Reboot-bad battery issues for some-suspect bad update/app to be the cause

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hello guys

Being a long time member, and having rooted many of my devices before (Xoom, HTC Sensation etc) I have seen complaints like people are posting where some here are experiencing no battery/rebooting issues(like me) while others are experiencing the opposite. The first thing that any experienced developer here on XDA would tell you is that something went wrong when updating to the new .13 update, which is why some are experiencing problems, while others are not. It does not make sense that a good majority of us, have no issues...if the new .13 update was bad/faulty, then it would affect all of us, not just some. I would highly recommend that people with issues reformat/start from scratch, as this has helped others with similar issues. If this does not help, then unfortunately you just experience a bad update, which of course the only fix would be is to try to reinstall the update (easy to do if rooted) or wait for a new update from Asus.

Also, if your battery is dying quickly, check to see if it is warm to the touch even if you are not using it. If so, then this would definitely point to an app trying to do something in the background without your knowledge..maybe there is an app trying to sync but your wifi is off, or an app that you installed that does not play nice with ICS. I would suggest that those with problems can list their installed apps, and those without issues can see if they have any of the apps on their devices...this can help narrow the issue down and hopefully find the culprit.

Thanx

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello guys

Being a long time member, and having rooted many of my devices before (Xoom, HTC Sensation etc) I have seen complaints like people are posting where some here are experiencing no battery/rebooting issues(like me) while others are experiencing the opposite. The first thing that any experienced developer here on XDA would tell you is that something went wrong when updating to the new .13 update, which is why some are experiencing problems, while others are not. It does not make sense that a good majority of us, have no issues...if the new .13 update was bad/faulty, then it would affect all of us, not just some. I would highly recommend that people with issues reformat/start from scratch, as this has helped others with similar issues. If this does not help, then unfortunately you just experience a bad update, which of course the only fix would be is to try to reinstall the update (easy to do if rooted) or wait for a new update from Asus.

Also, if your battery is dying quickly, check to see if it is warm to the touch even if you are not using it. If so, then this would definitely point to an app trying to do something in the background without your knowledge..maybe there is an app trying to sync but your wifi is off, or an app that you installed that does not play nice with ICS. I would suggest that those with problems can list their installed apps, and those without issues can see if they have any of the apps on their devices...this can help narrow the issue down and hopefully find the culprit.

Thanx

All fair points, but many people suspect that there are at least two batches of Primes floating around with different hardware. After all, even before this update, there were groups of people that had freezes and reboots and others who had none.

Another telling point is that as far as I can tell, .13 update completely fixed Primes that were previously having sleep of death and reboot problems, and caused sleep of death, reboot and battery problems only on Primes that were previously working fine. This also suggests two different hardware sets to me (e.g., they tested the .13 update only/mostly on the set of Primes that had previous problems).

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
the bad update/ flash/ application as a culprit to all the Primes problems went out the window long ago this is all horse**** the problem is with the tegra3 in some way and different hardware variances in X Prime vs B Prime vs Z Prime etc....etc...etc...

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
All fair points, but many people suspect that there are at least two batches of Primes floating around with different hardware. After all, even before this update, there were groups of people that had freezes and reboots and others who had none.

Another telling point is that as far as I can tell, .13 update completely fixed Primes that were previously having sleep of death and reboot problems, and caused sleep of death, reboot and battery problems only on Primes that were previously working fine. This also suggests two different hardware sets to me (e.g., they tested the .13 update only/mostly on the set of Primes that had previous problems).

But that doesn't make sense either, because I had no rebooting issues before and no battery issues after updating to .13.

What we need here is hard data evidence from something such as a battery/hardware/resource monitor, which I have not seen from anyone with battery issues.

I don't have the issue so there is really nothing for me to monitor and gather data from.

tigertechmi

Apr 2, 2011
Merritt Island, Florida
Just had this issue pop up. Was using my Prime this morning on the charger, closed the screen (have the dock) pulled the plug put it in my bag for the day. Went to class, and then to work pulled it out at 6pm to check out a new note taking app and found my Prime to be HOT, like I left in in the car on a sunny day hot. Opened it up and it wouldn't come to life, held the on/off till it "shut off" then powered it back on. Battery life is 80% prime 14% dock. As requested my apps are as follows.

AdFree
Adobe Air
Adobe Flash
Amazon Kindle
AnTuTu Benchmark
B&N Nook
BatteryCalibration
Battleheart
Beautiful Widgets
BusyBox
CacheMate
Chrome Beta
Dolphin Browser HD
Dropbox
Elixer
Elixer Widget
Emit
Exactly
Galaxy Pack
GameBoid
GenPlusDroid
Google+
GPS Test
Hacker's Keyboard
LogMeIn
Mame4Droid
Muffin Knight
MX Video Player
N64oid
Netflix
PicSpeed
QR Droid
Rom Buddy
Rom Gripper
SD Speed Increase
SD Tools
Spirit
Stick it!
Stumbler Tablet
Titanium Backup/pro
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper
WiFi Analyzer

wow, didn't realize I had so many apps.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Just had this issue pop up. Was using my Prime this morning on the charger, closed the screen (have the dock) pulled the plug put it in my bag for the day. Went to class, and then to work pulled it out at 6pm to check out a new note taking app and found my Prime to be HOT, like I left in in the car on a sunny day hot. Opened it up and it wouldn't come to life, held the on/off till it "shut off" then powered it back on. Battery life is 80% prime 14% dock. As requested my apps are as follows.

AdFree
Adobe Air
Adobe Flash
Amazon Kindle
AnTuTu Benchmark
B&N Nook
BatteryCalibration
Battleheart
Beautiful Widgets
BusyBox
CacheMate
Chrome Beta
Dolphin Browser HD
Dropbox
Elixer
Elixer Widget
Emit
Exactly
Galaxy Pack
GameBoid
GenPlusDroid
Google+
GPS Test
Hacker's Keyboard
LogMeIn
Mame4Droid
Muffin Knight
MX Video Player
N64oid
Netflix
PicSpeed
QR Droid
Rom Buddy
Rom Gripper
SD Speed Increase
SD Tools
Spirit
Stick it!
Stumbler Tablet
Titanium Backup/pro
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper
WiFi Analyzer

That's not alot..lol. that's a lil bit. I have most of what you have n have no battery issues. Ill look closer n cross refermce with mines to let you know what I don't have. I have wayyyy to many apps to list.. probably over 200.

Crazy how my prime is never affected negatively from these updates. Ill check n see.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009

AdFree
Adobe Air
Adobe Flash
Amazon Kindle
AnTuTu Benchmark
B&N Nook
BatteryCalibration
Battleheart
Beautiful Widgets
BusyBox
CacheMate
Chrome Beta
Dolphin Browser HD
Dropbox
Elixer
Elixer Widget
Emit
Exactly
Galaxy Pack
GameBoid
GenPlusDroid
Google+
GPS Test
Hacker's Keyboard
LogMeIn
Mame4Droid
Muffin Knight
MX Video Player
N64oid
Netflix
PicSpeed
QR Droid
Rom Buddy
Rom Gripper
SD Speed Increase
SD Tools
Spirit
Stick it!
Stumbler Tablet
Titanium Backup/pro
Voodoo OTA RootKeeper
WiFi Analyzer

If your TFP is hot it could be an indication that the processor is running something and causing heat.

Try an app like SystemPanel to monitor resource usage. You may have to get the paid version in order to track app resource usage history

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

Here is another good website to find other apps to monitor usage and find out what exactly is using your battery.

http://android.appstorm.net/roundup...nitor-usage-stats-and-tweak-system-utilities/

unknown_owner

Nov 27, 2009
Have people experiencing the issues gotten the OTA or did they do the update via file where you system partition is formatted? Wonder if some file(s) didn't get updated properly via OTA but work fine via .zip update.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Have people experiencing the issues gotten the OTA or did they do the update via file where you system partition is formatted? Wonder if some file(s) didn't get updated properly via OTA but work fine via .zip update.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

That's actually a pretty good question! Along with posting a list of apps...thinking a widget is trying to sync constantly?? Also, have you guys checked your app intervals...too many apps syncing at a low interval will kill your battery

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
That's actually a pretty good question! Along with posting a list of apps...thinking a widget is trying to sync constantly?? Also, have you guys checked your app intervals...too many apps syncing at a low interval will kill your battery

Although I didn't suffer from issues here ln battery, after hearing about it, I went in and changed all intervals and cut off anything unnecessary. I especially made sure to raise email interval. As that's the thing that goes off the most. When it does it also causes the audio to go off constantly. So far I've been getting even better battery life than before in deep sleep. Actually very impressed how lil energy is used while in deep sleep. Before o took my screenshot and used tablet, it was in deep sleep for over 7-8hrs. And didn't budge from 100%. That's pretty impressive.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
So is your Prime working fine?

Sent from my HTC Legend using xda premium

Yes! My wifi signal strength matches my Moto Xoom, I haven't had one reboot..GPS is weak but I honestly didn't buy the tab for that (Ipad users don't have it, but who cares its not a navigation device) . My 1080p movie playback is flawless, colors are rich. This is truly a sexy, powerful beast of a tablet! I'm sure that we all can agree on that...I'm sure that Asus will work out the kinks that some are having soon.

Everywhere I go, even Ipad owners love the way this Tablet looks, especially the screen display

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Although I didn't suffer from issues here ln battery, after hearing about it, I went in and changed all intervals and cut off anything unnecessary. I especially made sure to raise email interval. As that's the thing that goes off the most. When it does it also causes the audio to go off constantly. So far I've been getting even better battery life than before in deep sleep. Actually very impressed how lil energy is used while in deep sleep. Before o took my screenshot and used tablet, it was in deep sleep for over 7-8hrs. And didn't budge from 100%. That's pretty impressive.

What's up guy, still spreading those chrome rumors?? :p:p
Yeah, I'm wondering if people have their update intervals low an the system is constantly trying to update apps in the background?? This would explain the warm/hot backs of the Primes by the batteries for some

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
The battery, sleep of death and random reboot IT IS CAUSE BY THE NEW OTA .13

i have factory restore 3 times no app install, same problem

i have push the OTA .13 MANUALLY TWICE same problem without installing app.

there's no way to get around this, only a new firmware fix or backflash to .11 only solution for us having problem with this new .13

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
The battery, sleep of death and random reboot IT IS CAUSE BY THE NEW OTA .13

i have factory restore 3 times no app install, same problem

i have push the OTA .13 MANUALLY TWICE same problem without installing app.

there's no way to get around this, only a new firmware fix or backflash to .11 only solution for us having problem with this new .13

So then why is it only affecting some, but not others. Lets rule out all possibilities an not pretend like we know things for certain when you don't

Screwedupsmitty

Nov 25, 2011
NE Ohio
So then why is it only affecting some, but not others. Lets rule out all possibilities an not pretend like we know things for certain when you don't

Why are any users experiencing the range of issues this tablet is presenting while others are not? We have 3-5 major bugs that are sporadically scattered across a wide range of serial numbers. I believe its downright obvious that TFPs have a variation in hardware quality and/or quality control issues. It's fracking embarrassing. To say that only some people are having this battery issue just continues to follow the trend that has been ASUS the past 3 months.

Blazeitup123

Jun 18, 2008
Saskatoon
Why are any users experiencing the range of issues this tablet is presenting while others are not? We have 3-5 major bugs that are sporadically scattered across a wide range of serial numbers. I believe its downright obvious that TFPs have a variation in hardware quality and/or quality control issues. It's fracking embarrassing. To say that only some people are having this battery issue just continues to follow the trend that has been ASUS the past 3 months.

Im guessing the reason for most of these problems is going from HC to ICS without a full wipe.

I have flashed thousands of roms on my devices since Windows Mobile 6.1 and when portion of people have issues they are told to check md5 sums and full wipe.

A little from column a and a little from column b perhaps.

This.

I had no sleep of death problem until the update, and it's ridiculous how fast it's burning through battery now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because not every transformer prime is exactly the same. Every Tegra 3 chip may behave differently near the borderline voltages and frequencies. Recently changes in .13 update may have moved the frequencies in one direction such that a batch of transformer primes that were crashing now do not crash but another batch of transformer primes that did not crash before now do. I think ASUS is still working out the best compromise that will keep all primes happy or they may even have to come up with multiple firmwares for different batches which I have seen some manufacturers do.

I know everyone is blaming Asus, but I think NVidia is actually more likely. I had a Toshiba Tegra 2 tablet and that had all sorts of problems in the early days due to NVidia driver issues... including the sleep of death.
    This is a new chipset and NVidia say the chip handles the switching between the idle CPU and quadcore. Also NVidia will be doing the Tegra 3 chip verification...
    How many other Tegra 3 devices are on the market?
    Even Gary said that they were waiting for NVidia to verify the new update...
    So don't blame Asus for all the battery and crashing woes... just for wifi and GPS ;)
    I still like the Prime and thank Asus for doing US testing first as my UK Prime is fine :)
    Guys, looks liek gary was able to replicate the battery issue thanx to those users who submitted their setups/apps list to him! See his post below:

Update - Thanks to a few members who provided detailed information about their setups, application installs and other items we were able to replicate the sleep/battery drain issues affecting several users. We have a new firmware image going through qualification testing now and will present this to Google shortly for approval. At this point, if the firmware passes qualification testing, we should be able to release it early next week or sooner.
    Guys, looks liek gary was able to replicate the battery issue thanx to those users who submitted their setups/apps list to him! See his post below:

Update - Thanks to a few members who provided detailed information about their setups, application installs and other items we were able to replicate the sleep/battery drain issues affecting several users. We have a new firmware image going through qualification testing now and will present this to Google shortly for approval. At this point, if the firmware passes qualification testing, we should be able to release it early next week or sooner.

Sounds good. I hope there are more benefits to update than just that though. Maybe putting the speed frequencies back to normal. More wifi n GPS driver improvements. Enable face unlock. Etc....

So people should be thanking all those who had battery issues and did testing and sent info to Asus. Instead of those just complaining and doing nothing to try to help situation. ASUS should release a monitoring tool to everyone so itcan send crash logs to them and speed up the bug fixes. We are the beta testers, per se..lol. hey, that's how Linux got started and turned into the great OS it is today. The developer had all the consumers as co-developers. People testing the stuff out and letting them know what bugs there are. More eyes on the problem the faster and better it can be addressed.