somewhere I'm sure) but I had the method saved as text in a notepad file and came across it yesterday.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

melcali

Aug 2, 2010
you have the e circled as gprs..

from what i have seen before.. if you are in a gprs are, you would get a 'g' icon,

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
My bad...that might be a mislabel by me, its just a label but to your point I guess it should read egprs..but it is edge (2.5g) and not 3g or 4g.
This from a google search:
General packet radio service (GPRS) is a packet oriented mobile data .... Such mobiles are considered pseudo-Class A, sometimes referred to as ... EGPRS ( EDGE), 236.8, 59.2 (Class 8, 10 and MCS-9), 4+1 ...
and some further searching...
http://www.clove.co.uk/viewtechnicalinformation.aspx?content=3B2BD491-6465-4C70-ABDB-5A12A06C3D8D&category=TECHINFO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
Thanks chn110 for directing me to the modified UVLG3 modem in his sig that allows RATaccess using dialer method without having to pull sim or reboot. All bands are able to be changed...awesome
As for the UCLF6 modem, the workaround in the first post is still applicable.

Last edited:

enside0ut

Jul 19, 2007
Philadelphia
hmmm..

Thanks chn110 for directing me to the modified UVLG3 modem in his sig that allows RATaccess using dialer method without having to pull sim or reboot. All bands are able to be changed...awesome
As for the UCLF6 modem, the workaround in the first post is still applicable.

think this modified modem will allow me to change the band preference (disable LTE) in a cm/aosp build?

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
I dont see why not, I think it would...not sure but it wouldn't hurt to try. Just have another modem on your sd to flash if it didn't.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Vinsane

Jul 23, 2010
Dallas
I'm On Novena rom and I think I have the modem/radio you're talking about from hotwir3 I'm on T-Mobile also... but getting spotty reception and speeds.

I'm still new to the Note do please excuse my ignorance... but what does this mod do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
Actually this isn't a mod it is a 'workaround' to achieve RAT access on UCLF6. The UVLG3 modem (was modded to carry the amss files from the N7005 base) and does not have restricted access so you wouldn't need to use this method. Although switching bands thru the settings menu is not yet fully functional, you can use the dialer (ussd) code to choose any band...and it basically allows you to switch off LTE and use 3g only. Helps save data when say your near your monthly limit or whenever. As far as the modem from Tmobile goes, basically it probably only is a benefit for ATT users (being unresticted to change RAT selection). It has the 1900 band added so they (Tmobile) could sell the iphone. The speeds when I tested it were unfortunately typical and not impressive.The reason Tmobile bought out Metropcs was to accrue access to their LTE network, so after that becomes final then Tmobile users will finally get the most out of their Notes...be patient it's coming.

Sent from my GT-N7005 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinsane

chrstndsgnr

Jan 6, 2008
Omaha
Just a quick FYI, I did this selecting only the GSM Band 850 and thought I had hosed my sim/phone. Nothing worked after I did this. I did however go back and select the 850/1900 band and that fixed it. Seems some AT&T area may use both bands.

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
Just a quick FYI, I did this selecting only the GSM Band 850 and thought I had hosed my sim/phone. Nothing worked after I did this. I did however go back and select the 850/1900 band and that fixed it. Seems some AT&T area may use both bands.

Were you on UVLG3 when that happened? When you say hosed you mean no cell signal at all? I believe UVLG3 only has 1900 band available for the ATT user. The workaround is for UCLF6 and when something similar happened to me I found that when I changed the last line (bearer) in the APN settings to unspecified that it will work. This is mentioned at the end of the first post. Please let me know as it would be interesting to see which modem you were on when it happened.

Last edited:

chrstndsgnr

Jan 6, 2008
Omaha
I'm on UCLF6, but I'm not on ATT so my Bearer is always set to unspecified

Yeah phone just showed the circle w/ a line through it for the cell signal. So it saw the sim card, but the radio wouldn't attach to just the 850 frequency. If I remember correctly, I believe that AT&T uses two frequencies. One for uplink, the other for downlink, which is why it started working after I picked the 850/1900 line.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So.... how'd you do it? i've been wanting to do this since getting the note. has it had any effect on your battery life?
    PM sent...let me know if you get it...sometimes they dont go thru.
    PM sent...let me know if you get it...sometimes they dont go thru.

got it, gonna flash back to Padawan and try my luck.

edit::: wow it worked, thanks!
    moved to correct thread
    Actually this isn't a mod it is a 'workaround' to achieve RAT access on UCLF6. The UVLG3 modem (was modded to carry the amss files from the N7005 base) and does not have restricted access so you wouldn't need to use this method. Although switching bands thru the settings menu is not yet fully functional, you can use the dialer (ussd) code to choose any band...and it basically allows you to switch off LTE and use 3g only. Helps save data when say your near your monthly limit or whenever. As far as the modem from Tmobile goes, basically it probably only is a benefit for ATT users (being unresticted to change RAT selection). It has the 1900 band added so they (Tmobile) could sell the iphone. The speeds when I tested it were unfortunately typical and not impressive.The reason Tmobile bought out Metropcs was to accrue access to their LTE network, so after that becomes final then Tmobile users will finally get the most out of their Notes...be patient it's coming.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone