Receiving Honeycomb 3.1 updates-explained

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
It looks like changing the dates/time on our clocks have no effect on whether or not you WILL receive the update, just how fast you get it if you were already part of the group scheduled to receive it. It looks like the Google servers picks a list of Xooms that are next for the updates, and pushes those updates to each Xoom on that "list" when your device communicates with the google servers. So, in short, you get the update when your number is called...so changing the dates will not guarantee you an update, you HAVE to be on the next phase list. So those who changed their dates on the Xoom were already on the phase list, they just got their updates faster because they forced their Xooms to communicate with google's servers quicker by forcing an update check. Hope that makes sense guys

Reactions: slack04

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
no, but it just explains what your doing when your changing the time. If your not on the list you won't get it, but it does its check only so often so changing the date is a guarentee whether or not your on the list to get the update pushed. This way people can understand what theyre doing and not have to complain.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Is this supposed to make me feel better?

LOL..No, it doesn't make me feel better either, but at least you can get an idea of how it works. It would be nice to know how often and when does Google send out the updates from their servers, so we push our Xooms to check for updates during those times!

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
So ....
If we missed out on the update for whatever reason can we expect our number to be called again?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
no, but it just explains what your doing when your changing the time. If your not on the list you won't get it, but it does its check only so often so changing the date is a guarentee whether or not your on the list to get the update pushed. This way people can understand what theyre doing and not have to complain.

thanx for understanding what I was trying to say RadDude! Just informing you all how the updates work

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
So ....
If we missed out on the update for whatever reason can we expect our number to be called again?

you cant miss the update, your "Xoom ID" is stored in each phase, so if your group was sent the update and your Xoom was powered off, etc.. once you turn your Xoom on, the Xoom will check in with the Google server, and the server will automatically send you the update.

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
LOL..No, it doesn't make me feel better either, but at least you can get an idea of how it works. It would be nice to know how often and when does Google send out the updates from their servers, so we push our Xooms to check for updates during those times!
Well in 3.1 they added a check now ability for the system update. So they should let us know a little more about how they implement Over The Air updates. I'd imagine if the majority of the users on the list that is available checked as soon as it came out there might be an issue with server power or whatever. But I dont understand what is taking so long, and if more people buy xooms how long will it take next time?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Well in 3.1 they added a check now ability for the system update. So they should let us know a little more about how they implement Over The Air updates. I'd imagine if the majority of the users on the list that is available checked as soon as it came out there might be an issue with server power or whatever. But I dont understand what is taking so long, and if more people buy xooms how long will it take next time?

it wont cause any server issues whatsoever, if they wanted to push out the updates to everyone immediately, they can with a push of a button (literally) My guess is that they are just playing it safe in the event that something goes wrong with the updates, better to have a small group with problems instead of EVERY single Tablet owner. I was told that the the list of each group in every phase grows as long as there are no reported issues with the updates.

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
I don't know about you, but I haven't seen one thing about 3.1 screwing up anything, so push that button.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

Reactions: catttman

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I don't know about you, but I haven't seen one thing about 3.1 screwing up anything, so push that button.

LMAO!!! Seriously, I think Google likes torturing people! Maybe if we all sign disclaimers they will push the update to all tab owners at once...send me the form to sign Google!!

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
Like they're doing OTA updates to one up Apple pretty much, and it is just a fail unless your the one sitting there with 3.1... then again I did always have to wait a month or so with my iPhone for the jailbreak community to make the update... but like, this is for stock I'm waiting. I feel like I'm in court for a traffic ticket waiting for the judge to call my name.

clandest

Sep 11, 2009
there should be an option to update manually from your computer like apple does, or just wait for ota...

T0LLPHR33

Jan 7, 2011
I just got the OTA update last night...glad i didn't have to wait too long...:D

at 1st i was changing dates every hour or so...then just said hell with it when it comes it comes...lol

IndivisibleP

Dec 3, 2010
What I really really want to know is if having a rooted xoom and an overclock kernel excludes me from the update or makes me incompatible.
I have seen people say that as soon as they reverted to stock they received the update. I also know that rooted users cash manually install it through adb but I don't have experience with that and would rather do something easier.

In essence if I wait long enough, can I still get 3.1 OTA even though rooted, etc etc?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

dscribe

Sep 6, 2010
Camden, AR
What I really really want to know is if having a rooted xoom and an overclock kernel excludes me from the update or makes me incompatible.
I have seen people say that as soon as they reverted to stock they received the update. I also know that rooted users cash manually install it through adb but I don't have experience with that and would rather do something easier.

In essence if I wait long enough, can I still get 3.1 OTA even though rooted, etc etc?

If you are rooted, the OTA update will fail on install when it comes. You can either 1) Go back to stock and wait or, 2) Do the install methods available for rooted users in the Development section.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this supposed to make me feel better?
    It looks like changing the dates/time on our clocks have no effect on whether or not you WILL receive the update, just how fast you get it if you were already part of the group scheduled to receive it. It looks like the Google servers picks a list of Xooms that are next for the updates, and pushes those updates to each Xoom on that "list" when your device communicates with the google servers. So, in short, you get the update when your number is called...so changing the dates will not guarantee you an update, you HAVE to be on the next phase list. So those who changed their dates on the Xoom were already on the phase list, they just got their updates faster because they forced their Xooms to communicate with google's servers quicker by forcing an update check. Hope that makes sense guys

If you are rooted, the OTA update will fail on install when it comes. You can either 1) Go back to stock and wait or, 2) Do the install methods available for rooted users in the Development section.

thank you. Over to the development section it its then...