Recover data from dead/faulty Nexus 5 (power button loop)

Search This thread

G8D

Sep 15, 2009
Hi

My Nexus 5 has entered into (what I believe to be) a hardware bootloop due to a faulty power button switch. I will look into getting it fixed locally but am currently wondering if there's a way to get the phone on (disabling the power button in some way?) in order that I can recover data from the built in storage.

I realise this is unlikely as it would involve some kind of invasive hardware trick.

On the basis that my phone may never turn back on, is there any way to extract data from the built in storage at all?

aciupapa

Feb 11, 2015
Puńsk
try smacking it into table below the power button. Seriously :D If it wont help, just pop off the back cover and using a knife or something "brake" the button, and insert the usb cable while holding volume down button,. then send "fastboot reboot" command. You are going to fix the button anyway, so breaking it wont matter

Mairo

Feb 28, 2013
I had same problem. I took phone apart and soaked button side in pure alcohol. And then some tapping and pushing the button and it started to work.

gauthier81

May 8, 2011
Chatham
The power button getting stuck has happened a few times to me. I literally just find a wood table and give a few stiff taps to the top corner of the phone (power button facing down). Always does the trick for me.

G8D

Sep 15, 2009
The power button getting stuck has happened a few times to me. I literally just find a wood table and give a few stiff taps to the top corner of the phone (power button facing down). Always does the trick for me.

Thanks, but I've had no luck with this 'solution'. I have tried tactically hitting my device but no luck. Have also smacked it down out of anger and no luck either.

I think there are two distinct power button failures. One where the button still works but sticks and can be unstuck (I had this on my first Nexus 5 and it was replaced by Google out of warranty) and another where the power button module fails and becomes 'always on' needing replaced.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone