Recover files from a Pixel 3 XL that cannot boot anymore

Search This thread

magrac

Jul 2, 2022
Hello everyone,

I come here because I have a big issue with my Pixel 3 XL.
It's up-to-date regarding the OTA updates i.e. I have the latest firmware installed.
I've never done anything special regarding "tweaking", such as enabling the developer mode i.e. the developer mode is unfortunately not enabled.

I was browsing the Internet and the phone suddenly rebooted unexpectedly. Then it was in a reboot loop. I pressed power and volume down buttons to enter the boot menu.
The boot loop stopped but I was unable to do anything to make my phone boot properly again. In the recovery menu, there is no option to wipe the cache partition.
There should be roughly 400 MB of free space on the phone. I was thinking that maybe this could have been the cause of the issue.

When the phone is off and not plugged to the charger, the percentage of battery decreases. When the charger is plugged, the percentage of battery does not decrease but does not increase either. It seems I cannot charge the phone anymore. Currently remains 13%.

When the phone is off and I press the power button, the Google logo shows up and the progress bar below has just time to appear before the phone vibrates and goes off.

I don't care much saving the phone, but it's extremely important to me to be able to recover the photos it contains (standard DCIM folder).
Most of what I found googleing so far is about wiping the cache partition, but there is no such option on my Pixel 3 XL.
Since the developer mode (USB debugging) was not enabled when the phone was working fine, I cannot use adb to pull files. I can sideload though. As far as I understood, in my situation it is not possible to enable the developer mode.
I've just heard about TeamWin Recovery Project, and still trying to figure out if this can help me.

Could someone please tell me how I can, at least, backup my photos?
Of course the best would be able to boot the phone normally, but really my first goal is to save my photos.
Is there a way to reflash the firmware with the same version, or another version, without losing data, just like what happens on a regular update e.g. when a new Android version is deployed?

Thank you.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I come here because I have a big issue with my Pixel 3 XL.
It's up-to-date regarding the OTA updates i.e. I have the latest firmware installed.
I've never done anything special regarding "tweaking", such as enabling the developer mode i.e. the developer mode is unfortunately not enabled.

I was browsing the Internet and the phone suddenly rebooted unexpectedly. Then it was in a reboot loop. I pressed power and volume down buttons to enter the boot menu.
The boot loop stopped but I was unable to do anything to make my phone boot properly again. In the recovery menu, there is no option to wipe the cache partition.
There should be roughly 400 MB of free space on the phone. I was thinking that maybe this could have been the cause of the issue.

When the phone is off and not plugged to the charger, the percentage of battery decreases. When the charger is plugged, the percentage of battery does not decrease but does not increase either. It seems I cannot charge the phone anymore. Currently remains 13%.

When the phone is off and I press the power button, the Google logo shows up and the progress bar below has just time to appear before the phone vibrates and goes off.

I don't care much saving the phone, but it's extremely important to me to be able to recover the photos it contains (standard DCIM folder).
Most of what I found googleing so far is about wiping the cache partition, but there is no such option on my Pixel 3 XL.
Since the developer mode (USB debugging) was not enabled when the phone was working fine, I cannot use adb to pull files. I can sideload though. As far as I understood, in my situation it is not possible to enable the developer mode.
I've just heard about TeamWin Recovery Project, and still trying to figure out if this can help me.

Could someone please tell me how I can, at least, backup my photos?
Of course the best would be able to boot the phone normally, but really my first goal is to save my photos.
Is there a way to reflash the firmware with the same version, or another version, without losing data, just like what happens on a regular update e.g. when a new Android version is deployed?

Thank you.

I don't think there is anything you can do without developer mode, but aren't your photos backed up to Google servers at https://photos.google.com?

magrac

Jul 2, 2022
I've just read that in order to install TWRP, I needed a unlocked bootloader, which is not my case. Unlocking the bootloader would cause my data to be wiped (for security reason it seems). Is that true?

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I've just read that in order to install TWRP, I needed a unlocked bootloader, which is not my case. Unlocking the bootloader would cause my data to be wiped (for security reason it seems). Is that true?
Unfortunately, that is correct. Unlocking the bootloader wipes the data. I know of nothing you can do.