• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Read this before rooting your Raven

Search This thread
Yes thats what I was referring to on first point :)
As long as you dont need to wipe after every update then its all good
I have no idea, but there are a couple ways us Pixel 5 guys can test this.

One way is to just reflash unmodified vbmeta and boot, then attempt to disable verity and verification, and flash the patched boot image again.

The other way, which I feel would be more appropriate, would be to start with a clean install of Android 12, set up the device, then attempt to disable verity/verification and flash the patched image.

It sucks not knowing exactly what is causing our data corruption issue. For some odd reason it seems like the only way to root on Android 12 is to have a clean install...BUT there's no saying how old that original clean install can be.

plasticarmyman

Apr 13, 2011
Long Beach
Been rooting and roming since Nexus 4. I'm really starting to wonder if it's even worth it anymore.
i've been rooting and roming since Android 2.1, it's still worth it even if only to block ads at the host level without using a vpn.

A lot of the things i used to root/rom for are easily done now without root but we shall see...

So worth it, because we know how! I've been rooting and ROMing since OG Droid! I'm all in and not giving up! And I'm a girl!
Same here, old timer! I remember thinking that slide out keyboard was cool, as I was coming from a Blackberry at the time...then pretty quickly realized it was easier to just use the on screen keyboard.

Remember how damn small those screens were?

darbylonia

Apr 30, 2011
New York
Same here, old timer! I remember thinking that slide out keyboard was cool, as I was coming from a Blackberry at the time...then pretty quickly realized it was easier to just use the on screen keyboard.

Yeah! I loved having the option of on screen keyboard vs. the physical one. The OG Droid was amazing at the time. The UI was so sophisticated. I was hooked on Android and never looked back. When screens started getting bigger I hopped from that to the Droid X which at the time was HUGE. I'm just passionate about Android history and development.:love:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Every few years I get my HTC Droid Eris out and compare it's size side by side with whatever I'm using now. What was it, 3.5 inch screen!? LOL! I always think about how cute the old phone is compared to my modern choices. It's so tiny!

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
The loss of "Hide Magisk" in the lastest release means a few of my apps (banking and work expense) are not going to work if I root my Pixel 6 P. So disappointing. I will miss GravityBox the most, but will learn to live without it.
Haven't rooted in years, but gravity box, used to be the first mod I install. Just curious, what do you like about it most please?

Reactions: plasticarmyman
Every few years I get my HTC Droid Eris out and compare it's size side by side with whatever I'm using now. What was it, 3.5 inch screen!? LOL! I always think about how cute the old phone is compared to my modern choices. It's so tiny!
I was trying to remember one of the phones I had, I'm pretty sure it was an HTC...small black thing with an optical trackpad.

You really begin to appreciate how far technology has come when, like in my case, your first computer was a 486 running Windows 95...cell phones were giant bricks and weighed 10 pounds...and my laptop was a Windows 3.1 machine with a non-backlit monochrome display.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I was trying to remember one of the phones I had, I'm pretty sure it was an HTC...small black thing with an optical trackpad.

You really begin to appreciate how far technology has come when, like in my case, your first computer was a 486 running Windows 95...cell phones were giant bricks and weighed 10 pounds...and my laptop was a Windows 3.1 machine with a non-backlit monochrome display.
But do you remember Gopher, Compuserve, MS-Dos, DRDos, and one of my favorites O/S 2? I'm not sure how long I used Windows 1.0 because 2.0 quickly followed and then lo and behold we could open 2 windows if we had at least 640k ram and ran in protected mode. But I digress..

I remember reading a post from Chainfire saying that it was not in our best interest to root if we run apps like banking. I was rooting all the time, flashing like crazy and then I locked the bootloader on my 5X, unlocked it again once then locked it for good. Do I miss root, yeah sometimes. TiB and V4A are the two I miss most but so many things have changed with the security checks these days. I still read every rom and root thread and will never buy a device I can't bl unlock but it's just been so long now. Lastly, I remember not only my Eris (which I recently charged and fired up only to see SetCPU on my homescreen and OC'd to 750) but flashing a test rom from @letmedanz 8 times in one night trying to figure out why the darn camera wouldn't work. Maybe one of these days I'll keep my device instead of trading it in and attempt root and flash a rom. And while I was typing this I got notification that my P6 has shipped. :))

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT
But do you remember Gopher, Compuserve, MS-Dos, DRDos, and one of my favorites O/S 2? I'm not sure how long I used Windows 1.0 because 2.0 quickly followed and then lo and behold we could open 2 windows if we had at least 640k ram and ran in protected mode. But I digress..

I remember reading a post from Chainfire saying that it was not in our best interest to root if we run apps like banking. I was rooting all the time, flashing like crazy and then I locked the bootloader on my 5X, unlocked it again once then locked it for good. Do I miss root, yeah sometimes. TiB and V4A are the two I miss most but so many things have changed with the security checks these days. I still read every rom and root thread and will never buy a device I can't bl unlock but it's just been so long now. Lastly, I remember not only my Eris (which I recently charged and fired up only to see SetCPU on my homescreen and OC'd to 750) but flashing a test rom from @letmedanz 8 times in one night trying to figure out why the darn camera wouldn't work. Maybe one of these days I'll keep my device instead of trading it in and attempt root and flash a rom. And while I was typing this I got notification that my P6 has shipped. :))
I grew up playing the original Doom and Terminal Velocity....so yes, I'm painfully familiar with DOS lol

I remember that post too. I've rooted every single device I've ever had. I refuse to give up control over my device and software. That's why I run Enterprise LTSC on my computers, so I don't have to deal with all the annoying "feature updates" that the General Availability Channel gets.

Like my wife's computer. Every time it loses connection with the Internet (such as when my router performs its scheduled reboot at 0200) it decides that the best way to test the Internet connection is to open a browser window to MSN. My Enterprise machines don't care.

The HTC Desire maybe? It was my first Android smartphone! The HTC version of the Nexus One!
No, I never had a Desire. Maybe I'm confusing two phones. The only HTC models I remember having were the Incredible and the Rezound. I can't remember what I had after my Droid, if anything, before I got the Inc.

I did have a Blackberry Curve 8530, but what I'm thinking of is a small round sensor very much like the Desire's.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe update OP Post? Permanent root is working...
    It seems to me that the OP is specifically about disabling verity and verification. I don't think there's anything about the OP that is wrong. The same user has a more detailed thread about the subject here: ****READ THIS BEFORE UPDATING!*****
    Bootloop, as in continuous? Or the device reboots to Rescue Party?

To enter recovery, you have to use the key combo - when you get the image of the Android with the red triangle, hold down Power and click Volume Up to enter the menu.
    Turns out the phone was unhappy with the cable I was using. I had several flashes of the factory image fail when trying before I realized to try a different one.

After reflashing I got the correct events to happen.
    So I think I'm on the latest a12 so hopefully it's not beta. If I'm not rooted, I can just download an older version of magisk and install that normally? As in just patching the boot image
    Magisk 23001 and older doesn't seem to work to patch the Pixel 6/Pro boot image; you have to use 23010 or newer.

Many modules are going to be ported to Zygisk anyway so I'd recommend just using the latest Canary, 23015.
    Maybe update OP Post? Permanent root is working...
    I followed the steps to root and am in a bootloop. If I try to enter recovery I get the android with a red triangle and exclamation with no command listed underneath.

Any tips on how to fix this?

Thanks!
    Bootloop, as in continuous? Or the device reboots to Rescue Party?

To enter recovery, you have to use the key combo - when you get the image of the Android with the red triangle, hold down Power and click Volume Up to enter the menu.
    For those of you who are planning on rooting:

Be aware that Android 12 changed the way boot images are loaded, at least on the Pixel 4, 4a, and 5. We have no reason to believe the Pixel 6/Pro will be any different.

Two new Verified Boot features implemented in Android 12 will interfere with attempts to root.

Dm-verity (device-mapper-verity) is a method by which an image on block devices (the underlying storage layer of the file system) can be checked to determine if it matches an expected configuration, using a cryptographic hash tree. If the hash doesn't match, dm-verity prevents the stored code from loading.

Vbmeta verification is the other half of this - it provides a cryptographically signed reference hash which is used to verify the integrity of /boot, /system, and /vendor partitions. The vbmeta image is only used to verify /boot, while vbmeta-system is used to verify /system.

This was implemented to prevent persistent rootkits by means of a hardware level security check, to prevent "potentially harmful applications" such as Magisk from evading detection, as such applications residing within the kernel will have higher privileges than the detection applications.

What this means is that with these two enabled, a modified boot image will cause a verification error when flashed to the device, preventing boot. Interestingly, this check is not performed against "live" boot images loaded via ADB, so with dm-verity and vbmeta verification enabled, a modified image can be booted as long as the image in /boot is intact.

Dm-verity and vbmeta verification will need to be disabled in order to flash a rooted boot image. Unfortunately, this means that you will have to wait for the factory firmware to be released.

fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img

We also discovered that a data wipe is required in order to get permanent root; flashing /vbmeta with the disable flags gets you stuck in recovery with "Unable to load Android system, your data may be corrupted" error if you didn't wipe /data when you upgraded. To be clear, this only happens in a specific circumstance:
    * You updated to Android 12 without a wipe, AND
    * You reflash vbmeta with the disable flags

Here are some threads in the Pixel 5 forum on the matter:
    Cheers for this, much appreciated. I can confirm (yet again) that you have to do disable-verity to root the P6 Pro. It's early enough since getting the phone (literally today) that wiping data isn't too much of a hassle at this stage IMO.

Factory images are now up, I've just booted a freshly wiped phone with a magisk patch image, transferring stuff again now :)
    1635445408510.png

Confirmed.
    Alright, so it's possible. Props to @snovvman for linking the vvb2060 repo, because if you read into the bits in English on the telegram, you'll discover that it has MagiskHide still, as an option.

So:
    Download the latest alpha build from https://t.me/magiskalpha
    Install it by patching the boot image and flashing in fastboot. You might be able to do a direct install, but I patched it manually and checked it booted with fastboot first first to be safe.
    After it boots, you may need to uninstall a hidden Magisk manager if you didn't already - at this point the alpha build will take over, and tell you it needs to install some files and reboot, allow it.
    After rebooting, go into the Magisk settings and disable Zygisk. A magisk hide option will magically appear. Reboot.
    Install Riru and the latest Universal SafetyNet Fix. There's no repo in the build, so you need to get these from GitHub. I also have MagiskHide Props Config installed, but not with any BASIC spoofing enabled, just installed - not sure if that's required. Doesn't seem to be required.
    Reboot.
    Make sure you have Play Services unstable and snet added to your DenyList (it's still called DenyList, but it's Hide)

Job done!

1635533860772.png
    The loss of "Hide Magisk" in the lastest release means a few of my apps (banking and work expense) are not going to work if I root my Pixel 6 P. So disappointing. I will miss GravityBox the most, but will learn to live without it.
    Magisk 23010 has DenyList, which works exactly like MagiskHide. However, getting Safetynet to pass is more complicated, as Riru is not compatible with 23010, so you can't use Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 or newer. So, I went back to Magisk 23001.