Read All About it: WP7 SD-card format working.

Search This thread

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

This is the best news of the day .

Last edited:
Reactions: dulexetina

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Has noone tried a low level format utility? I once "bricked" a USB flash drive and fixed it with a low level format utility. Instead of reading file partitions and the like it just accesses the raw disk and 0s it out. From there you should be able to reformat it with the normal windows formatting tools.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
Has noone tried a low level format utility? I once "bricked" a USB flash drive and fixed it with a low level format utility. Instead of reading file partitions and the like it just accesses the raw disk and 0s it out. From there you should be able to reformat it with the normal windows formatting tools.

if you could tell how to low level format works and where to find a good working tool ( I know I could google but then I still don't know if it is a good app)

dmontes

Sep 25, 2008
Miami, FL
Excuse my ignorance, but would this be used to format a MicroSD card that has been "bricked" by using it in a Samsung Focus, or to make a MicroSD card usable in a Samsung Focus?

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
Excuse my ignorance, but would this be used to format a MicroSD card that has been "bricked" by using it in a Samsung Focus, or to make a MicroSD card usable in a Samsung Focus?

its to debrick a sd-card that is used in a wp7 phone , if you have a bricked card please first try low level format .

I have to first buy a small torx to open my phone :(

Tom Servo

Aug 1, 2009
Anyone actually tried the damn disk manager in Windows (i.e. diskmgmt.msc)? You know, before one runs out downloading esoteric tools, why not try the built-in stuff? I'd be surprised if this is anything beyond WP7 overwriting the MBR with its own crap. (The MBR keeps the partition table, too, and you aren't required to have one if your operating system uses an alternate way and/or doesn't need to boot from it).

pencilcase

Jan 18, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
Anyone actually tried the damn disk manager in Windows (i.e. diskmgmt.msc)? You know, before one runs out downloading esoteric tools, why not try the built-in stuff? I'd be surprised if this is anything beyond WP7 overwriting the MBR with its own crap. (The MBR keeps the partition table, too, and you aren't required to have one if your operating system uses an alternate way and/or doesn't need to boot from it).

obviously yes. tried all obvious tools, windows does not even detect the card as plugged in to the computer.
event tried a blackberry!
only question is now, who lives around Frankfurt/germany and has a symbian device?

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009

pencilcase

Jan 18, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
in mmc computer management the card does not appear AT ALL.
in device management, the card shows all "-" under volumes.

not sure how i can describe this in more detail, its simply as if i never plugged it in.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
You have to define "the system don't see the card." Like in device manager, is anything there? Just because it doesn't show up as a drive doesn't mean squat.

I can't tell you exact (I can't test it at this moment , need a good screwdriver) , but what I understand is that device manager isn't seeing .

I did read somewhere that the os sees the card as write protected and 0 GB .

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty sure this is the one I used to recover a "dead" flash drive previously.

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

I don't know if it'll work but I would think that it should.

this tool does not work to reformat wp7-used cards :(
    Hey guys im new to the site. I just flashed my phone to wm7 and i was getting the same problem. But i think i found a quick and easy solution that will format your sd for people like me who don't know the ins and outs about programming.

Well lets just say i was starting off with the whole 200 mb problem, so i tried everything to see if the new oson my phone can recognize my memory card. Then all of a sudden it hit me. Of course it won't recognize the card because the hd7 doesn't use one. I then started to think if maybe i format the phone with my micro sd card in it then that would work.

Well long story short it did. Now im reading over 14 gb with the memory card that came with my hd2. Idk if this helped anyone its just my $0.02
    There appears to be two types of locked SD cards from WP7: one from phones like HD7's internal microSD card which will show two paritions and otherwise normal card; the other is from Samsung Focus's microSD card slot where the special SD security is enabled and the card won't even showup in any PC card reader.

Low level format and other specialty tools on PC or Mac work for 1st type of cards but won't work for cards locked down by Samsung Focus. That requires a driver level support for SD card security which does not exist in any of the card reader today. The only confirmed solution for 2nd type of cards is to use Nokia/Symbian phones to format it
    So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

This is the best news of the day .
    If WP7 locks the SD card to the hardware according to the SD hardware spec (h**p: w w w sdcard . org/ developers/tech/sdcard/pls/Simplified_Physical_Layer_Spec.pdf ... chapter 4.3.7) i suspect you'd need to issue a Forced Erase command to reset this (see 4.3.7.3 in the spec above).

I _suspect_ that the Windows SD driver does not support that command... so i am not sure that would be possible to do from Windows Vista/7.
    But again: I am speculating here :)