• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question RE : SD1A.210817.037

Search This thread

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
My device is running .036 and about a week ago the system update said there was a download. I am assuming is .037 because that is the only thing it could be...
I try to download it and it fails and it says to try again and it fails, repeat ad nauseum...
Is this ( .037 ) supposed to download ?
Ah snap, is my phone's update software broken ?
I assume this android bug will only go away with a factory reset...
Hmm...
Because fixes are cumulative, should I just wait a little bit and download December's update. I am assuming there will be a software update in December besides the security stuff.

Vote now.
Factory Reset -or- wait

miravision

Oct 5, 2021
You can always sideload updates using adb on a computer if the OTA is failing for you
Code:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/raven-ota-sd1a.210817.037-1543ec70.zip
Verizon
Code:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/raven-ota-sd1a.210817.037.a1-9436a359.zip

Last edited:

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
You can always sideload updates using adb on a computer if the OTA is failing for you
Code:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/raven-ota-sd1a.210817.037-1543ec70.zip
Verizon
Code:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/raven-ota-sd1a.210817.037.a1-9436a359.zip

Ug, ya I know, too many questions... lets try again...

Question: Is the .037 supposed to download ?

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Because mine is failing to download, I must have a software glitch. Crap. Crap. Crap. Glitches do not magically go away...

Question 2 : Doing the sideload of the OTA after pulling it down . . . will it wipe me completely. Is there a batch switch to install-all that will NOT wipe the data area and allow me to retain my setup ?

The OTA will not wipe, no flags needed. Only the full image will wipe, unless you use the flag.

I doubt your update system is broke, I suspect you just got a bad download. Next download will be fine I think. So sideload or wait for December.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
My device is running .036 and about a week ago the system update said there was a download. I am assuming is
To be clear, are you rooted, or at least running a custom kernel? If yes to either one, you shouldn't attempt to take any automatic downloads. At worst they just won't update, such as you found out, or at worst it could break something, although still not catastrophic except maybe losing some data.

So, if you are rooted or at least using a custom kernel, you should turn off automatic updates in the Developer Options. And if you're not rooted and not using a custom kernel, then go with what everyone else said. :) Now if December's OTA failed to update your phone correctly and you're not rooted or using a custom kernel, then I would consider first just flashing the full factory image (whatever the most up to date at the time will be) while removing the -w (wipe) command from the flashall.bat.

Also, to complicate this reply even further, whether you're rooted or not, have you /or disabled verity and verification? If so, when you use the flashall.bat, you're going to want to put the disable verity and verification commands in place of the -w wipe command - otherwise you would *have* to wipe any time you go from either enabled to disabled, or from disabled to enabled.

Sorry for any confusion my reply may cause. :D

Reactions: old_fart

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
I'm starting to think 037 was pulled from the updator
I have several friends with h p6pros and only the ones who got their device early in the release received 037
I'm still on 036, however the updator no longer shows an update is available, edit: looks like Google only released 037 for select carriers

skimminstones

Feb 7, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm starting to think 037 was pulled from the updator
I have several friends with h p6pros and only the ones who got their device early in the release received 037
I'm still on 036, however the updator no longer shows an update is available, edit: looks like Google only released 037 for select carriers
It was America only apparently. Everyone else will get it in December as normal

Reactions: Paz9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would just wait. The December update was rumored to drop on the first. But even if it doesn't, it shouldn't take much longer regardless.
    Because mine is failing to download, I must have a software glitch. Crap. Crap. Crap. Glitches do not magically go away...

Question 2 : Doing the sideload of the OTA after pulling it down . . . will it wipe me completely. Is there a batch switch to install-all that will NOT wipe the data area and allow me to retain my setup ?

The OTA will not wipe, no flags needed. Only the full image will wipe, unless you use the flag.

I doubt your update system is broke, I suspect you just got a bad download. Next download will be fine I think. So sideload or wait for December.
    Do I need to root my phone before manually updating using the OTA file?
    No
    My device is running .036 and about a week ago the system update said there was a download. I am assuming is
    To be clear, are you rooted, or at least running a custom kernel? If yes to either one, you shouldn't attempt to take any automatic downloads. At worst they just won't update, such as you found out, or at worst it could break something, although still not catastrophic except maybe losing some data.

So, if you are rooted or at least using a custom kernel, you should turn off automatic updates in the Developer Options. And if you're not rooted and not using a custom kernel, then go with what everyone else said. :) Now if December's OTA failed to update your phone correctly and you're not rooted or using a custom kernel, then I would consider first just flashing the full factory image (whatever the most up to date at the time will be) while removing the -w (wipe) command from the flashall.bat.

Also, to complicate this reply even further, whether you're rooted or not, have you /or disabled verity and verification? If so, when you use the flashall.bat, you're going to want to put the disable verity and verification commands in place of the -w wipe command - otherwise you would *have* to wipe any time you go from either enabled to disabled, or from disabled to enabled.

Sorry for any confusion my reply may cause. :D