• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] [11] [ALPHA] TeamWin Recovery Project (8T / Kebab) (2021-09-04)

Search This thread

Ryano89

May 6, 2011
Indiana
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
Then what's this??? This guy said he was stock and flashed TWRP via Franco Kernel Manager. I take it "stock" means OOS... Now that's how I interpreted it anyhow.
I read this to mean that he was on OOS, successfully flashed TWRP through FKM, and then flashed a kernel through TWRP. It's not completely clear, but I'm not sure that he was saying he actually flashed OOS through TWRP. Maybe 8m reading it wrong though

Last edited:

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
Google Pixel 2
OnePlus 8T
Hell I just booted it, encryption works, data backup works, I'm on OOS... The real test is to attempt to restore it... Actually I just flashed it to recovery from fastboot, it works! Although attempting to flash the incremental update fails; it doesn't appear to have the proper partition layout as it can't find system_root on slot B (I'm on slot A, TWRP attempts to flash to the inactive slot B, just where the update is supposed to go anyway)... But I found a Payload dumper https://github.com/vm03/payload_dumper that supports incremental updates so more to come there...

Last edited:
Reactions: XDAMaxe and Ryano89

jitnyc

Jul 4, 2010
From my part, when I said "Can I mount the /data partition and decrypt the files?" I was referring to TWRP's ability to ask for a password and then use that password decrypt /data/data/*, /data/media/* etc. I would assume from the answers that this is possible.

I asked it because I thought I had read in another thread somewhere that Oneplus used a non-standard encryption scheme for 8T and there were other users speculating that because of this, there would never be a TWRP for this device. I think theincognito or the other devs and senior members would have to comment further. Regarding mounting Android system partitions, I think you can access these files in adb shell with su, I'm not sure if MTP exposes anything outside of Internal Storage although I doubt it.

You mentioned that "it would say there is NO OS installed". Do you see this message just when using TWRP or when the phone is booting?

Also, does this phone display a orange warning message when booting about how the device can't be checked for corruption due to the unlocked bootloader?

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, this is welcome news. Having a full featured recovery option like TWRP really is a hig asset for a device.
Ok so first off, I prob should have known what you meant regarding decryption... but its been a while since using TWRP I guess. All good on that so to answer your follow up questions:

- regarding the "NO OS INSTALLED", this was specific to TWRP and from what I read it was a known bug. However, this is no longer an issue with me, I think it was only in the very first release of TWRP and not the current one. But since I didn't know who has what, just trying to prevent anyone from resintalling 10x cause thats what i did before I just hit reboot and saw that it worked.

- The orange warning sign is due to your bootloader being unlocked and yes it does say it on all oneplus devices... its actually cut off by the camera lens - so it really looks corrupted lol

hagar006

Aug 18, 2010
Any reason this recovery shouldn't work on op 8? I'm a flashaholic so I'm going to try of course.. just thought I'd ask the question first!
Excellent work guys!

XDAMaxe

Oct 15, 2012
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hell I just booted it, encryption works, data backup works, I'm on OOS... The real test is to attempt to restore it... Actually I just flashed it to recovery from fastboot, it works! Although attempting to flash the incremental update fails; it doesn't appear to have the proper partition layout as it can't find system_root on slot B (I'm on slot A, TWRP attempts to flash to the inactive slot B, just where the update is supposed to go anyway)... But I found a Payload dumper https://github.com/vm03/payload_dumper that supports incremental updates so more to come there...
So to sum it up:
With the current TWRP for 8T model
1. DATA partition is - as stated - backupable, incl. fingerprint backup and restore.
2. A full nandroid (DATA and SUPER partitions like usually) is - as far as I experienced - possible. But restoring failed.

My device has latest OOS with working magisk (patched boot.img via fastboot) and installed twrp.
Elemental-X kernel works perfect (flashed within EXKM).

Has anyone a detailed instruction for successfully restoring everything (nandroid) coming from a factory resetted device ?
Have I overlooked/done wrong something ?

Everytime I want to restore DATA and SUPER partitions the phone gets stuck after boot animation.
Only solution was EDL tool (hardbrick tool) to get into life - which means the whole installing, BL-unlock and rooting process :-(
Maybe I mixed up something with Slot A/B ? Never had a phone with A/B so I would be thankful for any hint.

Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
So to sum it up:
With the current TWRP for 8T modell
1. DATA partition is - as stated - backupable, incl. fingerprint backup and restore.
2. A full nandroid (DATA and SUPER partitions like usually) is - as far as I experienced - possible. But restoring failed.

My device has latest OOS with working magisk (patched boot.img via fastboot) and installed twrp.
Elemental-X kernel works perfect (flashed within EXKM).

Has anyone a detailed instruction for successfully restoring everything (nandroid) coming from a factory resetted device ?
Have I overlooked/done wrong something ?

Everytime I want to restore DATA and SUPER partitions the phone gets stuck after boot animation.
Only solution was EDL tool (hardbrick tool) to get into life - which means the whole installing, BL-unlock and rooting process :-(
Maybe I mixed up something with Slot A/B ? Never had a phone with A/B so I would be thankful for any hint.
A "full" backup requires data, boot, dtbo, and super.
And the process for restoring is documented in the OP's posts (there's more than one) at the start of the thread.
Note: you must restore to the same slot you backed up.

XDAMaxe

Oct 15, 2012
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8 Pro
A "full" backup requires data, boot, dtbo, and super.
And the process for restoring is documented in the OP's posts (there's more than one) at the start of the thread.
Note: you must restore to the same slot you backed up.
ah, I see, thanks a lot.

Yes, I saw that tutorial in the first posts of OP but it only concerns the data backup and another file includes instructions for the fingerprint backup and restore.

The attached file (unchanged from OP post) for fingerprint backup and restore is imho quite nice to fill in the missing steps.
May I ask if you can provide a step by step guide to make a full nandroid resp. the all-I-need-instructions to fully restore a former backup state?
Would you do that ?
I think because of the A/B slots it is not easy for those coming from former twrps not fully understanding what is going on with that A/B-slots and how to access them and how to check where to backup and where to copy the files - like me :unsure:*confused*

Attachments

• Backup data with FP.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
I am use oxygen os. But after install twrp i can't delete file from system-ext
system_ext is a read only partition, this is intended on OxygenOS. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. Besides, TWRP does not mount logical partitions R/W as far as I know, even if the partition is writable.
So there is nothing to fix.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
ah, I see, thanks a lot.

Yes, I saw that tutorial in the first posts of OP but it only concerns the data backup and another file includes instructions for the fingerprint backup and restore.

The attached file (unchanged from OP post) for fingerprint backup and restore is imho quite nice to fill in the missing steps.
May I ask if you can provide a step by step guide to make a full nandroid resp. the all-I-need-instructions to fully restore a former backup state?
Would you do that ?
I think because of the A/B slots it is not easy for those coming from former twrps not fully understanding what is going on with that A/B-slots and how to access them and how to check where to backup and where to copy the files - like me :unsure:*confused*
The data backup/restore process is not something you could work out other than by testing. That's why it's documented.

Backing up the system side is far easier and can be worked out by understanding what gets flashed in a custom ROM and understanding how virtual A/B partitions in super work. So it doesn't really warrant a how-to other than what I told you:
- backup boot, dtbo, and super.
- restore them to the same slot you backed them up from (because the super content is slot-specific).

XDAMaxe

Oct 15, 2012
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8 Pro
The data backup/restore process is not something you could work out other than by testing. That's why it's documented.

Backing up the system side is far easier and can be worked out by understanding what gets flashed in a custom ROM and understanding how virtual A/B partitions in super work. So it doesn't really warrant a how-to other than what I told you:
- backup boot, dtbo, and super.
- restore them to the same slot you backed them up from (because the super content is slot-specific).
alright, thanks for the heads up.
btw: did you already successfully restored a full system with before backuped data, boot, dtbo and super in your 8T with latest twrp (as of 26th July 2021) ? any special issues ?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
alright, thanks for the heads up.
btw: did you already successfully restored a full system with before backuped data, boot, dtbo and super in your 8T with latest twrp (as of 26th July 2021) ? any special issues ?
Haven't needed to restore whilst using 210726, but I've done it numerous times with the previous two versions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build released - 20210904

Changelog:
    1. Removed repack tools
    2. Allowed OpenAES encrypted backups (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    3. Added logical flag for relevant partitions (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha

NOTE for 9R users: This build SHOULD work with 9R - you SHOULD be able to do everything except flashing OOS. This is experimental. Use it at your own risk.

As always, links are updated in the OP too.
    Magisk flashes to /system/
    but my priv-app is in /system_root/system/priv-app
    In return, it breaks my system when I flash using magisk. Not sure why, hence I'm manually pushing aurorastore to /system_root/
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. When you use Magisk to do systemless installs, eg systemless hosts, it doesn't physically write to the system directories but uses overlays that make it seem that it's been written to system directories.
    Typically you do this using a Magisk module.
    How to do this is not something that belongs in the TWRP thread. If you don't know how to do what I'm suggesting then you need to read up on Magisk and its modules and look through the Magisk forum.
    Any solutions sir. I can't update OTA

View attachment 5398063
    You need to restore the original recovery
    (and/or boot) partition to pass OTA checks.

Here's the Incremental OTA procedure I follow: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ices-platforms.2239421/page-149#post-84764713
    Anything I should look out for ( besides what's posted in OP ) ?
    Even if you get a ton of red mount errors while flashing a rom you can safely ignore those, follow all the steps and the rom will boot just fine.

if you get a no os installed message while rebooting to system/twrp you can ignore that too.
    Could you please explain what "Unmap Super Devices" in Advanced does and when one would use that?
    Not the developer, but I'll throw in my 2¢:
    Virtual A/B devices work with a single super partition containing multiple sub-partitions (system_a, system_b, etc). These sub-partitions are allowed to share physical sections, which is why modifying /system or /vendor on virtual A/B devices almost always causes breakages.
    When booting into recovery, the super partition's layout is parsed (possibly from the boot partition), and the sub-partitions are mapped as block devices in /dev. The sub-partitions point into various offsets inside the super partition.
    When you flash super in recovery, all the sub-partitions' offsets change, and the mapped devices (system_a/b etc) become invalid. That's why you'll often read you need to reboot into recovery after flashing super, to update the super sub-partitions.
    This option is I think to cleanly remove the super sub-partitions' mappings before you flash super. There should be another option to map the sub-partitions' devices again after flashing.

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
    # To temporarily boot it
    fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
    Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
    @bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
    @Lossyx
    @osm0sis
    @Nebrassy

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
    Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:
    2021-09-04

IMG: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664800911
    Installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664801008
    FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• OOS/H2OS flashing is broken.
    • If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
    • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
    • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
    • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
    • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.
    New build released - 20210726 (Kebab only)

Changelog:

1. Removed 9R support
    2. Fixed the TWRP screen overlapping with the notch
    3. Various mount errors while flashing ROMs should be gone now (atleast my testers think so)
    5. Removed AOSPA kernel, and updated to latest LOS kernel
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

New build released - 20210904

Changelog:
    1. Removed repack tools
    2. Allowed OpenAES encrypted backups (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    3. Added logical flag for relevant partitions (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha

NOTE for 9R users: This build SHOULD work with 9R - you SHOULD be able to do everything except flashing OOS. This is experimental. Use it at your own risk.

Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

Remove any password/pin/pattern before doing this

Backup

In TWRP
    1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
    2. Reboot System

Restore
    In TWRP
    If you skip this step you will not be able to successfully start the system after restoring data
    1. Wipe>Factory Reset
    2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
      1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
      2. Reboot system

Note:
      1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
      2. You will be presented with a blank screen or a toast message saying "com.android.phone keeps stopping."
        Tap "Close app", hold the Power button down to be presented with the option to (Lockdown), Power off, or Restart. Select Restart
      3. It may take a couple of restarts

If you want to backup and restore fingerprints too, follow the guide in the attached file