[CLOSED] [No longer maintained] [RECOVERY] [11] [OFFICIAL] TeamWin Recovery Project (8T / Kebab) (2022-03-09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Thank you. Can we please pin this in the first page too?
Then what happens if system is not booting at all? Per instructions, you need to do a factory reset and reboot to rebuild data. Then you can restore your full backup afterwards.
How do I push apk's in /sytem_root/ in this? I've been trying to push AuroraServices.apk into /system_root/system/priv-app/ and it won't let me because error shows that it's 'Read-only file system.'

edit. did mount -o rw,remount /system_root to have write permissions but now it showing me, no space left wut
You'll have to use Magisk.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Magisk flashes to /system/
but my priv-app is in /system_root/system/priv-app
In return, it breaks my system when I flash using magisk. Not sure why, hence I'm manually pushing aurorastore to /system_root/
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When you use Magisk to do systemless installs, eg systemless hosts, it doesn't physically write to the system directories but uses overlays that make it seem that it's been written to system directories.
Typically you do this using a Magisk module.
How to do this is not something that belongs in the TWRP thread. If you don't know how to do what I'm suggesting then you need to read up on Magisk and its modules and look through the Magisk forum.

Aug 31, 2021
Goal: Create a Nandroid backup and restore successfully onto a 2nd identical device.

My understanding of a Nandroid back up is that it creates a gold image of your entire setup. If I have two identical phones, I can create a Nandroid backup /gold image of Phone A, then take the Nandroid backup / gold image and use the restore option in TWRP on the Phone B, in this case both phones are OnePlus 8T.

In my testing, the backup/restore feature on just one phone, possibly failed. To test, I created a Nandroid backup, rebooted, uninstalled an app, rebooted into recovery, and used the restore feature - selecting the Nandroid backup I created. The phone rebooted on its own and began the process - 1 hour later (give or take) the phone was still on the display that reads, "Starting Android". I restarted the phone and attempted the process to restore again, this time giving the phone 2 hours - which I think is far too long, but whatever, either way the same message is displayed.

Installation instructions followed was from Case II: Devices with A/B partition scheme

Device: OnePlus 8T (KB2003)
Android Version: 11
Magisk Version: f822ca5b (23001)
App: f822ca5b (23001) (21)
Package: com.topjohnwu.magisk
TWRP version: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

First issue to note:
The boot partitions - System and System Image do not exist in this version - or at least on my phone.

These are the the partitions listed in the Backup feature of my phone:
Data (excel. storage)
Boot
DTBO
EFS
Metadata
Modem
Persist
Recovery
VBMeta
Super (system, system_ext, vendor, product, odm)

The options I chose to back up and later restore were:
Data
Boot
EFS
Super

Under Options for Backup feature no boxes are checked
The list of items in Options:
Enable compression
Skip Digest generation during backup
Disable free space check before backup

So my question is:

What is the right Partitions to be selected and Options if applicable in order to create a Nandroid backup I can depend on and more importantly use the Nandroid back up from Phone A to restore / image Phone B?

Also - I assume I shouldn't be backing up EFS from Phone A and used on Phone B? I believe EFS is exclusive to the phone due to IMEI information amongst other unique information exclusive to each device?

Reactions: efx7n

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
Goal: Create a Nandroid backup and restore successfully onto a 2nd identical device.

My understanding of a Nandroid back up is that it creates a gold image of your entire setup. If I have two identical phones, I can create a Nandroid backup /gold image of Phone A, then take the Nandroid backup / gold image and use the restore option in TWRP on the Phone B, in this case both phones are OnePlus 8T.

In my testing, the backup/restore feature on just one phone, possibly failed. To test, I created a Nandroid backup, rebooted, uninstalled an app, rebooted into recovery, and used the restore feature - selecting the Nandroid backup I created. The phone rebooted on its own and began the process - 1 hour later (give or take) the phone was still on the display that reads, "Starting Android". I restarted the phone and attempted the process to restore again, this time giving the phone 2 hours - which I think is far too long, but whatever, either way the same message is displayed.

Installation instructions followed was from Case II: Devices with A/B partition scheme

First issue to note:
The boot partitions - System and System Image do not exist in this version - or at least on my phone.

Data (excel. storage)
Boot
DTBO
EFS
Metadata
Modem
Persist
Recovery
VBMeta

Data
Boot
EFS
Super

Enable compression

So my question is:

What is the right Partitions to be selected and Options if applicable in order to create a Nandroid backup I can depend on and more importantly use the Nandroid back up from Phone A to restore / image Phone B?

Also - I assume I shouldn't be backing up EFS from Phone A and used on Phone B? I believe EFS is exclusive to the phone due to IMEI information amongst other unique information exclusive to each device?

I have not tested this but what I understand from reading this thread you need to backup and restore
boot
super
DBTO
data

For a complete backup. You also must make sure that you restore to the same slot ( a or b) that you backup them up from, as some stuff in super is slot specific.

You probably also need to follow the extra steps for restoring data listed in the begining of this thread.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro

First issue to note:

Data (excel. storage)
Boot
DTBO
EFS
Metadata
Modem
Persist
Recovery
VBMeta

Data
Boot
EFS
Super

Enable compression

So my question is:

If you had read just the previous page you would have had a partial answer to your question.
Forget about how things used to work. The new virtual A/B devices, like the 8T, make things a lot more complicated.
1. You are correct about efs. It's specific to a given phone and should absolutely NOT be restored on another device.
2. See https://xdaforums.com/t/recovery-11...ect-8t-kebab-2021-09-04.4302449/post-85422489 for what you need to backup/restore.
3. You can only (I'm guessing here as I've not tried this) restore a "full" backup (as defined in the previous point) to another device if it is running the same firmware in the slot that is being restored.
4. I recommend you use the latest TWRP version as this is still an alpha release.

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
If you had read just the previous page you would have had a partial answer to your question.
Forget about how things used to work. The new virtual A/B devices, like the 8T, make things a lot more complicated.
1. You are correct about efs. It's specific to a given phone and should absolutely NOT be restored on another device.
2. See https://xdaforums.com/t/recovery-11...ect-8t-kebab-2021-09-04.4302449/post-85422489 for what you need to backup/restore.
3. You can only (I'm guessing here as I've not tried this) restore a "full" backup (as defined in the previous point) to another device if it is running the same firmware in the slot that is being restored.
4. I recommend you use the latest TWRP version as this is still an alpha release.
I just installed the new version - I was using the one from July - that one I noticed:

Super / Boot / etc. all would backup and restore just fine. Data would not. I suggest backing them up SEPARATELY.

Seems even on the new one, Data has some issues backing up. Same with multiple partitions. I'd suggest if you're trying to make a backup, just backup Data and nothing with it. Now I have no idea if a restore will work - it did not work with OOS 11.0.10.10.KB05AA on the prior version of TWRP (would not boot). And when I tried the new version, it didn't seem to finish a full data backup before exiting TWRP (it just... quit). I realize this is alpha, just a heads up you may want to use other alternatives for the time being for your data partition. But super and boot and such are all working fine. That's just my experience with it; I know somewhere in the thread it said OOS backups don't work. But Super does. Boot does. Recovery does... Now on an SD card it's kind of iffy. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it doesn't. You probably want to backup to the device and copy it over to the SD card later.

Still thanks much to the dev! The "core" parts work as they should. Have saved my a$$ several times (especially with the Super backup)...

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I just installed the new version - I was using the one from July - that one I noticed:

Super / Boot / etc. all would backup and restore just fine. Data would not. I suggest backing them up SEPARATELY.

Seems even on the new one, Data has some issues backing up. Same with multiple partitions. I'd suggest if you're trying to make a backup, just backup Data and nothing with it. Now I have no idea if a restore will work - it did not work with OOS 11.0.10.10.KB05AA on the prior version of TWRP (would not boot). And when I tried the new version, it didn't seem to finish a full data backup before exiting TWRP (it just... quit). I realize this is alpha, just a heads up you may want to use other alternatives for the time being for your data partition. But super and boot and such are all working fine. That's just my experience with it; I know somewhere in the thread it said OOS backups don't work. But Super does. Boot does. Recovery does... Now on an SD card it's kind of iffy. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it doesn't. You probably want to backup to the device and copy it over to the SD card later.

Still thanks much to the dev! The "core" parts work as they should. Have saved my a$$ several times (especially with the Super backup)...
I've also had data backups that start but then TWRP exits so I've never managed to grab logs.

I tend to backup system partitions separate to the data partition simply because the systems partitions only change on a system update, whereas I backup the data partition on a weekly basis.

Backup and restore works fine for OOS (my daily driver) and I've also tested Los and Havoc successfully. This has been the case since the very first version of this TWRP.

What doesn't work is flashing OOS, as indicated in the OP.

Reactions: Fumetsu_Guritto
Aug 31, 2021
I have not tested this but what I understand from reading this thread you need to backup and restore
boot
super
DBTO
data

For a complete backup. You also must make sure that you restore to the same slot ( a or b) that you backup them up from, as some stuff in super is slot specific.

You probably also need to follow the extra steps for restoring data listed in the begining of this thread.
Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

Remove any password/pin/pattern before doing this

Backup

In TWRP
  1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
  2. Reboot System

Restore
In TWRP
If you skip this step you will not be able to successfully start the system after restoring data
  1. Wipe>Factory Reset
  2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
    1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
    2. Reboot system
    Note:
    1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
    2. You will be presented with a blank screen or a toast message saying "com.android.phone keeps stopping."
      Tap "Close app", hold the Power button down to be presented with the option to (Lockdown), Power off, or Restart. Select Restart
    3. It may take a couple of restarts

^

I cannot have access to data partition on B slot.
I do factory reset on A partition and then switch to B and reboot to recovery, just like OP post tells
  • Format /data (I do factory reset, because otherwise I would lose all my rom flashing files and stuff)
  • Switch slot (from A to B)
  • Reboot to TWRP
  • Sideload/flash the ROM + installer. (This is where I cannot have access to my files anymore, they are not gone, but I cannot see them)
What I'm doing wrong?

Reactions: efx7n
Aug 31, 2021

To confirm

Select Partitions to back up: Super, Boot and DTBO
Then go back and select the Data partition to back up

When restoring do Super, Boot and DTBO first then go back and restore Data - or does it matter which one is restored first (Data vs Super, Boot, and DTBO)?

Aug 31, 2021
boot
super
DBTO
data

So I'm currently active on Slot B.
If I run a back up, it backs up Slot B. When I restore, so long as Slot B is still active, I can just restore without issue?

Or if I run the back up, will it be a back up of Slot A? So I'd have to switch to Slot A before beginning the restore process?

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
To confirm

Select Partitions to back up: Super, Boot and DTBO
Then go back and select the Data partition to back up

When restoring do Super, Boot and DTBO first then go back and restore Data - or does it matter which one is restored first (Data vs Super, Boot, and DTBO)?
Depends on what you're doing - like if your system gets all messed up after an update you'd likely restore super first. Then boot and dtbo. Then data (only if needed; after a failed system update you probably don't need to - I didn't at least on the July version). If your data backup works. I haven't tested on the new version if restore of a data backup works on OOS 11.0.10.10.KB05AA - maybe if you post what you're running others can advise you better. I know the thread says "not for OOS installs." But backing up / restoring it's great on the core things.

Remember, I haven't tried to restore a data backup yet on my OOS version (maybe someone here has). I just suggest restoring separately to avoid issues, just reboot back to recovery between restores, I think in the Advanced Menu but can't recall off the top of my head.

Reactions: Fumetsu_Guritto
Aug 31, 2021
Depends on what you're doing - like if your system gets all messed up after an update you'd likely restore super first. Then boot and dtbo. Then data (only if needed; after a failed system update you probably don't need to - I didn't at least on the July version). If your data backup works. I haven't tested on the new version if restore of a data backup works on OOS 11.0.10.10.KB05AA - maybe if you post what you're running others can advise you better. I know the thread says "not for OOS installs." But backing up / restoring it's great on the core things.

Remember, I haven't tried to restore a data backup yet on my OOS version (maybe someone here has). I just suggest restoring separately to avoid issues, just reboot back to recovery between restores, I think in the Advanced Menu but can't recall off the top of my head.
Thank you!!!

Followed your instructions and it restored perfectly. BTW I'm on Lineage 18.1 for microG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
    # To temporarily boot it
    fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
    Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
    @bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
    @Lossyx
    @osm0sis
    @Nebrassy
    @Qnorsten

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
    Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:

If you need a black themed TWRP (same TWRP as the above, but themed black), you can go to this thread:
    FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
    • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
    • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
    • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
    • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system
    • For custom ROM to OOS - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk. Reboot to system.

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.
    Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

TL;DR for data backup on custom ROMs:

1. Backup /data (copy the backup folder to PC if you will format /data).
    2. Flash the ROM and boot it once to system.
    3. Restore /data (copy the backup folder back from PC if you formatted in step 1) and boot into system.
    4. If you find any issues like missing navigation bar or blank screen or something, just do a normal reboot again to system.

System Backup and Restore
    The "system" partitions on the OnePlus 8T are:
    • Boot
    • DTBO
    • Super which contains the logical system, system_ext, odm, product, and vendor partitions
    Just backup and restore these partitions.
    Do NOT backup/restore any of the logical partitions individually.

Data Backup
    1. Make sure USB debugging is enabled
    2. You do NOT need to remove your password

In TWRP
    1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
    2. Reboot System

Restore
    Remove the current password before starting the restore process by Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: Select Swipe (if prompted tap on "Yes, remove")
    If you don't do this, the system will not reboot properly after restoring.

This will also remove your fingerprint data and your lockscreen (encryption) password (you won't be prompted for a password in TWRP or when you restart the system)

In TWRP
    1. Wipe>Factory Reset
    2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
    1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
    2. Remove the SIM card. If you don't do this the system won't boot properly.
    3. Reboot system, making sure the phone is not connected to a PC

Notes:
    1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
    2. You will be presented with a blank screen
      • Connect the phone to a PC. You should be able to see the phone using adb devices
      • Disconnect the phone from the PC
    3. Hold the Power button down and select Restart

In System
    1. Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: set your password
    2. Insert the SIM card
    Note: Your fingerprints will have been restored because the backup was taken with the password set.
    New build released - 20210726 (Kebab only)

Changelog:

1. Removed 9R support
    2. Fixed the TWRP screen overlapping with the notch
    3. Various mount errors while flashing ROMs should be gone now (atleast my testers think so)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    5. Removed AOSPA kernel, and updated to latest LOS kernel
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

As always, links are updated in the OP too.
    Hello fellow 8T users: It's the end of the road for me, being the TWRP maintainer for 8T. I no longer possess 8T with me and have got a new device.

Reasons for this were basically just one:- Personal life got in the way, hard.

Thank you everyone for all the support you did, especially @BillGoss , @osm0sis and @bigbiff

If anyone else wanna step up and continue maintaining this device, please feel free to ping me or @bigbiff

Ciao!

To the mods: Please keep this thread open, until a new maintainer is found.