• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] [11] [ALPHA] TeamWin Recovery Project (8T / Kebab) (2021-09-04)

Search This thread

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
Yes it will be overwritten with the stock recovery, so you would need to flash TWRP again.
If you are using magisk you can also use this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ices-platforms.2239421/page-102#post-77770683 module by @osm0sis
Thank you!

Yes, I plan on installing Magisk. I know, this is not directly the topic of this thread but still related to my question:
Lets say I installed TWRP and Magisk and there is an OTA available and I want to stay rooted: Do I need to flash the original boot.img before flashing the OTA or not? (And after the OTA I would reinstall Magisk in the manager app)

Some guides do say to flash the original boot.img, some not. I don't understand in which cases this needs to be done?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Thank you!

Yes, I plan on installing Magisk. I know, this is not directly the topic of this thread but still related to my question:
Lets say I installed TWRP and Magisk and there is an OTA available and I want to stay rooted: Do I need to flash the original boot.img before flashing the OTA or not? (And after the OTA I would reinstall Magisk in the manager app)

Some guides do say to flash the original boot.img, some not. I don't understand in which cases this needs to be done?
An OOS OTA incremental update checks for the presence of stock versions of both boot and recovery before it runs.
This means that if you're using Magisk you have to restore the stock boot image before starting the update. And if you're using TWRP you have to restore the stock recovery image before starting the update.

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012
Thank you!

An OOS OTA incremental update checks for the presence of stock versions of both boot and recovery before it runs.
This means that if you're using Magisk you have to restore the stock boot image before starting the update. And if you're using TWRP you have to restore the stock recovery image before starting the update.

I think this is only true if you run the global version (and possible the T-Mobile version) where they only provide incremental zips over OTA. It has been a while since I used the stock system update (mostly use oxygen updater to download my OTA). At least for my phone running EU rom the system update will show a prompt like "root detected download full OTA zip" and then it will update normally.
After install before reboot , I just flash the TWRP retention module in magisk manager and then onstall magisk to inactive slot from magisk manager. No need go restore any stock boot or recovery.

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks @BillGoss and @Qnorsten

I have the EU version. So if the updater offers the full OTA, I will just do what Qnorsten said and not flash the original boot/recovery beforehand.

However, just to be sure I would like to backup my original boot and recovery. How do I do that?

Edit: I think I found how to backup boot.img:
Code:
fastboot getvar all

fastboot boot recovery.img
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
exit
adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img boot_a.img
adb reboot

The first command is to identify the active slot (either a or b). The code above is for slot a. If it is b, adapt the commands from a to b.

Anyone knows how to backup the OOS recovery?

Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Thanks @BillGoss and @Qnorsten

I have the EU version. So if the updater offers the full OTA, I will just do what Qnorsten said and not flash the original boot/recovery beforehand.

However, just to be sure I would like to backup my original boot and recovery. How do I do that?

Edit: I think I found how to backup boot.img:
Code:
fastboot getvar all

fastboot boot recovery.img
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
exit
adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img boot_a.img
adb reboot

The first command is to identify the active slot (either a or b). The code above is for slot a. If it is b, adapt the commands from a to b.

Anyone knows how to backup the OOS recovery?
Replace "boot" with "recovery".

And this is now well off-topic for TWRP so, if you need more help, ask in the Q&A forum.

Reactions: haitower

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
Replace "boot" with "recovery".

And this is now well off-topic for TWRP so, if you need more help, ask in the Q&A forum.
Thanks, and yes, probably. But I think it maybe would be a good idea to include that in the OP. So that people have a backup of their original recovery before modifying it.

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
Is this TWRP alpha version already able to backup & restore other partitions (system/boot/recovery) or only the data partition?

I just wonder because in the OP's third post it says:
Backup: Select only the Data partition.

Background: I want to try out LineageOS and I want to backup my OOS system before.

Fif_

Jun 5, 2013
Google Nexus 10
Google Nexus 4
Is this TWRP alpha version already able to backup & restore other partitions (system/boot/recovery) or only the data partition?

Background: I want to try out LineageOS and I want to backup my OOS system before.
You can go back to OOS with fastboot and a copy of the OOS zip file:

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
You can go back to OOS with fastboot and a copy of the OOS zip file:
Thanks a lot! That is a nice to have option. However, if possible, I'd prefer TWRP backup since it also restores my settings and apps ;)

Reactions: Lz3807775t

Qnorsten

Mar 14, 2012

There are posts earlier in the thread describing how to backup and restore other partitions.
If I recall correctly.
To restore not only data you need to backup and restore
Super
Boot
DBTO
And you need to make sure you restore it to the same slot (a or b) that it was backuped from, as some super part of the super partition is slot specific.
That will restore most but not all of your settings.
Read further back in the thread and someone have detailed everything.

I have yet to try a restore myself.

Reactions: Lz3807775t

haitower

Jun 27, 2017
There are posts earlier in the thread describing how to backup and restore other partitions.
If I recall correctly.
To restore not only data you need to backup and restore
Super
Boot
DBTO
And you need to make sure you restore it to the same slot (a or b) that it was backuped from, as some super part of the super partition is slot specific.
That will restore most but not all of your settings.
Read further back in the thread and someone have detailed everything.

I have yet to try a restore myself.
Uhh, that sounds nasty.. Things were so much easier with the Nexus 5 and the OP5T..

For a novice it is such a big effort nowadays to backup and try out new ROMs.

I think I'll just stay with OOS then. However: thanks for your explanation!

tom65824

Aug 3, 2018
short question...
when i install a new version of lineage via updater it overwrites the TWRP and reinstalls the ONEPLUS recovery.
can i prevent this ?

thanks

tom65824

Aug 3, 2018
Settings > System > Advanced > Updater > Preferences > Update recovery.
Make sure that's unchecked.

hi FiF_ Thanks... i´ve found it !!

...BUT... if i want to disable the switch for "update recovery: ---> It pops up: "It is not possible to disable the updates from Lineage -Recovery on this device !"

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Nexus 7 (2013)
I think Lineage disabled changing that toggle on all A/B devices, but really they should have only done it on boot-as-recovery devices, since recovery is in the boot image so can't be excluded there... But definitely should be able to change it on recovery_a/_b like we have; go mention it to your Lineage maintainer. (y)

Reactions: theincognito

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
I think Lineage disabled changing that toggle on all A/B devices, but really they should have only done it on boot-as-recovery devices, since recovery is in the boot image so can't be excluded there... But definitely should be able to change it on recovery_a/_b like we have; go mention it to your Lineage maintainer. (y)
I am assuming this is done somewhere in the device tree? How would one go about this? Sorry, this may be a little off-topic.

gossf

Nov 9, 2011
Question about restoring TWRP backups: Given that you have to remove your lock code before restoring, what are your options if you're stuck in a bootloop (and hence unable to get into the OS to remove your lock) and trying to restore a backup to fix it? Do you just have to MSM or fastboot a bootable OS back on before restoring?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

I am just trying to undersand at which step of the flashing instructions the "copy-partitions.zip" should be flashed.
    Is it the first step you do to flash the copy-partitions before switching slot and reboot to TWRP (so I guess those steps can be skipped when havening flashed the copy-partitons or?)

Also regarding the "format data" it seems there are different informations on when that should be done.
    In the OP it is the first step when coming from OOS to custom ROM but in the post you posted here it is mentioned like "do the format after flashing and rebooting to TWRP" .
    So I wonder which step is the correct one to do the format data and flash the copy-partitons from flashing from OOS to custom ROM.

I thought like this perhaps?
    But I guess the format data should be after point 6. or, and is it so that 3. and 4. can be skipped when flashing the copy-partitons ?

1. Format data
    2. Flash copy_partitions.zip
    3. switch slot
    4. reboot to TWRP
    5. sideload/flash ROM and TWRP Installer zip
    6. reboot to TWRP
    7. Flash Magisk
    8. Flash Gapps
    9. Reboot to System

Thanks a lot.
    Things to know about A/B devices:
    1. The slots have different versions of firmware/software because an update only updates one of the slots. This means that it's very likely that your system won't boot if you just change slots.
    2. When you install an update or a new rom, the changes are always made to the inactive slot.

So, if you're currently on OOS and install a custom rom, then it gets installed to the inactive slot which has firmware/software belonging to the previous version of OOS, which is not what you want.

There are two ways to avoid this problem of installing the new rom on outdated firmware/software:
    1. Sync the inactive slot to be identical to the current working slot before starting the installation. Copy-partitions.zip does this.
    2. Boot to the inactive slot and then install new new rom. This way the rom gets installed on the slot that has the latest version of the firmware/software.

The OP uses the 2nd method, but I prefer the first. In fact, I sync my active slot to the inactive one after every OOS update once I know all is good and I'm not going to revert to the previous version.
    Side note: if you've synced the slots then your system will successfully boot on either slot!

As to the order of "format then flash" or "flash then format", both achieve the same result. But I prefer to do everything on my phone without using a PC (where possible) or OTG. Since all the installation files on the phone will be gone after a format, I prefer to do the installs first and then do the format.
    The fact that currently (version 210904 of TWRP) the data partition isn't set up properly after a format until after the system is rebooted, also means you can't push files to the phone before the system reboot and must use sideloading if installing stuff. Hence my strong preference for "flash then format" at this point.
    If you're going to start building and testing Orange Fox then I strongly recommend you start a new thread. This thread is specifically for TWRP.
    Nice I'm new to this device I moved from Redmi note 9 pro to the 8t and really like the device but flashing anything is a pain on it lol from what I see it's like my essential phone (r.i.p) so i have not unlocked my bootloader yet the thing is the info for this device is all over the place one saying it's a/b partition and others saying it's dynamic partition and then saying it has its own recovery partition but always have to flash twrp installer zip which doesn't make sense if it has its own recovery partition but either way orangefox will make it easier for sure wish the best for this.
    Yes the Oneplus 8t has dynamic partitions and is using virtual a/b partition as far as I understood that and it has an own recovery partition so TWRP/recovery will have to be flashed to the recovery partition.
    Yeah it's a safe guess, I feel dumb for not even considering it ahaha,
    can confirm at least sideloading works with A12!
    Yeah it's a safe guess, I feel dumb for not even considering it ahaha,
    can confirm at least sideloading works with A12!
    A12 decryption may yet come: https://gerrit.twrp.me/c/android_bootable_recovery/+/4621

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
    # To temporarily boot it
    fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
    Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
    @bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
    @Lossyx
    @osm0sis
    @Nebrassy

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
    Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:
    2021-09-04

IMG: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664800911
    Installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664801008
    FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• OOS/H2OS flashing is broken.
    • If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
    • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
    • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
    • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
    • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.
    New build released - 20210726 (Kebab only)

Changelog:

1. Removed 9R support
    2. Fixed the TWRP screen overlapping with the notch
    3. Various mount errors while flashing ROMs should be gone now (atleast my testers think so)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    5. Removed AOSPA kernel, and updated to latest LOS kernel
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

As always, links are updated in the OP too.
    Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

Remove any password/pin/pattern before doing this

Backup

In TWRP
    1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
    2. Reboot System

Restore
    In TWRP
    If you skip this step you will not be able to successfully start the system after restoring data
    1. Wipe>Factory Reset
    2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
      1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
      2. Reboot system

Note:
      1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
      2. You will be presented with a blank screen or a toast message saying "com.android.phone keeps stopping."
        Tap "Close app", hold the Power button down to be presented with the option to (Lockdown), Power off, or Restart. Select Restart
      3. It may take a couple of restarts

If you want to backup and restore fingerprints too, follow the guide in the attached file
    New build released - 20210904

Changelog:
    1. Removed repack tools
    2. Allowed OpenAES encrypted backups (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    3. Added logical flag for relevant partitions (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha

NOTE for 9R users: This build SHOULD work with 9R - you SHOULD be able to do everything except flashing OOS. This is experimental. Use it at your own risk.

As always, links are updated in the OP too.