Rattling noise near speaker?

Azzabear

Mar 28, 2012
Aberdeen
Hey everyone.
I bear sad news that my Nexus 5X which I got 2 days ago appears to have a rattle inside.
Its near the top but holding the buttons, the camera glass, fingerprint, speaker grills, and anything else I could think of still doesn't fix it so it seems to be internal.
I've not had a chance to speak to Google or LG about it yet and Carphone Warehouse (UK retailer) weren't any help online. Speaking to them in store tomorrow so fingers crossed they just replace it.

Does anyone else have this issue?

SOLVED! - I spoke to Google support and they said that the rattling noise comes from the sim tray.
There is a tiny lever which you push with the sim pin to remove the sim tray, and that lever is what rattles against the frame. Providing that your 5X works as it should, that's the rattle.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Reactions: sumdumguy2

PhilipL

Jun 2, 2007
Hi

Hey everyone.
I bare sad news that my Nexus 5X which I got 2 days ago appears to have a rattle inside.
Its near the top but holding the buttons, the camera glass, fingerprint, speaker grills, and anything else I could think of still doesn't fix it so it seems to be internal.
I've not had a chance to speak to Google or LG about it yet and Carphone Warehouse (UK retailer) weren't any help online. Speaking to them in store tomorrow so fingers crossed they just replace it.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks guys
Most likely the camera optics which are loose when unpowered. Launch the camera app to energise the camera, does it still rattle? If no or needs more shaking then its normal.

Regards

Phil

Reactions: xepter

Azzabear

Mar 28, 2012
Aberdeen
Why are u shaking your phone, and why does it bother you.
I noticed there was a rattling sound when the vibration motor goes off, so I shook it a little to see if anything was lose and now I can't stop hearing it with every notification.

It's not usually something that would bother me but now I know its internal it will

PhilipL

Jun 2, 2007
Hi

No luck :( still rattles when the camera is on and needs the same amount of shaking
Mine rattles too if I shake it, so have other phones, it's common, first search gave me this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2713803

It depends on how the optics are driven for focusing so the rattle could remain, it could be the vibration motor which is a circular motor by the looks of the teardown, so it might free spin when the phone is shaken.

Every smartphone I have ever owned, when I've visited the forums here there are people complaining about rattles when they shake the phone. There are lose parts in these phones as often things need to move freely, i.e. buttons, camera optics, and vibration motors, everything else is so tightly packed in it can not rattle. The only other rattle you might get is a broken off component, and the chances the phone still works with a detached resistor or chip is unlikely, plus you'd hear that moving around.

Honestly it is nothing to worry about. Google "phone rattles" and be assured it's normal.

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: Azzabear

Azzabear

Mar 28, 2012
Aberdeen
Okay I spoke to Google support today and the person I spoke to said that the rattling noise comes from the sim tray.

There is a tiny lever which you push with the sim pin to remove the sim tray, and that lever is what rattles against the frame. Providing that your 5X works as it should, that's the rattle.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

lilotimz

Dec 17, 2011
Sacramento
Okay I spoke to Google support today and the person I spoke to said that the rattling noise comes from the sim tray.

Thanks for the help everyone!
So did they offer to exchange it or no? It's very annoying tbh once you notice it.