Receiving messages late / out of order on AT&T US

Search This thread

ul49

Jun 6, 2012
Just got a new z5c - I'm in the US on AT&T. This didn't seem to be a problem until last night, but now I'm having messages take between 5 minutes and 2 hours to come into my phone. People are still getting my sent messages instantly. Never experienced this problem on my old phone (2013 Moto X using same sim card), so I'm guessing it's not the carrier but the phone itself.

Also, restarting my phone seems to cause all the backed up messages to come in at once. Really annoying problem, wondering if anyone can help.

I switched my sim card back to my old phone and a bunch of messages came flooding in. Asked friends to test texting me with sim card in each phone - texts came instantly on old phone and way delayed on z5c. Already disabled iMessage. I've tried using Textra, the messenger app that comes with the phone, and Google messaging and all have the same outcome.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Just got a new z5c - I'm in the US on AT&T. This didn't seem to be a problem until last night, but now I'm having messages take between 5 minutes and 2 hours to come into my phone. People are still getting my sent messages instantly. Never experienced this problem on my old phone (2013 Moto X using same sim card), so I'm guessing it's not the carrier but the phone itself.

Also, restarting my phone seems to cause all the backed up messages to come in at once. Really annoying problem, wondering if anyone can help.

I switched my sim card back to my old phone and a bunch of messages came flooding in. Asked friends to test texting me with sim card in each phone - texts came instantly on old phone and way delayed on z5c. Already disabled iMessage. I've tried using Textra, the messenger app that comes with the phone, and Google messaging and all have the same outcome.
Odd. I'm on AT&T as well and have not experienced this. Are you sure your apn is correct?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I'm using the auto-APN detected by Textra:

http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
proxy.mobile.att.net
port 80

Is this different from yours? Also, wouldn't the APN only affect MMS, not SMS?
I set my apn in phone settings, not the app.

uploadfromtaptalk1445562922567.pnguploadfromtaptalk1445562932231.pnguploadfromtaptalk1445562940637.pnguploadfromtaptalk1445562946336.png

Mikednx

Jan 15, 2014
I had a similar problem, then I noticed the "queue background data" setting in power management was turned on by default. Turning that off fixed it for me.

italynstylion

Feb 3, 2014

Did you ever get this figured out? My wife is having a similar problem with her phone (MMS won't send) and I can't figure it out. Her LTE works fine and SMS messages send and receive like normal. But she can't send or receive picture MMS messages.

yubeie

Mar 15, 2011
I remember someone posting they had to modify the settings (don't remember if it's apn or something else) to allow ONLY ipv4 (not both or IPv6)..that resolved the issue.

ul49

Jun 6, 2012
I solved my issue by doing a factory reset - apparently there's a problem with importing messages from an older phone.

It doesn't sound like the same problem you're experiencing though.

Manuel7

Nov 28, 2015
Hi! I just wanna ask you guys if your z5 compact is displaying LTE on the signal bars on ATT. I have a z5 compact and i only get 4g. My device is registered as lte capable device.

Notchr302

Sep 29, 2014
All international versions display 4g instead of lte. So the 4g should indeed be lte speeds.