Realme 9 pro+: Battery capacity lower than advertised? I'm not sure what to make of this.

Search This thread

hcwdjk

Feb 17, 2013
I bought this phone less than a month ago. I bought it new from a reputable store. The battery is advertised as 4500 mAh typical / 4400 mAh min. I quickly noticed that Accubattery is showing a significantly smaller capacity, around 4000 mAh.

Screenshot_2022-10-03-11-30-41-04_c16463119b2846b842c96b1f1e02ea9a.jpg

(it was showing 4200 at first, then after a full discharge followed by a full charge it dropped to below 4000).

Normally I would chalk this up to inaccurate measurement, however:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-10-03 114455.png

The kernel is reporting design capacity of the battery as 3996 mAh. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this output, but it seems to indicate that the phone actually contains a 4000mAh battery, instead of 4500.

Surely a large global brand is not falsely advertising the battery in their phones, right? What is going on here?

hcwdjk

Feb 17, 2013
20 to 30 sessions at least what i have seen on other devices.
Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. charge_full_design is hardcoded at the factory and it indicates the design capacity of the battery.
I think battery itself is right and ok because designed capacity shows 4500 mAh
If you're talking about the value from the Accubattery screenshot, I entered that manually in the app.

Fytdyh

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. charge_full_design is hardcoded at the factory and it indicates the design capacity of the battery.

If you're talking about the value from the Accubattery screenshot, I entered that manually in the app.
If you are so sure about this, then change the battery. For sure that reputable store sold you a phone with a bad battery. Change the battery, it is still covered by warranty.

hcwdjk

Feb 17, 2013
If you are so sure about this, then change the battery. For sure that reputable store sold you a phone with a bad battery. Change the battery, it is still covered by warranty.
I'm not sure about it, which is why I'm posting here. I want to understand what are some other possible explanations for this.

The only thing I'm sure of so far is that Dayuser is making **** up.

Last edited:

Bernie_W

Jan 23, 2016
Same on my 9 pro+ and actually my gut feeling here is that it's indeed not as long-lasting compared to another phone with similar specs and battery capacity. Great phone, but a bit worrying.

Can someone explain the CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN or send a link to a description. My searches didn't give a very clear picture as users of other phones reported sometimes a match, sometimes a mismatch to the advertised capacities. Might it be that these are old, left-over settings from older Android versions, which don't mean anything anymore?

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Full
POWER_SUPPLY_HEALTH=Good
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=100
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=301
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4401
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN=4389
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=-289
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=4712
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_COUNTER=4500000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_MAX=2000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=3993000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=3993000
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_FULL_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Normal

hcwdjk

Feb 17, 2013
@Bernie_W thanks for replying.

I actually found a display unit in a store, and it showed a correct value (4436 mAh): https://photos.app.goo.gl/jQZjcWyc1rKGoAcx6

As for CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN, it's supposed to show the capacity of a brand new battery, however some batteries don't implement this correctly and just show the same value as CHARGE_FULL (which is the current capacity at full charge). I believe this is the case on this phone, as I noticed this value changing slightly after a full charge.

It's an interface from the Linux kernel,, not strictly Android. The documentation is here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/power/power_supply_class.html

Anyway, I sent the phone back for warranty, still waiting for response.

Reactions: Bernie_W

Bernie_W

Jan 23, 2016

I actually found a display unit in a store, and it showed a correct value (4436 mAh): https://photos.app.goo.gl/jQZjcWyc1rKGoAcx6

As for CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN, it's supposed to show the capacity of a brand new battery, however some batteries don't implement this correctly and just show the same value as CHARGE_FULL (which is the current capacity at full charge). I believe this is the case on this phone, as I noticed this value changing slightly after a full charge.

It's an interface from the Linux kernel,, not strictly Android. The documentation is here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/power/power_supply_class.html

Very interesting video, thanks for that. But even, if the phone would show CHARGE_FULL it should be way over 4000 mAh, so there is something wrong in my opinion. And you gave the prove with your video, that it should be higher.
I started to check, as I had the feeling the battery is not lasting enough. And I had a couple of phones over the past with similar battery capacities. So, I landed here and found your valuable report.
Would be great, if you get back your phone to let us know, if this has changed. I would then consider sending mine back, too.

hcwdjk

Feb 17, 2013
Very interesting video, thanks for that. But even, if the phone would show CHARGE_FULL it should be way over 4000 mAh, so there is something wrong in my opinion. And you gave the prove with your video, that it should be higher.
I started to check, as I had the feeling the battery is not lasting enough. And I had a couple of phones over the past with similar battery capacities. So, I landed here and found your valuable report.
Would be great, if you get back your phone to let us know, if this has changed. I would then consider sending mine back, too.
I just received a response. They confirm the issue and they replaced the battery. I'll let you know how it looks when I get back the phone.

Bernie_W

Jan 23, 2016
I just received a response. They confirm the issue and they replaced the battery. I'll let you know how it looks when I get back the phone.
Wow, that's interesting news. I actually confronted the service center here in Europe as well. The didn't try to reject or talk me down, feels a bit like they know. Answer was simply, "if you want to return the phone, please contact nearest service center".
May I ask what they confirmed in your case, would possibly help if I connect to a local service center?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.