• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

RAZR M to get official KitKat 4.4 by Motorola

Search This thread

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
So I popped my sim back into the XT907 for the weekend, and heres what I've noticed (when compared to 4.1.2).

Higher temps - previously, my XT907 hovered around 85F-100F, but with 4.4.2, I've noticed it drift toward 110F with 5+ minutes of active use.

Worse battery life - On 4.1.2 I averaged around 20% after 16 hours moderate use. With 4.4.2, I'm averaging around 5% in the same span.

Lesser LTE coverage - This may be something with my area, but I can usually get 2-3 bars of LTE in the Livingston County area on 4.1.2 (I've noticed the XT907 accel in this category). While on 4.4.2, I could not get any LTE coverage in the same area, and could only find it within more populated areas.

Slower performance - I'll always be amazed by how quick the XT907 was on 4.1.2, beating out devices with similar specs in the same price category. With 4.4.2, I've noticed frame drops, stutters, and random reboots be a common occurrence over the last few days of usage.

Overall, I'm satisfied with 4.4.2, but I still prefer the overall usability with 4.1.2.

Reactions: aviwdoowks

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
So I popped my sim back into the XT907 for the weekend, and heres what I've noticed (when compared to 4.1.2).

Higher temps - previously, my XT907 hovered around 85F-100F, but with 4.4.2, I've noticed it drift toward 110F with 5+ minutes of active use.

Worse battery life - On 4.1.2 I averaged around 20% after 16 hours moderate use. With 4.4.2, I'm averaging around 5% in the same span.

Lesser LTE coverage - This may be something with my area, but I can usually get 2-3 bars of LTE in the Livingston County area on 4.1.2 (I've noticed the XT907 accel in this category). While on 4.4.2, I could not get any LTE coverage in the same area, and could only find it within more populated areas.

Slower performance - I'll always be amazed by how quick the XT907 was on 4.1.2, beating out devices with similar specs in the same price category. With 4.4.2, I've noticed frame drops, stutters, and random reboots be a common occurrence over the last few days of usage.

Overall, I'm satisfied with 4.4.2, but I still prefer the overall usability with 4.1.2.

I am not surprised.

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
I don't know about the performance being worse, my phone runs better but I did set it to run ART, but for the rest of the issues you have, I have occured as well except random reboots. My razr m isn't my daily so I lay it on my desk with WiFi on and it used to go to 6-7 days sitting and it now hits 3-5. I did set location to battery save and that didn't seem to impact it that much. Service I can't honestly say as I swapped to my incredible 4g LTE. My temps did ride way faster as well which makes a phone irritable to hold in my opinion.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE

MunchNBeaver

Jul 16, 2012
I have had the Razr M about 10 months. I have been checking on the System Update for Kit Kat. This morning I checked and I got an update for 98.30.1 about 12.8 mb. I download, install, it reboots, shows the droid and blue bar, halfway it stops and shows the red exclamation mark and starts over, boots, and says update failed.stem
My first question is, do i need this update to get kit kat?
my second is why is this failing to update?

Im running it stock. system version 98.16.3.xt907.verizon.en.us

baseband sm_bp_101032.020.32.78p

lem22

Nov 25, 2013
i have the international version

before it was saying 'update not available, please try again

now its saying 'upto date' :( where is teh kitkat
There is no international version of the XT907. So, either you have the US (Verizon) version, then there are a lot of instructions here regarding the update process, or you have a different model (XT902, XT905 etc.) without an official KitKat update atm.

My first question is, do i need this update to get kit kat?
At least not for updating with RSD Lite and the XML file. But I believe yes for OTA.

my second is why is this failing to update?
OTAs are very sensitive. There are too many reasons for failing. You could have been rooted or deleted some stock apps or installed some odd stuff etc.

MunchNBeaver

Jul 16, 2012
At least not for updating with RSD Lite and the XML file. But I believe yes for OTA.

OTAs are very sensitive. There are too many reasons for failing. You could have been rooted or deleted some stock apps or installed some odd stuff etc.[/QUOTE

i was rooted at one time. i removed the root. and i have did a factory restore. i went into recovery and did it that way.

also, how can i add kit kat through another way???

thanks

lem22

Nov 25, 2013
Another way would be through RSD Lite.
You'll need RSD Lite and the zip file from here.
Then you just need to flash it to your phone. Something like this:
- Install drivers and RSD Lite to your PC.
- Make sure your battery at least 80% before we proceed.
- Turn off your phone and press both volume keys and power on. You'll enter bootmenu options. Choose AP Fastboot by scrolling with volume down and volume up to select.
- Connect your phone to PC and your PC will detect and install the drivers automatically.
- Open RSD Lite and click ... beside filename. Browse to your ROM and double click it. A menu will popup and choose "uncompress and start flashing".
- It will start flashing once it finishes uncompressing.
- Sit down and relax. :)
You can also find a more detailed manual here (PDF).

Reactions: Blitzgott

MunchNBeaver

Jul 16, 2012
Another way would be through RSD Lite.
You'll need RSD Lite and the zip file from here.
Then you just need to flash it to your phone. Something like this:

You can also find a more detailed manual here (PDF).

Thank you. did all of that, installed kit kat. now the rsd still says in process, but phone is on and nothing is happening. I'm thinking about just unplugging it. keeps saying reboot, and it did reboot and install.

wankelrx8

Sep 5, 2009

After reading this, I think I'll stay on my rooted, carrier unlocked, 4.1.2 RAZR M. It's my daily, so I figure, why fix something that ain't broke?

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
After reading this, I think I'll stay on my rooted, carrier unlocked, 4.1.2 RAZR M. It's my daily, so I figure, why fix something that ain't broke?

I was thinking of staying on 4.1.2 until I discovered that audio worked out over USB OTG and that transparent nav bar was now available. I have a headphone amp that uses the cable, and I hate the burn in that the nav bar gets. I also had jitters ALL the time.

But I can see why a lot of people might stay on 4.1.2.

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
Also, I can't wait for a slim ROM or something without the bloat. I froze everything I do t need, would would love to go leaner. Still loving 4.4.2 :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Jersey846

Odboreas

Mar 20, 2013
Odessa
Guys, is there a root for 4.4 KitKat officially. Is that possible?
98.16.3 installed with root now, phone is locked.
I need to install 98.30.1 through RSD (Restore to stock factory firmware and unroot it)
After get OTA update. Right?
But here the main issue - root, I need to fix settings.db (via sqlite editor) - because it is the features of our local operator.
Is it possible to edit the database without root?

Top Liked Posts