Question Realme gt and gt me media storage app talking too much space

Search This thread
Jan 9, 2022
One big issue nobody talks about or is completely unaware about is that everytime you download or store any media like movies, not only does the original space of the movie gets occupied, the media storage app in the phone magically increases the exact same amount of storage usage. You could verify it yourself by going into storage and select the view system apps option. So for example if you download a 2 gb movie, instead of going from 62-60gb storage space, it goes from 62-58gb storage space. This is very big issue which is also faced by many OnePlus devices. You cannot force stop the media storage app or delete any data or cache in it. The only temporary solutions which worked for some is deleting the recycle bin data, clearing unwanted data using files app and maybe resetting your device but the fact that this issue exists is a huge problem and is still unresolved for many users. I hope someone might be able to solve this issue or could at least help make realme aware about this issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-09-19-33-55-49_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-09-19-33-55-49_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_2022-01-09-19-33-38-92_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-09-19-33-38-92_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: jitd

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
Google has already solved it with Pixel 5. But Chinese manufacturers seem, kind of, lost in translation :(
Jokes apart, I have this same problem with OP 9RT and am really tired of deleting my videos, photos again and again..... Android 12 didn't solve it and after Oxygen OS 12 I have little hope that Android 13 will be any better.

Jan 9, 2022
Google has already solved it with Pixel 5. But Chinese manufacturers seem, kind of, lost in translation :(
Jokes apart, I have this same problem with OP 9RT and am really tired of deleting my videos, photos again and again..... Android 12 didn't solve it and after Oxygen OS 12 I have little hope that Android 13 will be any better.
I think I might have been wrong, after further inspection the Google files app showed the proper storage. I think it may be a problem of the storage app showing wrong storage for some reason instead of actually losing storage. I don't remember correctly if the issue was on the storage options in setting or Google files itself.

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
I think I might have been wrong, after further inspection the Google files app showed the proper storage. I think it may be a problem of the storage app showing wrong storage for some reason instead of actually losing storage. I don't remember correctly if the issue was on the storage options in setting or Google files itself.
Are you sure?
Asking as I also used many Storage apps, like SD Maid etc. and some of them actually did not show the space taken by Media Storage app! As per them the storage was fine and free there.....
But then I found out that when the Media Storage size went over 50-52Gb, I couldn't install a huge game, like Genshin in my phone any more as Play Store showed the message that I have to uninstall some apps to make space!!!
So apparently, at least in my 9RT, the Play Store/System is considering the space shown in Media Storage as real!

This is the present situation in my phone, after many resets ....

apps.jpeg

Out of this 40Gb apps, the Media Storage is taking 30Gb....

media storage.jpeg

Which, by now, I'm sure is consisting of that 25Gb videos and other app data :(

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
All I can hope for now is by some miracle, OP fix it or that Google brings the Pixel 7 to India...... as at least they listen to the Bug reports and do solve them even if it takes some time. OP 9 Pro has this problem since launch, and by now, in almost 1 year One Plus couldn't solve it....so I really have very little hope from them now.

Jan 9, 2022
Are you sure?
Asking as I also used many Storage apps, like SD Maid etc. and some of them actually did not show the space taken by Media Storage app! As per them the storage was fine and free there.....
But then I found out that when the Media Storage size went over 50-52Gb, I couldn't install a huge game, like Genshin in my phone any more as Play Store showed the message that I have to uninstall some apps to make space!!!
So apparently, at least in my 9RT, the Play Store/System is considering the space shown in Media Storage as real!

View attachment 5650339

View attachment 5650341

Are you sure?

View attachment 5650339

View attachment 5650341

How much storage do you have left? Cause I just looked into and remembered that you don't have to worry too much about the media storage app taking your space cause I don't think it actually affects your space even though it shows in your settings.Screenshot_2022-07-01-23-45-14-39_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
My phone has a total internal space of 256gb(my phone doesn't have a sd slot also) and as you can see, I've only used 204gb of my space but adding all the storage shown below(especially the video and app storage) I've almost used 300gb space which is almost impossible.
Screenshot_2022-07-01-23-50-43-46_e5d3893ac03954c6bb675ef2555b879b.jpg
Another example is my Google files app which literally shows I've used 297gb even though my phone literally has a 256gb internal storage. So I think it's safe to assume that the media storage app doesn't actually cause much issue and you don't have to worry about it too much.

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
Interesting!
My Google Files is showing I have 66GB free (out of 128GB). But Downloads(4.1)+Videos (25) + Docs (4.7) + Apps (40) is totaling to 73.8GB. That comes to a total of 74+66 = 140GB!!!!
Now, taking that (as per Files) I have 66GB free, I have used up 62GB already. That may be as - Videos(25)+Downloads(4.1)+Docs (4.7)+ about 28GB of System, may be? I don't have any idea how much space Android 11/12 takes now a days....

Tomorrow I will fill my phone with some more videos to take the Media Storage app size to around 60GB at least (need some 35GB of movie files, which fortunately I have :) This should make the device think that I have used up all of my 128GB (incl. system) space. And then I will again try to install Genshin/WOT Blitz/Grid , any one game of about 3-4-5GB and see what the system says......

As it's past 12:30 at night in my end, I'm switching off for today now....Will report tomorrow about the storage experiment! Take care, bye!

Reactions: Yellowflash070
Jan 9, 2022
Interesting!
My Google Files is showing I have 66GB free (out of 128GB). But Downloads(4.1)+Videos (25) + Docs (4.7) + Apps (40) is totaling to 73.8GB. That comes to a total of 74+66 = 140GB!!!!
Now, taking that (as per Files) I have 66GB free, I have used up 62GB already. That may be as - Videos(25)+Downloads(4.1)+Docs (4.7)+ about 28GB of System, may be? I don't have any idea how much space Android 11/12 takes now a days....

Tomorrow I will fill my phone with some more videos to take the Media Storage app size to around 60GB at least (need some 35GB of movie files, which fortunately I have :) This should make the device think that I have used up all of my 128GB (incl. system) space. And then I will again try to install Genshin/WOT Blitz/Grid , any one game of about 3-4-5GB and see what the system says......

As it's past 12:30 at night in my end, I'm switching off for today now....Will report tomorrow about the storage experiment! Take care, bye!
Have a good day

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
Hi!!!

Became so busy I couldn't come to this thread.....
As per my last post, I filled up my phone towards up to 60GB and yup, my total storage went well over 128GB as per Files app :) And yeah, Play Store didn't let me install a small game of about 10MB as it showed the message of no space available.
Lost the screenshots, as I hard reset the phone again on the advice of some OnePlus customer care service provider. No result, it's still the same......

Jan 9, 2022
Hi!!!

Became so busy I couldn't come to this thread.....
As per my last post, I filled up my phone towards up to 60GB and yup, my total storage went well over 128GB as per Files app :) And yeah, Play Store didn't let me install a small game of about 10MB as it showed the message of no space available.
Lost the screenshots, as I hard reset the phone again on the advice of some OnePlus customer care service provider. No result, it's still the same......
So i guess apart from installing new apps after the fake storage filled situation, i guess we won't be having much problems.

jitd

Oct 23, 2014
OnePlus 9RT
So i guess apart from installing new apps after the fake storage filled situation, i guess we won't be having much problems.
Well, lol, looks like that....
The short time I had with my Phone being over 128GB in size, it performed normal tasks well, no lag. But, can we record Videos/photos in that situation? As I just hard reset my phone, it will take some time to get filled up again. So I suppose, this time you'll have to test if we can record videos when our phones get well over their storage limits , provided you have the time off course :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One big issue nobody talks about or is completely unaware about is that everytime you download or store any media like movies, not only does the original space of the movie gets occupied, the media storage app in the phone magically increases the exact same amount of storage usage. You could verify it yourself by going into storage and select the view system apps option. So for example if you download a 2 gb movie, instead of going from 62-60gb storage space, it goes from 62-58gb storage space. This is very big issue which is also faced by many OnePlus devices. You cannot force stop the media storage app or delete any data or cache in it. The only temporary solutions which worked for some is deleting the recycle bin data, clearing unwanted data using files app and maybe resetting your device but the fact that this issue exists is a huge problem and is still unresolved for many users. I hope someone might be able to solve this issue or could at least help make realme aware about this issue.
    Are you sure?

View attachment 5650339

View attachment 5650341

Are you sure?

View attachment 5650339

View attachment 5650341

How much storage do you have left? Cause I just looked into and remembered that you don't have to worry too much about the media storage app taking your space cause I don't think it actually affects your space even though it shows in your settings.Screenshot_2022-07-01-23-45-14-39_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg
    My phone has a total internal space of 256gb(my phone doesn't have a sd slot also) and as you can see, I've only used 204gb of my space but adding all the storage shown below(especially the video and app storage) I've almost used 300gb space which is almost impossible.
    Screenshot_2022-07-01-23-50-43-46_e5d3893ac03954c6bb675ef2555b879b.jpg
    Another example is my Google files app which literally shows I've used 297gb even though my phone literally has a 256gb internal storage. So I think it's safe to assume that the media storage app doesn't actually cause much issue and you don't have to worry about it too much.
    Interesting!

Interesting!

Have a good day