• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

REAL Android os on a SciPhone G2

Search This thread

Major-Hardon

Oct 3, 2008
i was wondering if someone could help me install android on my sciphone dream g2, i know i am cheap and probably stupid too. but i needed a phone to work with and it was cheap. if you know how to do it and also, i would like to try and install android on my cect m88+ iclone.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
I'm not sure if it would be possible. You have a different set of drivers (which means you have to build your own build from the proper Android tree). Then you'd have to incorporate the features you want from the other trees. What I'm worried about is the storage space on the device. It's really small. (If I read correctly.) But I'm not a guru by any means.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Different sites reports different storage sizes.

Last edited:

TonyHoyle

Mar 2, 2009
Manchester
Another site reports more space...
And:

Support Java MIDP 2.0
Is this true??

That's not going to help - you're talking about talking the OS... It's quite a big project IMO. If you're familiar enough with the hardware on the device and have some experience of writing device drivers it's probably doable (provided the phone is capable of it - 32mb RAM, 32mb Flash, 200mhz processor as an absolute minimum).

Last edited:

Major-Hardon

Oct 3, 2008
Features

* Slim/Flat Touch Screen

* Dimensions : 56 x 107.2 x 11.8mm

* Weight : 110G

* High-Res TFT display, 240 X 320 dots resolution with

* 2.8 inch Touch Screen

* Memory card slot supporting up to 16 GB microSD memory cards

* Up to 80MB internal dynamic memory for messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list and applications

* Talk Time: Up to approximately 2-3 hours

* EDGE 2.75G high-speed network

thats some of the specs of my phone

Autarkis

Dec 12, 2008
Basel
You would need further:

* exact type of processor: type, version, frequency
* exact type of GSM hardware, including version and subversion PLUS an appropriate radio flash or source therof or something making the Radio stuff work
* architecture of memory / flash
* chip and version of the USB subsystem: EHCI, OHCI or UHCI ?
* video chip: type, architecture, speed, version
* chip and version of the WiFi subsystem PLUS the orginal manufacturer's firmware
* sound chip: type, version - how does it interact with the GSM Radio subsystem?

... and so on, and so on. It would be nice to have a test cell tower simulator. But then, who would'nt like to have one? :D

Once you get this data (it's probably easiest to get an original schematic - from the manufacturer or from somewhere else), you can check each of the hardware components if they're supported in Android, if not, if they are supported in Linux. If not, you might be able to code them yourself.

Brace yourself. This will be a project using up about 1-5 man-years (and I'm talking about 5 days / wk, 8-hour days, not 1-3 evenings a week) depending on the amount of hardware support that already exists. Furthermore, it will be beyond a lot of peoples abilities (including mine) to assist you in any way. This is one hell of a tough job you're facing (barring the magical event that the phone accidentally is virtually a G1 clone. ;)).

I guess what I'm saying is: It's not worth the trouble. Once you've done all this, Android 5.0 will be running World of Warcraft II ;).

derekedw

Feb 6, 2008
Yah...if this were doable with any kind of ease, you'd see many other phones out there with Android on it. It's just not feasible without the right resources.

Android may be free and open source, but it's only ever really been configured to work with one phone so far, the G1. There's a whole separate tree on Android just for the G1.

This is the same reason why you can't take a Windows Mobile ROM from a Motorola and put it on an HTC device. Software has to be made to work with hardware

So basically it's going to take some heavy heavy development to get something like this done and wouldn't be worth it for anyone to do it for free, when they could be making a VERY nice income getting paid to do it.

It cost a company thousands of $$ in resources to get an OS working with its hardware. This is why MACs couldn't run PC hardware for so long. MAC OS only worked with certain processors.

So yah...I don't think anything like this is going to happen real soon and be on a level where it's supported. The good thing is that since Android is free and open source, some software chop shop in India or China will have it working on Generic phones once the OS matures a little further past G1 hardware.

****and yes I know the OS has been on other phones, but really only supported on one phone successfully so far.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
Guys, you missed one thing. The phone ALREADY RUNS ANDROID, just not a very good version. He's not asking about porting Android, he's asking about building a full featured build and installing it on his phone.

Major-Hardon

Oct 3, 2008
just shoot my dreams down then -.- i only came here for help. i know it doesn't have the real android os and i know it's going to be a trip porting drivers over for it. if i have to i guess i will have to code the drivers myself if i can. i was just here looking for some friendly help and not being shot down for a phone i bought. i did not have enough for the real deal so i thought i could make something good out of a clone. i did that with my iclone cect m88+. shoot i don't mind if i can install windows mobile on it. atleast it is something i can use and maintain with a better os then the one on it.the phone works but it has alot of bugs in it.

Last edited: