Question Recommendations for Assistant Apps to lock screen (Long press Home Button to lock screen gone with Oxygen OS 12)

Search This thread

traceless

Jun 4, 2014
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus Nord
Hey folks,

tl;dr: OOS 12 removed long press Home to lock device. Apps to replace Assistant function to allow it again disable fingerprint to unlock device.

I did some research on the long press feature of the Home Button (Assistant Button), becauase I wondered that this feature has been removed with Oxygen OS 12. Since I am trying to avoid wear to the physical buttons, I'm searching for an alternative.

Luckily there are apps that replace the Assistant feature to allow custom actions, including locking the device. I tested the following apps:

All of them disable the fingerprint feature on the lock screen. I already tried to disable PIN, password and delete all of my fingerprints as recommended on OP forums, but still I can't use the fingerprint to unlock the device. If I remove the device administration privilege, it's possible again, but I can't lock the device using the Home Button.

Do you have recommendations?

Zombnombs

Wait so basically you are looking for a feature to lock the device without pressing the lock button?

Settings > Home screen and lock screen > Enable double tap to lock

This let's you double tap a blank area on the home screen to lock device.

You can also check the lock screen shortcuts in the same settings page too.

traceless

Jun 4, 2014
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus Nord
Settings > Home screen and lock screen > Enable double tap to lock

Thanks for your reply, but exactly this feature has been removed with OOS 12. There are multiple threads about it on the OP forums.
I took two Screenshots of the settings, one with OP Nord 2 running OOS 12 and OP Nord running OOS 11.

Screenshot_2022-07-05-16-48-50-17_49b3d7ede8f829c04ca0dbc08dacb1ac.jpgScreenshot_20220705-164851.jpg

Root, install Magisk, install LSPosed, install GravityBox

I'd like to have a non-root solution.

Zombnombs

Thanks for your reply, but exactly this feature has been removed with OOS 12. There are multiple threads about it on the OP forums.

Hold to lock has been replaced by the "mass move icons" feature from ColorOS, and hence the feature has been changed to a double tap to lock feature and can be found as a toggle under Home screen and lock screen.

Holding on the home screen now allows you to mass select icons to bulk-move them, hence the hold to lock has been deprecated and replaced by double tap to lock.

Note you can even tap in between icons on the home screen to lock your device with this feature. These are pictures from OOS 12 depicting the replacement feature's location on OOS12

As your goal is to avoid wear and tear of the physical buttons this should be an adequate solution, no?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: traceless

traceless

Jun 4, 2014
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus Nord
Thanks a lot for your description, @Zombnombs! First of all: sorry, I've mistaken the software version - I'm currently on OOS 11, even on my Nord 2. I just searched for the issue and found posts online concerning OOS 12.

Indeed, double tap to lock is a functional alternative. I even use double tap to wake already. But what I'm curious about is, that my settings look very different from your screenshots. I uploaded a short video of it here. I'm on V11.3 right now.

But I tried to check the Launcher settings by holding the home screen background and select "Home settings". There I found the toggle for double tap to lock!

Thanks again for your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hold to lock has been replaced by the "mass move icons" feature from ColorOS, and hence the feature has been changed to a double tap to lock feature and can be found as a toggle under Home screen and lock screen.

Holding on the home screen now allows you to mass select icons to bulk-move them, hence the hold to lock has been deprecated and replaced by double tap to lock.

Note you can even tap in between icons on the home screen to lock your device with this feature. These are pictures from OOS 12 depicting the replacement feature's location on OOS12

As your goal is to avoid wear and tear of the physical buttons this should be an adequate solution, no?