• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Read this if you are unable to use local WhatsApp backup

Search This thread

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
I just spent hours trying to get WhatsApp to recognize my local WhatsApp backup.

So I placed the WhatsApp folder from my old phone under /sdcard/. WhatsApp should find it when starting for the first time. But it did not and only looked in my Google Drive.

Apparently all the newer WhatsApp versions are bugged in that regard. You have to uninstall WhatsApp and install an old version: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/whatsapp-inc/whatsapp/whatsapp-2-21-9-15-release/#downloads (Get arm64-v8a for the Pixel 6 Pro.)
That old version will successfully find your local backup and restore your messages and media.

After that you can update WhatsApp to the current version from the play store.

Apparently the WhatsApp folder moved, see the post below: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-local-whatsapp-backup.4357157/post-85891653

Last edited:

s3axel

Had the same for some time now. The Whatsapp data folder has moved from /sdcard/WhatsApp to /sdcard/Android/media/com.Whatsapp

Simply copy your local WhatsApp data in there (the whole folder, in the end there must be a "WhatsApp" folder below the path above) and you shoudl be good to go....

Reactions: mko000

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
Had the same for some time now. The Whatsapp data folder has moved from /sdcard/WhatsApp to /sdcard/Android/media/com.Whatsapp

Simply copy your local WhatsApp data in there (the whole folder, in the end there must be a "WhatsApp" folder below the path above) and you shoudl be good to go....
Damn, you're right. Wish I had known that earlier. Thanks, I'll edit my post!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.