• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question reason for partition not flashing in fastbootd

Search This thread

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
so I used fastboot to attempt to recover slot B on my phone (slot A is fine and boots) by dumping oos 11.2.7.7AA and manually flashing each and every partition, which goes fine except when switching over to fastbootd (via fastboot reboot fastboot) it will not flash odm, product, system_ext, or vendor, it reports that the partition cannot be found/no such file or directory. I mean I am attempting to flash those partitions so I do not understand how it cannot be found because I am flashing them. this is preventing me from restoring oos to slot B. does anyone know if I can force flash those partitions, or why fastbootd will not flash those four? I would be up and running if I could just flash those four so I can have a functional slot B.

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
I also tried this last night and had the same result on my slot b. I thought maybe it was because a file was consumed from my payload dump (since I had used the same files for slot a) but if you had the same issue then maybe slot b doesn't contain all partitions. Wish I knew how to check that though

Reactions: thirtythr33

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I also tried this last night and had the same result on my slot b. I thought maybe it was because a file was consumed from my payload dump (since I had used the same files for slot a) but if you had the same issue then maybe slot b doesn't contain all partitions. Wish I knew how to check that though
so you were unable to flash via fastbootd the product, system_ext, odm partitions either? interesting, but how did you get up and running then, did you fastboot flash all those files to slot A? I have been searching for a week for a solution to repair slot B, every forum, every thread, even asking in random telegram groups on how to fix this, but can't find anyone that knows what to do

Haunt3r

If you are in twrp what does it say when you try to mount the partition? I had this issue on my old oneplus 3t, ended up having to follow a guide where I changed the filesystem of the partition to one, then back. I'm not even sure if that's possible with the current version of twrp we have.

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
so you were unable to flash via fastbootd the product, system_ext, odm partitions either? interesting, but how did you get up and running then, did you fastboot flash all those files to slot A? I have been searching for a week for a solution to repair slot B, every forum, every thread, even asking in random telegram groups on how to fix this, but can't find anyone that knows what to do
First I had done this procedure to slot a. Figured I probably needed to do the same to slot b so I switched to slot b through TWRP, ran the script and yup product, system, system_ext, vendor and odm failed to flash. At that point I just switched back to slot a and breathed a sigh of relief that it didn't mess with that.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you are in twrp what does it say when you try to mount the partition? I had this issue on my old oneplus 3t, ended up having to follow a guide where I changed the filesystem of the partition to one, then back. I'm not even sure if that's possible with the current version of twrp we have.
yeah I thought of that too, so before flashing oos in twrp I tried to mount odm, product, and system_ext, but none will mount and it errors out saying unable to mount partition - not found. thing is I am only using twrp to flash (or attempting to) because I get 'installation failed' in local update in system.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
First I had done this procedure to slot a. Figured I probably needed to do the same to slot b so I switched to slot b through TWRP, ran the script and yup product, system, system_ext, vendor and odm failed to flash. At that point I just switched back to slot a and breathed a sigh of relief that it didn't mess with that.
yeah those partitions flash on slot A no issue, but it is slot B that I get the error as well. I hate giving up and not fixing things, that is why I am trying so hard. I just do not understand how my phone boots fine on slot A yet I do not have those partitions

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
yeah those partitions flash on slot A no issue, but it is slot B that I get the error as well. I hate giving up and not fixing things, that is why I am trying so hard. I just do not understand how my phone boots fine on slot A yet I do not have those partitions
I feel you, that's why I was trying to get it back up too. At this point I think it might be a rabbit hole for me. Until someone proves to me that slot b is actually a full mirror of slot a, I'm just going to assume it's a partial mirror. As it is, as long as I can boot into the bootloader I should always be able to recover slot a. So I'll just pretend b doesn't exist XD

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I feel you, that's why I was trying to get it back up too. At this point I think it might be a rabbit hole for me. Until someone proves to me that slot b is actually a full mirror of slot a, I'm just going to assume it's a partial mirror. As it is, as long as I can boot into the bootloader I should always be able to recover slot a. So I'll just pretend b doesn't exist XD
haha yeah I'm stuck with a functioning slot A and a borked B. wait so did you update your oos via fastboot? in other words, I am on 11.2.4.4AA on slot A, I wonder if I can fastboot flash 11.2.7.7AA just like an update would
ok so you ran the fastboot script on slot A. ok well that is what I'll have to try.

Last edited:

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
haha yeah I'm stuck with a functioning slot A and a borked B. wait so did you update your oos via fastboot? in other words, I am on 11.2.4.4AA on slot A, I wonder if I can fastboot flash 11.2.7.7AA just like an update would
I was coming from LOS so I definitely wasn't on an older version of OOS. I can't quite remember if I wiped beforehand; I think I must have because I don't think it would have worked otherwise. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flash 11.2.7.7AA on top.. but if its a functional rom it's probably safer to just run their updater instead.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I was coming from LOS so I definitely wasn't on an older version of OOS. I can't quite remember if I wiped beforehand; I think I must have because I don't think it would have worked otherwise. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flash 11.2.7.7AA on top.. but if its a functional rom it's probably safer to just run their updater instead.
yeah I am on stock oos 11.2.4.4AA, trying to update to 11.2.7.7AA, so even if I switch to slot B in twrp then try to flash oos it still errors out with missing those partitions, so essentially there is no way to update my oos/rom the normal way, twrp or local update, so I am stuck with fastboot flashing all the partition imgs in order to update. fml

Reactions: shmallow

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
yeah I am on stock oos 11.2.4.4AA, trying to update to 11.2.7.7AA, this is even if I switch to slot B in twrp then try to flash oos it still errors out with missing those partitions, so essentially there is no way to update my oos/rom the normal way, twrp or local update, so I am stuck with fastboot flashing all the partition imgs in order to update. fml
Good luck!! Hopefully it works out. I think the only risk is you may lose data, but just doing the same fastboot flash to slot a should work i think. I did it multiple times on a. the second time was because I was going to try a second time to flash onto slot b but forgot to change to slot b... that's when i realized i probably should stop going down that rabbit hole lol.

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Good luck!! Hopefully it works out. I think the only risk is you may lose data, but just doing the same fastboot flash to slot a should work i think. I did it multiple times on a. the second time was because I was going to try a second time to flash onto slot b but forgot to change to slot b... that's when i realized i probably should stop going down that rabbit hole lol.
yeah thanks man. the thing is I can prevent fastboot from wiping by just running the flash commands manually, and leaving out the fastboot -w command. but yeah this is a nightmare

yeah thanks man. the thing is I can prevent fastboot from wiping by just running the flash commands manually, and leaving out the fastboot -w command. but yeah this is a nightmare
If you are on oos use local update in system and do full update should fix your inactive slot. At least did for me on my 6t

Reactions: shmallow
yeah man if only I could, I get installation failed in local update, which is the reason why I then tried twrp, but that gives me the partition missing errors, so essentially I cannot flash/update oos/rom
Did you try multiple times I had it fail on the first time and go through on the 2nd. If that doesn't work look to the msm tool

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Did you try multiple times I had it fail on the first time and go through on the 2nd. If that doesn't work look to the msm tool
hm yeah I did, I attempt to local update with official full AA (11.2.7.7) and it gives me installation failed as soon as I start the process, it actually doesn't even progress at all. that is the most frustrating part (well, all of it is actually)
thing is I have been doing it this way since my 6T, and never had an issue.

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
hm yeah I did, I attempt to local update with official full AA (11.2.7.7) and it gives me installation failed as soon as I start the process, it actually doesn't even progress at all. that is the most frustrating part (well, all of it is actually)
thing is I have been doing it this way since my 6T, and never had an issue.
Did you try doing local update with 11.2.4.4AA? It might at least give you a solid 11.2.4.4AA b slot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah I am on stock oos 11.2.4.4AA, trying to update to 11.2.7.7AA, so even if I switch to slot B in twrp then try to flash oos it still errors out with missing those partitions, so essentially there is no way to update my oos/rom the normal way, twrp or local update, so I am stuck with fastboot flashing all the partition imgs in order to update. fml
    yeah I am on stock oos 11.2.4.4AA, trying to update to 11.2.7.7AA, this is even if I switch to slot B in twrp then try to flash oos it still errors out with missing those partitions, so essentially there is no way to update my oos/rom the normal way, twrp or local update, so I am stuck with fastboot flashing all the partition imgs in order to update. fml
    If you are on oos use local update in system and do full update should fix your inactive slot. At least did for me on my 6t