RCS (Enhanced Messaging Feature) Android Messages Not Working on Pixel 2 XL - Sprint

Search This thread

Haz04

Nov 16, 2015
I have missed specifically RCS messages in textra. Everything else is good. I turned it off and so far so good, not sure what dictates SMS or RCS, but think this fixed it. Fingers crossed!

Textra doesn't support RCS yet (because Google hasn't released the API) so I would stick with Android Messages if you want to use RCS without missing anything..

InfiniteReality

Jan 16, 2008
Lake Charles
Are you missing RCS messages or messages that should have fallen back to SMS?

Textra doesn't support RCS yet (because Google hasn't released the API) so I would stick with Android Messages if you want to use RCS without missing anything..

Spot on! I still prefer textra for now and don't care a out RCS anyways. If I could have a dark theme of Android Messages I'd probably roll over and use it.

InfiniteReality

Jan 16, 2008
Lake Charles
Each to their own. Personally I love everything light and white but choice is a good thing. Looks like dark mode is coming

https://9to5google.com/2018/05/07/android-messages-3-2-apk-insight-teardown/

Nice find, that's great to hear! Fingers crossed that and the web link preview will be implemented soon.

I hope possibly even the option of converting any text over 160 characters straight to MMS. I have this option set in Textra and I know everyone I text appreciate it. I just wish it could force incoming text to do that, one person sent me a text yesterday (iPhone) and thought my phone was ringing, 11 individual texts and all out of order so had to piece it together.

Reactions: Haz04

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else having issues with RCS (Rich Communication Services) on the new Pixel 2 XL on Sprint?

I've had numerous discussions with Sprint's reps and Google reps, they both keep pointing back at each other which is odd.

Google is the one who hosts the Jibe platform and Android Messages is the default RCS client for Android.

The phone that I was using was the LG V20 (Sprint). The V20 is running on Android 7.0 and uses the default messaging app for Android known as Android Messages with enhanced features enabled (RCS).

Two of my friends have Pixel's (Original), one is on Boost Mobile, the other on T-Mobile. We are able to message each other with this feature turned on without any issues. We can see when one of us is typing and also see if someone read the last message, etc. It's not the end of the world for me, but this was and still does work on my V20.

If you'd like to read more about what RCS is, you can do a simple google search for RCS or Jibe.

This feature briefly worked on my Google Pixel 2 XL when I first set it up, but now no longer works.

I've disabled the Android messaging app, cleared the app's data which also clears the apps cache, forced stop it, re-enable the app, update it in google play and started the app back up. It begins to work but then stops. What's also weird is that my friends have to also go through this hassle that I've gone through to get this to work.

It def sounds like a bug in the latest build but neither Google or Sprint want to take a deeper look at this issue.

I'll leave this up to the community to pull together and see what we can accomplish.

Any thoughts?
    I'm interested in this too as I'm about to activate my 2xl on Sprint. I've been trying to get RCS to work on my MotoX Pure Edition but under Advanced, enhanced features is greyed out.

Don't get me started on the lack of features Sprint supports for our new flagship phone..... calling plus, no...wifi calling, no.... simultaneous talk/surf, no. Huge disappointment.
    For those that have this enabled, what software version are you on? I'm on 2.5.212.
    So I could use RCS when I was using my TMobile branded Note 8 while texting LG and Samsung devices. But my Pixel 2 XL is not working. Any updates?
    Ive forgotten about this thread. A month ago I tried using Android Messenges app again between my wife and I (we're both Sprint) and RCS messaging works. On the bottom it says "Chat message" instead of "Text Message". I saw typing statuses and read notifications. It's cool but still somewhat slower than something like Allo or a true instant messaging app.