• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

RAZR M to get official KitKat 4.4 by Motorola

Search This thread

jetking2

Nov 30, 2011
Those of you who received the OTA, how long did your phone stay on the red motorola logo after the update installed?

I received the OTA this morning and the update seemed to install fine. However, after the phone rebooted it has been on the red motorola logo for a solid 20 minutes. I'm thinking something went wrong.

toddbecker

Oct 25, 2012
SD Card access w/ KK?

Can anyone with the new KitKat confirm that you can point an application to the SD Card for data? This is my primary reason for root, I redirect Google Play to the SD Card for its library of music (much more than I could fit on the internal storage) using DirectoryBind.

Thanks

furkonhesti

Feb 16, 2012

toddbecker

Oct 25, 2012
OAT Update is ready, but I want to wipe first

I am currently on 98.30.1 and the new OTA for KK is available for my phone. The phone has gotten pretty laggy lately, and I wanted to do a wipe and restore of my most used apps using Titanium Backup.

If I do a factory reset now and restore root, I will still be able to rebuild my phone on the 98.30.1 platform before the KK OTA, right?

vjaamm

Oct 17, 2010
So far KK has been awesome. The phone feels a little smoother and faster. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the on screen buttons and notification bar. On the stock launcher they used to be semi transparent. After the update they're not completely black with no transparency to them. It makes the screen seem smaller than it is.

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
So far KK has been awesome. The phone feels a little smoother and faster. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the on screen buttons and notification bar. On the stock launcher they used to be semi transparent. After the update they're not completely black with no transparency to them. It makes the screen seem smaller than it is.

Try Nova launcher. It has the option to make them completely transparent and gain back that perceived screen space.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

samari71

Jan 25, 2009
my razr m is flashed to pageplus i was wondering if i spf back to orginal and then update am i going to lose my flash or will i have to reflash

Nidstang

May 15, 2014
I updated to 182.46.10.XT907.Verizon.en.US this morning, OTA. My phone is/was completely stock -- not rooted, bootloader locked. Bloatware was disabled using the JB functionality and it remained disabled after the KK update (except for the NFL crap, which I had to re-disable).

Those of you who received the OTA, how long did your phone stay on the red motorola logo after the update installed? I received the OTA this morning and the update seemed to install fine. However, after the phone rebooted it has been on the red motorola logo for a solid 20 minutes. I'm thinking something went wrong.

I don't remember it being on the Motorola logo all that long. However, it stayed on the "droid eye" for a long time -- ten minutes, I'd say. It eventually finished, though.

Can anyone with the new KitKat confirm that you can point an application to the SD Card for data? This is my primary reason for root, I redirect Google Play to the SD Card for its library of music (much more than I could fit on the internal storage) using DirectoryBind.

I don't have any familiarity with PlayMusic or DirectoryBind. What I can say is that, after the upgrade, I now have a new folder in my SDcard: sdcard1/Android/data . There are six subfolders within that directory. Each appears to related to an app that have been properly updated by its Dev for KK. I haven't had a chance to play around with it, but I assume those are the "application-specific" folders that apps will have read access to. I did not take any steps to create these, they appeared automagically post-update.

I have a third-party music player app and it is able to read other directories on the sdcard, as expected. I haven't tried to edit files, however, and I expect it would not be able to (unless the files are within the application-specific folder).

Both ES File Explorer and the phone's native "Files" app appear to have full read/write access to the entire card -- though I haven't had time to play around too much. Both can create new first-level folders, at least.

Overall, love the update. Definite increase in speed/smoothness. Too early to tell if the batter has taken a hit.

Reactions: toddbecker

laspero

Jan 13, 2014

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
So friend is in need of getting kitkat and they are on 9.30.1 with root. Is there any way we could sbf 9.30.1 without losing data because when I did it to mine I know it cleared data. Just wanting to update to kitkat with no problems.

Last edited:

Tommino84

Mar 18, 2013
Poggibonsi
In the end yesterday while driving home, M started downloading OTA :D
As a happy kid I decided to try install it even if I'm unlocked+rooted+custom recovery
Obviously it failed :D and worse of all, it started looping because when entering the system, in 5 minutes it tried to restart and update again.
Had to SBF to JB and take the OTA from vanilla :)
I haven't anyway tried to root again and install twrp, I'll do it in the we, together with restoring all apps :)
one thing only I regret Agenda Widget does not work with KK and the developer seems vanished..

razor411

Dec 7, 2011
Does anyone know if I can flash this on my xt905? I flashed stock JB trough RSDLite and if I hit update it says "currently not available" What the hell does that mean?

TheForceUnleashed

Feb 11, 2012
Louisiana
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Does anyone know if I can flash this on my xt905? I flashed stock JB trough RSDLite and if I hit update it says "currently not available" What the hell does that mean?

Probably server overload. The KK OTA has been hunted for A LOT. I have 183.46.10 (KK) and I still check mine (for Verizon 4.4.3 or something) and it does the same thing.

wankelrx8

Sep 5, 2009
GSM?

I am on 4.1.2, 98.15.66, locked, rooted, and running GSM on T-Mobile. I used the Radiocomm edit to make GSM work. Then I uninstalled some bloatware after rooting. My phone runs pretty well as long as I don't install too many apps. I think I also disabled the update checker because I wanted to be able to unlock the boot loader one day, but never did.

If I go back to stock 4.1.2, then take the KK update, will I lose my GSM? If so, would I be able to just do the Radiocomm edit again?

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
If you update you will lose root and not be able to change radios. You need to unlock the boot loader at least I would think so you could flash su to gain root to make radio changes. Fwiw I have done none of this but that's my understanding.

kgtgv4

Jul 3, 2011
Did this work?

I don't understand why it wouldn't update. In superuser I temp unrooted and the binaries didn't show up. I was sure that would make the device pass. No app recognized root. Is there a certain file I could delete?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

SBF'ing makes me nervous. I think I found the problem. When I was manually unrooting before I forgot to uninstall busybox. I guess I will have to reroot and uninstall that before uninstalling root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Did this work? I find myself in the same predicament.

Top Liked Posts