***READ THIS!!!!!!*** Going from CM7/MIUI/OMFGB to another rom/Unbricking your device

Search This thread

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
Updated OP with a good link to a Factory restore tar seeing as how our dickheaded friends in the government decided to shut down Multiupload. Sorry for the poor support of this thread but I have since gotten rid of my fascinate and have moved on the the Gnex.

Last edited:

Loop4zil

Jul 1, 2010
Johns Creek, GA
Where can I get a custom cwm recovery.tar file for the Fascinate

I did something terrible to my phone while trying to install anICS rom. I used this guide to get my phone operational again. THANKS!

Last edited:

30secs

Dec 19, 2009
HELP people!!... followed the steps.. ODIN is green PASS! (didn't see profit) but the progress bar on phone is STUCK at about 80%!!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

HELP people!!... followed the steps.. ODIN is green PASS! (didn't see profit) but the progress bar on phone is STUCK at about 80%!!

WHEW... rebooted and phone loads in stock... that was weird.

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

WHEW... rebooted and phone loads in stock... that was weird.

Yea, Odin does some weird stuff sometimes. For future reference, just pull the cord out, reboot and start the process the over and that will usually always fix those problems.

sent by a Scumbag Kanger

dgforce

Jul 26, 2010
Ok, so I bricked my phone trying to install an ICS rom and it is locked on the Gummy load screen. I'm in desperate need of the Odin PDA file, but can't seem to find any reliable link to it. Every link is from either multiupload or megaupload which are bother gone. Can anyone help?

Edit: I also cannot seem to access download mode, despite holding down the volume down and power button while plugging my phone in. Editing my edit. I'm a fool and misread a part. Forgot to pull my battery before attempting to enter download mode.

Last edited:

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
Ok, so I bricked my phone trying to install an ICS rom and it is locked on the Gummy load screen. I'm in desperate need of the Odin PDA file, but can't seem to find any reliable link to it. Every link is from either multiupload or megaupload which are bother gone. Can anyone help?

Edit: I also cannot seem to access download mode, despite holding down the volume down and power button while plugging my phone in. Editing my edit. I'm a fool and misread a part. Forgot to pull my battery before attempting to enter download mode.

I have the files, I just need to find a place to upload them.

sent by a Scumbag Kanger

BretskiSmith

Dec 21, 2010
plus.google.com
So with this phone, you cant flash roms like normal or bad things happen? Like right now if I have cm7 on it, I can't take the normal steps one would take to change roms?

SupraLance

Nov 12, 2010
Stone County, Missouri
Please ignore all the 3+ yr old stickied threads in this section which badly need to be unstickied.
I recommend you follow DroidStyles guide instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

And to more directly answer your question, every phone out there has little idiosyncrasies to overcome particular issues and the Fascinate is no exception. If you already have CM7 and GB bootloaders, you will probably be ok just flashing forward without Odining back. But following the above guide is best practice and highly recommended. Check the link above for details...

Last edited:
Reactions: apologod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured I would put this out there for those who have flashed or are thinking of flashing CM7/MIUI/OMFGB/OMGB or any mtd rom for that matter. If you have flashed one of the aforementioned roms, then you will need to use odin if/when you choose to go to another non-mtd rom. But, you cannot simply use any odin file and there is a particular procedure that is needed to execute this correctly. *Note* This method will also work to unbrick your device from pretty much anything. ***PERFORM ALL OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS WITH THE BATTERY IN YOUR PHONE, DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY***

STEP 1. Open odin (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?73ta726ghelw381) and place the linked file below in the "PDA" section and WAIT. You will need 7zip or the like to extract the tar image from the zip file below. This particular type of odin file is the only kind that I know of that contains the proper bootloaders to re-partition your phone. ONLY THE PDA SECTION!!!!

Link removed. My dropbox account was suspended due to excessive traffic. I'll figure out another place to upload and then post the link.

STEP 2. Then, place this file in the "PIT" section in odin and WAIT.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20070269/atlas_v2.3.pit <---*Atlas_v2.3 Re-partitioning "PIT" file*

STEP 3. And place a check in the "Re-partition" box in odin.

STEP 4. At this point you need to power off your phone. Then, enter download mode by holding the volume down button and continuing to hold it while you plug the cable into your phone, you should then see a yellow "downloading" screen popup. If/when this happens, go to step 5.

STEP 5. When you have done the first 4 STEPS, THEN hit the "START" button in odin and wait about 5-10 minutes until you see the green "PASS" in odin and profit. ***You must allow the phone to boot fully one time after running this odin process so that it can wipe the phone and complete the the re-partitioning.*** However, when the phone boots, you will be on stock, binged, bloated, unrooted TouchWiz. So odin a recovery and remedy that situation quickly!!! And just in case there are any misconceptions, you do NOT need to be rooted to install a custom cwm recovery.tar file with odin. So unless you plan on staying stock, you don't need to root again because any rom you flash will already be rooted. So just odin a recovery and boot immediately into the recovery via the 3 finger method (holding both volume up and down buttons and the power button at the same time and continue to hold them until you see the samsung logo). YOU MUST DO IT THIS WAY BEFORE THE PHONES BOOTS UP NORMALLY OR YOU WILL LOSE THE RECOVERY THAT YOU JUST ODINED! Then, as good practice, follow the instructions of the next paragraph.

And as a good suggestion, if you want voodoo converted partitions (in others words, if you want to flash a voodoo kernel) after odin does it's thing, flash this package (courtesy of navenedrob) from cwm recovery 3x before flashing whatever rom in conjunction with a voodoo kernel you were wanting to flash after coming from CM7 MTD/GB MIUI. Here is the link, flash this if you want voodoo partitions (ext4): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20070269/ext4_formatter_all.zip . This will help to insure that you obtain a clean install of whatever rom/voodoo kernel you are flashing after coming from CM7 MTD/GB MIUI ***If you flash the Ext4 package, you must flash a voodoo kernel afterwards or you will have another brick.***

It is absolutely mandatory that you follow these steps exactly to properly get off of CM7 MTD/GB MIUI so that you can flash another rom. Attempting another method or not following these steps implicitly will result in eventual problems down the line and/or a bricked phone and you will have to follow this guide to fix it.
    you are correct, if you odin dl09 with the atlas 2.2 pit, it will only boot to recovery.

You HAVE to let it boot into stock recovery once after flashing the full Odin. Stock recovery needs to do an automatic data wipe before it boots into the OS. Which is why if you were to flash cwm right after flashing the full Odin, you'd get the datadata/dbdata issues.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
    Updated OP with a good link to a Factory restore tar seeing as how our dickheaded friends in the government decided to shut down Multiupload. Sorry for the poor support of this thread but I have since gotten rid of my fascinate and have moved on the the Gnex.
    Moved to the development section and temporarily stuck for now.
    Please ignore all the 3+ yr old stickied threads in this section which badly need to be unstickied.
    I recommend you follow DroidStyles guide instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

And to more directly answer your question, every phone out there has little idiosyncrasies to overcome particular issues and the Fascinate is no exception. If you already have CM7 and GB bootloaders, you will probably be ok just flashing forward without Odining back. But following the above guide is best practice and highly recommended. Check the link above for details...