• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Recent Firmware Update Failed - Onn 7" Surf gen 2 10015685

Search This thread
Dec 6, 2020
Anybody else have the gen 2 7" Onn tablet from Walmart and get a recent firmware upgrade (within the past few weeks)?

I have two of these devices. I got them all set up and secured for my two young kids for Christmas presents. Between when I finished configuring them and Christmas morning, some kind of update was pushed out. Now every time I start them up, I get a notice to try to install a firmware upgrade. The kids can't bypass it easily and it has become quite the inconvenience. When I try to complete the update, it fails.

I'm running both the tablets with unlocked bootloaders and rooted with Magisk. I assume this is why the update fails. If it even is a real update. The link in the message goes to an RCA website that doesn't exist. I don't care about the update, but I hate that it tries to install it every time I boot up the tablets. I have disabled "Automatic System Updates" from Developer Options. I have the Google Play store disabling auto-updates as well. I don't want to re-lock the bootloader and have to then unlock it again, and re-install/configure the tablet from scratch again.

Anyone have any ideas on A) how to get the update to work or B) How to ignore the update and get it to stop bothering me? I'm happy to push a new system image if anyone has successfully figured out what can be updated.

Here's what is displayed on the screen and what the update process shows. My guess is the problem lies with the patched boot.img but I'm not ready to wipe it back to stock yet because I'm not good at pulling it back off. Luckily after failing to update I can reboot without trouble. Also I can dismiss this message easily, but my kids can't, and it seems to be unpredictable when it will actually pop up.

Screenshot_20201229-123713.png PXL_20201229_204112615.jpg

Last edited:

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
I am having the same issue, but only on one of my two tablets. I haven't been able to figure it out either. I have tried to download it and apply from recovery. I have tried sideloading from ADB. Every time it fails. I haven't figured out how to ignore it either. The only time it seems to pop up is when I first start the tablet. I just use the nav bar to close the update window and go on.

Dec 6, 2020
I am having the same issue, but only on one of my two tablets. I haven't been able to figure it out either. I have tried to download it and apply from recovery. I have tried sideloading from ADB. Every time it fails. I haven't figured out how to ignore it either. The only time it seems to pop up is when I first start the tablet. I just use the nav bar to close the update window and go on.
From the error messages I get I'm guessing it's a problem with the boot.img as it's patched by Magisk. I can reflash the stock boot.img but then I loose root. If it does update, I don't have root and am not skilled enough to pull the new updated boot.img without root.

If anyone out there has a good tutorial on doing that I'd be happy to try to get the new updated image files to flash.

chromoly

Jan 12, 2021
I'm having a related issue with the same tablet (10015685-E): I got the request to update the firmware, accepted, it appeared to install over the course of ~5 minutes, and after reboot, it is now stuck in an infinite loop in which it boots to the onn logo screen, goes black, and repeats. I assume it's crashing during boot.

I am able to enter recovery mode (see attached pic), but doing a cache wipe and factory reset from the recovery screen did not remedy this sad state of affairs.

I'm happy to load a stock ROM if that would restore functionality, but I don't have one. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210111_230758_HDR.jpg
    20210111_230758_HDR.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
Dec 6, 2020
I'm having a related issue with the same tablet (10015685-E): I got the request to update the firmware, accepted, it appeared to install over the course of ~5 minutes, and after reboot, it is now stuck in an infinite loop in which it boots to the onn logo screen, goes black, and repeats. I assume it's crashing during boot.

I am able to enter recovery mode (see attached pic), but doing a cache wipe and factory reset from the recovery screen did not remedy this sad state of affairs.

I'm happy to load a stock ROM if that would restore functionality, but I don't have one. Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Do you have the stock ROM? You can try to just flash the boot.img which isn't altered during a factory reset. It would reverse the update but it appears the update isn't working anyway.

Reactions: chromoly

chromoly

Jan 12, 2021
Thanks. I got your files and tried a couple of things, neither of which worked:
  1. I tried loading your stock image via ADB, but got "Signature verification failed. Error 21" after loading.
  2. I tried flashing just magisk_patched boot.img via ADB in fastboot mode, but got "Download is not allowed on locked devices".
So perhaps the device has to be unlocked before #2 will work. Any thoughts on #1?

Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2020
  1. I tried loading your stock image via ADB, but got "Signature verification failed. Error 21" after loading.
  2. I tried flashing just magisk_patched boot.img via ADB in fastboot mode, but got "Download is not allowed on locked devices".
So perhaps the device has to be unlocked before #2 will work. Any thoughts on #1?

Thanks again.
Did you try flashing the boot.img this way with the vbmeta.img first?

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

fastboot erase cache

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot reboot

chromoly

Jan 12, 2021
For all of those three fastboot commands (vbmeta, cache, boot), I get "not allowed on locked device" errors.

Also, do you have the stock boot.img, vs. "magisk_patched boot.img"?

I appreciate the help.

Code:
$ fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'vbmeta' (4 KB)...
FAILED (remote: Download is not allowed on locked devices)
finished. total time: 0.001s
$ fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (remote: Erase is not allowed on locked devices)
finished. total time: 0.000s
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
error: cannot load 'boot.img': No such file or directory
$ fastboot flash boot ../magisk_patched_boot.img
sending 'boot' (9152 KB)...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2010
Ok, here's one. I have the same tablet, not rooted, not modified, just stock. The update fails because it says update.zip isn't found after the download... Anyone have a way to fix? After the error, the whole tablet locks up and I have to force reboot...

PXL_20210113_171644761[1].jpgPXL_20210113_171956651[1].jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020
For all of those three fastboot commands (vbmeta, cache, boot), I get "not allowed on locked device" errors.

I appreciate the help.

Code:
$ fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
The stock boot.img should be in the STOCK ROM .zip file in my GDrive folder above. I reuploaded it just in case.

My guess is the bootloader is locked. Did you unlock it before? Try running

fastboot flashing unlock

Follow the prompts. If that worked then try flashing vbmeta and the other steps from above. That's my only idea right now.

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City

If you did not unlock your bootloader before all this happened, then I believe you will not be able to flash via fastboot commands. You can try to use the SP Flash Tool to install the earlier stock ROM. If you look through my thread from earlier, you will find a full dump of the original pre-update ROM
Try this post... Hang on, that was for the A variant. Look for a post by Fred, he dumped the entire ROM with scatter file(needed for SP tools to function properly) You may still need my super.img referenced below

Do not use the one from Tytydraco as it is for the A variant of the tablet and will cause some screwy issues(personal experience on my E variant) If you are looking for the super.img you can use the one I pulled from my tablet.

Dec 6, 2020
We're you ever able to find a work around? I may have fixed it, at least this works for me because I don't care about the update ever. I don't know your level of expertise with these. I'm definitiely just proficient enough to be dangerous. I can give more details than this if you need it.

You'll need a rooted tablet with Magisk and the Terminal Debloater (Terminal Emulator) module installed.

Start your Terminal Emulator app (I use Termux), type su (grant superuser if you haven't already) and start the Debloater by typing "debloat"

From the menu I choose 1 - System Apps and for me on the second menu #13 is Firmware Update

Choose that to uninstall, restart the tablet, and the popup error is gone!

This works for me for my 7" version. I have a 10" version too that doesn't have the same app, but it's called Wireless Update, and I uninstalled that using the same process successfully.

It's a great way to ge tall those pesky Walmart apps off too, PLUS I disabled the extra Walmart nav button (It didn't disappear but nothing happens when tapped, so it's one less thing to help my kids escape from when they get stuck in it).

Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: Okiera29

Okiera29

Apr 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
We're you ever able to find a work around? I may have fixed it, at least this works for me because I don't care about the update ever. I don't know your level of expertise with these. I'm definitiely just proficient enough to be dangerous. I can give more details than this if you need it.

You'll need a rooted tablet with Magisk and the Terminal Debloater (Terminal Emulator) module installed.

Start your Terminal Emulator app (I use Termux), type su (grant superuser if you haven't already) and start the Debloater by typing "debloat"

From the menu I choose 1 - System Apps and for me on the second menu #13 is Firmware Update

Choose that to uninstall, restart the tablet, and the popup error is gone!

This works for me for my 7" version. I have a 10" version too that doesn't have the same app, but it's called Wireless Update, and I uninstalled that using the same process successfully.

It's a great way to ge tall those pesky Walmart apps off too, PLUS I disabled the extra Walmart nav button (It didn't disappear but nothing happens when tapped, so it's one less thing to help my kids escape from when they get stuck in it).

Hope this helps a bit.
Worked like a champ on both tablets. I only use them for reading, light gaming and watching youtube in bed. So like you, the updates are not imperative for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do you have the stock ROM? You can try to just flash the boot.img which isn't altered during a factory reset. It would reverse the update but it appears the update isn't working anyway.
    I don't; I'd appreciate a link to the stock ROM or boot.img. Thanks.
    You can try my files from here

Thanks again.
    Did you try flashing the boot.img this way with the vbmeta.img first?

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

fastboot erase cache

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot reboot

I appreciate the help.

Code:
    $ fastboot erase cache
    erasing 'cache'...
    The stock boot.img should be in the STOCK ROM .zip file in my GDrive folder above. I reuploaded it just in case.

My guess is the bootloader is locked. Did you unlock it before? Try running

fastboot flashing unlock

Follow the prompts. If that worked then try flashing vbmeta and the other steps from above. That's my only idea right now.

If you did not unlock your bootloader before all this happened, then I believe you will not be able to flash via fastboot commands. You can try to use the SP Flash Tool to install the earlier stock ROM. If you look through my thread from earlier, you will find a full dump of the original pre-update ROM
    Try this post... Hang on, that was for the A variant. Look for a post by Fred, he dumped the entire ROM with scatter file(needed for SP tools to function properly) You may still need my super.img referenced below

Do not use the one from Tytydraco as it is for the A variant of the tablet and will cause some screwy issues(personal experience on my E variant) If you are looking for the super.img you can use the one I pulled from my tablet.