Question Really no fix for HDR/DV dark scenes?

Search This thread

gregyk

Nov 9, 2010
I was really satisfied with tablet until I started to watch DV and HDR movies (netflix, hbomax, plex). Searching internet and I could not find nothing to get rid of "ultra" black dark scenes in videos.

Is there any app that would change gamma of video or something like that?

I'm so disappointed that I'm looking which tablet should I buy and sell this one ... wrote to Xiaomi via email and via system bug report and no solution, it seems they really don't care for us - users of this tablet ...

Anyone with some "solution" out there? :)

AssumedDiz

May 13, 2013
I am using kodi + netflix plugin to force SDR streams
It takes some effort to set up and you lose some of netflix functionality (like downloads)
I think there's also similar plugins for other services (disney+, HBOmax, etc) but I have not personally tried them
It's a shame because xiaomi keeps marketing this device as Dolby Vision capable but we have to look for workarounds to disable this "feature"
Hopefully they will fix it if we provide enough reports, and now that the device got released in India it's expected to get more attention because it's a big market for Xiaomi

Reactions: Shan8nu

Shan8nu

Sep 21, 2016
I was really satisfied with tablet until I started to watch DV and HDR movies (netflix, hbomax, plex). Searching internet and I could not find nothing to get rid of "ultra" black dark scenes in videos.

Is there any app that would change gamma of video or something like that?

I'm so disappointed that I'm looking which tablet should I buy and sell this one ... wrote to Xiaomi via email and via system bug report and no solution, it seems they really don't care for us - users of this tablet ...

Anyone with some "solution" out there? :)
I'm also looking for this from weeks but no luck. We have to wait if Xiomi will fix this via update or we have to accept and start using as it is.

For the new tablet, you won't get any tablet in this price range which can beat mi tab 5 performance (except DV and HDR issue) if you want to wait then check realme tab having 870 processor and same specifications as mi pad 5.

Sharath007

Jul 4, 2013
Go to Advanced tools -> Video toolbox and add apps to video toolbox. Now when you open any added app, you will see a pill at top left corner. Drag it and select different styles of scenes. One of those styles disables HDR.

skater96

Mar 16, 2013
Madrid
Go to Advanced tools -> Video toolbox and add apps to video toolbox. Now when you open any added app, you will see a pill at top left corner. Drag it and select different styles of scenes. One of those styles disables HDR.
That's not true at all. There's not a single option that disables HDR, they only apply filters to the apps you chose. HDR is on a system level and it cannot be disabled at this moment.

Toolbox might help if you chose the "Outside" style, but still crap with black/dark content.

Sharath007

Jul 4, 2013
That's not true at all. There's not a single option that disables HDR, they only apply filters to the apps you chose. HDR is on a system level and it cannot be disabled at this moment.

Toolbox might help if you chose the "Outside" style, but still crap with black/dark content.
I agree. It doesn't solve the issue entirely but atleast I can see the picture a little better in bright environment.
Xiaomi should definitely address this.

AssumedDiz

May 13, 2013
What ips has to do with HDR? There are ips tv with hdr.
Yeah my thought exactly
People are saying this is an ips panel, display does not have enough brightness, etc.
Companies have been doing HDR on cheap displays for years
The ultimate goal of HDR is having better details in dark scenes.
You can still achieve this even if the display is ips or have average brightness, but you get the side effect of somewhat duller colors
But what I see on the Mi Pad 5 is definitely some kind of a software bug or miscalibration, because it does the exact opposite of HDR, it destroys scene details bright or dark
You can throw all the brightness in the world on this and it's not going to fix it

caubechandai

Feb 11, 2020

Yeah my thought exactly
People are saying this is an ips panel, display does not have enough brightness, etc.
You can still achieve this even if the display is ips or have average brightness, but you get the side effect of somewhat duller colors
But what I see on the Mi Pad 5 is definitely some kind of a software bug or miscalibration, because it does the exact opposite of HDR, it destroys scene details bright or dark
You can throw all the brightness in the world on this and it's not going to fix it
the problem is because the price, if you xiaomi change it with an amoled screen it will easily be 100$ more. your best bet is just sell your tab 5 now and buy a lenovo p11 pro with weaker processor but better screen.

Rkm94

Nov 6, 2018
Yeah my thought exactly
It is a SW issue. DV and HDR is fine with just player and mpv-android. It just doesn't work on streaming platforms.
It's also weird that people point out it's only 500 nits. Many laptop displays, ipads, imacs etc have "only" 500 nits too and they do HDR and DV fine (by fine I mean no black crush issues). So xiaomi just needs to fix it asap.

Reactions: kvanlier

AssumedDiz

May 13, 2013
I have created a post about it in the official miui forums
https://c.mi.com/thread-4072183-1-0.html
if you have this issue and interested in getting it fixed you can leave a reply there that you have the issue
hopefully then it gets enough attention from devs
also report it from your device Settings -> Feedback

skater96

Mar 16, 2013
Madrid

Attachments

• photo_2022-05-22_14-41-42.jpg
    photo_2022-05-22_14-41-42.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: ImFilippo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to reply, but xiaomi forum is as crappy as them their software.
    yeah when I posted the link I had just modified the post to include one more sample
    so it was probably under moderation
    please try now and see if it works, someone posted a reply moments ago

or perhaps try using the app
    I am using kodi + netflix plugin to force SDR streams
    It takes some effort to set up and you lose some of netflix functionality (like downloads)
    I think there's also similar plugins for other services (disney+, HBOmax, etc) but I have not personally tried them
    It's a shame because xiaomi keeps marketing this device as Dolby Vision capable but we have to look for workarounds to disable this "feature"
    Hopefully they will fix it if we provide enough reports, and now that the device got released in India it's expected to get more attention because it's a big market for Xiaomi
    Yeah my thought exactly
    It is a SW issue. DV and HDR is fine with just player and mpv-android. It just doesn't work on streaming platforms.
    It's also weird that people point out it's only 500 nits. Many laptop displays, ipads, imacs etc have "only" 500 nits too and they do HDR and DV fine (by fine I mean no black crush issues). So xiaomi just needs to fix it asap.