• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Realme 7 RMX2151 Realme UI 2.0 Bricked After Upgrade - Lockscreen Flicker Issue

Search This thread

said1219

Aug 11, 2021
TL;DR: Removing com.coloros.weather.service through ADB and upgrading to Realme UI 2.0 will cause a flicker-brick on the lock screen.

Possible solutions:
  1. Run adb shell cmd pm enable com.coloros.weather.service; will only work if you keep the USB debugging enabled and tick 'Always allow connection from this PC' during previous ADB sessions.
  2. Wait for Realme to release an OTA to fix this problem. No one knows how long it will take to develop and propagate, no one even knows whether they see this issue yet, and once they saw it, no one knows whether they'll consider fixing it.
Quick wins:
  1. How to allow running adb-command during this flicker-brick state? USB debugging is enabled; however, since I did not tick 'always allow', the device shows as 'unauthorized' on adb devices.
  2. How to raise this issue to Realme? How to let their relevant (technical) team know about this problem? Usually, a case from customer service has to be escalated multiple times to reach the technical team.
As listed on recovery options below, one of the quick solutions for this problem is to simply wipe the device or flash an ozip over it. However, I just lost my wife last month to COVID. We sent each other a lot of voice messages during her final days. I tried reinstalling WhatsApp using the same number. The latest backup WhatsApp found on Google Drive is dated early July. There are also many camera roll pictures not showing on Google Photos. Hence my worst-case solution is worded "wipe the phone, move on, and make amends". However, I am not ready to accept this solution yet.

======================= Full issue description and analysis =======================

Hi! I need some help regarding the "lock screen flicker" issue upon upgrading Realme 7 RMX2151 to Realme UI 2.0 (based on Android 11). The problem is widely known, and the suspected root cause is already found. However, I'm here to seek suggestions and ideas.

The issue is not specific to Realme 7; it generally applies to all Realme UI 2.0 upgrades. But since my device is Realme 7 RMX2151, I decided to post it here. The title might be a bit misleading since the flicker is unlike a CRT flicker, but simply the screen turns on and off frequently. To watch the issue:
It's not my video, but the problem is the exact same.

What still works:
  • Alarm works, also snoozing and dismissing them
  • Receiving and rejecting calls works, but the contact name won't appear since the phonebook is still encrypted
  • Pressing and holding the power button will trigger a grey rectangle that persists during the flicker
  • Pressing and holding power + volume up will reboot the device
  • Pressing and holding power + volume up + volume down will reboot the device into Recovery
  • The Recovery works perfectly, including OTA updates
The root cause is the removal of com.coloros.weather.service package. A user may choose to remove this package to 'debloat' their phone and remove the unused app. Little did they expect that this seemingly unimportant package will cause the lock screen flicker issue upon upgrade. This has been acknowledged by Mywk on his thread "[GUIDE][EU/IN ROM] REALME UI Debloat List"
Mywk said:
Weather Service
[WARNING] Uninstalling this and updating your phone to Android 11 WILL BRICK your device.
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.coloros.weather.service

Suggested solutions so far:
  1. Enabling com.coloros.weather.service through adb
    This solution only works if:
    - you enabled USB debugging (a prerequisite for debloating through ADB) and did not disable it afterwards
    - you ticked 'always allow connection' (forgot the exact wording) when using adb to save the keys on the device
    - some kind of luck that the device will allow debugging even though it had not been unlocked after the first boot
    From r/Realme Discord Server

Untitled.png

2. [CONFIRMED DATA LOSS] Get into recovery mode and wipe the device. However, some users reported that the issue persists after the device wipe unless the device is downgraded to Realme UI 1.0. For Realme 7 RMX2151 (non-EU), the official downgrade package can be downloaded here. Copy the ozip into the root of the SD Card and install it through Recovery. It is appropriately signed, so it can be used on stock recovery.

3. Wait for Realme to release an OTA update to fix this issue and make it available. It could take months for it to propagate, though. I'm not sure whether they are aware of this issue or think it is worth fixing (debloat = user's fault?)

4. [SUSPECTED DATA LOSS] Flash an ozip of the same or more recent firmware. The ozip flash feature of stock recovery does not clearly state 'Keep Data', unlike check OTA that says so directly under the command. But shouldn't an update ozip (to a more recent version, not a rollback) works like regular OTA?

5. [CONFIRMED PARTIAL DATA LOSS] Pulling the internal storade through recovery mode. App data will be lost.
    This solution only works if:
    - you enabled USB debugging (a prerequisite for debloating through ADB) and did not disable it afterwards
    - you ticked 'always allow connection' (forgot the exact wording) when using adb to save the keys on the device

Boot into recovery mode. Choose to install ozip from the device. Recovery will then ask for the device password to decrypt the internal storage. Do not choose any file. Connect the phone to the computer and do an adb pull.

6. Use a Boot ROM (BROM) exploit by Dinolek and k4y0z to inject the package com.coloros.weather.service. Or, in my specific case (USB Debugging enabled but RSA Public Key not saved on device), write the public key on /data/misc/adb/adb_keys.

However, I need more guidance on how to do this, as most tutorials I saw was to overwrite the phone with a custom ROM, while my current objective is to return my phone to normal function through reinstalling com.coloros.weather.service or at least decrypt the internal storage and pull the files out (app data will be lost). I cannot understand and adapt the tutorial to my objective or even know whether this BROM exploit will help me.

Possible outcomes:
  • Best scenario: You could magically issue an ADB command to reinstall com.coloros.weather.service in the flicker-bricked state. I did keep USB debugging enabled, but I did not save my computer's RSA key on the device; hence the device shows up as 'unauthorized' on adb devices. Any suggestions?
  • Not-so-bad: somehow, an ADB command could be issued in recovery mode or normal boot to pull the data. The same problem occurs: I did not save my computer's RSA key on the device; hence the device shows up as 'unauthorized' on adb devices. Any suggestions?
  • Another scenario: Realme realizes this issue and works on a fix. The fix is made available as an OTA and can be downloaded through recovery mode. Any ideas where to ask to increase the chance of this happening?
  • Worst case: wipe the phone, move on, and make amends with whatever App Backup, Google Photos, WhatsApp Cloud Backup, etc., successfully keep.

Last edited:

said1219

Aug 11, 2021
any updates? usb debug not working i removed long time ago weather service didnt know that issue with new realme ui 2.0 now my phone is broken... realme 6
No updates so far.

Realme stated that they won't fix this issue. Debloating through adb is considered an unsupported modification of base OS. If the OTA breaks the OS, their direction is to wipe the device (data will be lost).

I consider this is lousy engineering and hazardous to user data, though.

droi1

No updates so far.

Realme stated that they won't fix this issue. Debloating through adb is considered an unsupported modification of base OS. If the OTA breaks the OS, their direction is to wipe the device (data will be lost).

is there maybe a way to enable usb debugging via recover mode? Or at least backup my data from it? Or go back to Realme UI 1.0 im realy lost....

said1219

Aug 11, 2021
is there maybe a way to enable usb debugging via recover mode?
No. If there is, then it would be a HUGE security bug.

Or at least backup my data from it?
  1. Enter recovery mode.
  2. Decrypt your storage. Choose "Install Updates" -> "From storage". Enter your device Password/Pattern/PIN. Do not choose any file. We're doing this only to get the recovery to decrypt storage.
  3. Run adb root (this requires you to tap 'always allow' the first time you set up adb, see this screen. If you don't tick that box, then you're out of luck. No way to recover data.)
  4. Run adb pull /data/media/0/path/to/file. e.g. adb pull /data/media/0/DCIM/Camera/IMG_20211002_211234.heic. If you want to pull 10.000 files, run this command 10.000 times. Please note that this command cannot pull your application's data. The named file will be copied to the directory that adb resides.
After doing that for like, 2 weeks straight, I succesfully get all my data except the chat history of WhatsApp, Signal, and Threema.
Or go back to Realme UI 1.0 im realy lost....
No. Please refer to my post on another thread.

droi1

No. If there is, then it would be a HUGE security bug.

Run adb root (this requires you to tap 'always allow' the first time you set up adb, see this screen. If you don't tick that box, then you're out of luck. No way to recover data.)
my phone is not rootet i get this error in minimal adb:
unable to connect for root: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set

said1219

Aug 11, 2021
my phone is not rootet i get this error in minimal adb:
unable to connect for root: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
The command is to gain root access, not to root your phone. The command to root your phone is adb oem unlock to unlock the bootloader, flashing a custom bootloader (e.g. TWRP), and then flashing a root zip file (e.g. Magisk).

The error message indicated that you did not tick 'always allow' the first time you set up adb (see this screen). Sorry, you're out of luck. No way to recover data.

droi1

The command is to gain root access, not to root your phone. The command to root your phone is adb oem unlock to unlock the bootloader, flashing a custom bootloader (e.g. TWRP), and then flashing a root zip file (e.g. Magisk).

The error message indicated that you did not tick 'always allow' the first time you set up adb (see this screen). Sorry, you're out of luck. No way to recover data.
i only want backup Photos from Whatsapp and DCIM not even this is possible? I will never ever debloat my Phone again with ADB...

jime1

Jul 27, 2013
Center
thanks for your help

i did wipe data in recovery (retain contacts, mesages & photos) but same issue the weather service is not back so i have to format the phone
they trapped us real good. sneaky bastards. lets make sure to let them know that they are only digging their own grave.

lowbu

Dec 15, 2019
Any solution yet? I'm stuck, too.

The problem's been discussed in this thread, too (however, no solution either - yet) :

lowbu

Dec 15, 2019
No updates so far.

Is this an official Realme statement? Where did you find this?

Thx.