• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] [11] [ALPHA] TeamWin Recovery Project (8T / Kebab) (2021-09-04)

Search This thread

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Since TWRP cannot flash stock (yet), how do you get back from a custom ROM to stock? Is EDL the only way?
Use TWRP to backups data, boot, dtbo, and super while you're still running OOS. Then, when you've finished with custom rom, restore OOS using TWRP (follow instructions in OP) and make sure you restore super to the same slot you were on when you backed it up.

jfromeo

Aug 7, 2011
I have an OP8T with LOS 18.1 and LOS custom recovery.

I wanted to flash TWRP, but if I try to disable "Update recovery" on my LOS flash settings, it says:

hG35t7N.jpg

"It is impossible to disable Lineage Recovery updates on this device"

So, in each LOS flash, will I lose TWRP as LOS custom recovery will be flashed?

Thank you.

z00man

I fail when trying to Format data, help !

"failed to decrypt use 0
Unable to decrypt with default password. You may need to perform a format data
/system/bin/make_f2fs -dl -f -0 encrypt -0 quota -0 verity -w 4096 /dev/block/sda28 27599831 process ended with ERROR: 255
Unable to wipe data
Unable to format to remove encryption.

Updating partition details...
Failed to mount 'data' ( Device or resource busy)
...Done

Unable to mount storage.

// im on crd7.8 with neutrino kernel

Last edited:

tyler19820201

Jun 19, 2011
London
I have an OP8T with LOS 18.1 and LOS custom recovery.

I wanted to flash TWRP, but if I try to disable "Update recovery" on my LOS flash settings, it says:

hG35t7N.jpg

"It is impossible to disable Lineage Recovery updates on this device"

So, in each LOS flash, will I lose TWRP as LOS custom recovery will be flashed?

Thank you.
if you are rooted with magisk you can keep twrp...

Fif_

Jun 5, 2013
Google Nexus 10
Google Nexus 4

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013
Interesting question. Vendor on this phone is a virtual partition (it lives inside the super partition). So it is flashed when you flash a rom. But, because it isn't a physical partition you can't back it up or flash it on it's own.

Of course I'd happy for someone to prove me wrong.
Understood. So, it would be possible to build custom roms with prebuilt vendor, as well as roms that would use stock vendor?

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013
You'll find that custom roms include vendor but I've never tried comparing it to OOS.
Not all of them. Some build vendor, some don't, instead they are using stock vendor. So, the first time, users flash latest stock to both slots, then they install a custom rom, which doesn't touch vendor. Oneplus 6/6t are a good example.

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
Can someone please give me a quick short lesson about slots? What slot should I be flashing TWRP, custom roms and magisk, and GAPPS? There are two slots A/B from what I understand. My current knowledge about this slot seems like a recipe for brick.

This is my first modern smarphone. All my phones previous only need to flast twrp then flash custom rom. Now, phones have slot a and b to chose and if you chose the wrong slot, bam. bye bye phone.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Can someone please give me a quick short lesson about slots? What slot should I be flashing TWRP, custom roms and magisk, and GAPPS? There are two slots A/B from what I understand. My current knowledge about this slot seems like a recipe for brick.

This is my first modern smarphone. All my phones previous only need to flast twrp then flash custom rom. Now, phones have slot a and b to chose and if you chose the wrong slot, bam. bye bye phone.
A good place to learn about this is to read the AOSP documentation (on a PC or in desktop mode on a phone) about OTAs and A/B devices: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota

Reactions: noddledizzy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

If someone is intressted I created a black Themed TWRP Version (Themed by @acuicultor and @Morphine1) for the Oneplus 8t.
    This TWRP is the same one as the one here in the OP just with the black Theme applied to it.
    I put the IMG file for that here which can just be booted with fastboot boot twrp_black-3.5.2_11-0-kebab.img

EDIT: I have uploaded the flashable .ZIP installer with black theme on the above link as well now.

TWRP_black_Kebab.png
    Hi all!

If someone is intressted I created a black Themed TWRP Version (Themed by @acuicultor and @Morphine1) for the Oneplus 8t.
    This TWRP is the same one as the one here in the OP just with the black Theme applied to it.
    I put the IMG file for that here which can just be booted with fastboot boot twrp_black-3.5.2_11-0-kebab.img

As of now I only put the black themed .IMG file there but will provide a black themed installer.zip as well later on.

View attachment 5427341

Wow. The UI looks nice. Really nice. Could you make a TWRP theme instead of hardcoding into the TWRP? If that's possible, you can create a thread of TWRP black theme. Then, I can release the normal one as usual and users (including me, I love black theme lol) can come to your thread and get the theme zip. This will also make it build independent. Really love your work. @acuicultor @Morphine1 @Wishmasterflo
    OTG is known broken I think, at least on a bunch of twrp-11 devices, not sure here
    Flashing magisk\ kernels on OOS works fine with this TWRP?

Yes
    Uhh, that sounds nasty.. Things were so much easier with the Nexus 5 and the OP5T..

For a novice it is such a big effort nowadays to backup and try out new ROMs.

I think I'll just stay with OOS then. However: thanks for your explanation!

Blame Google for their virtual A/B partition system :D

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
    # To temporarily boot it
    fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
    Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
    @bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
    @Lossyx
    @osm0sis
    @Nebrassy

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
    Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:
    2021-09-04

IMG: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664800911
    Installer: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664801008
    FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• OOS/H2OS flashing is broken.
    • If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
    • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
    • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
    • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
    • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.
    New build released - 20210726 (Kebab only)

Changelog:

1. Removed 9R support
    2. Fixed the TWRP screen overlapping with the notch
    3. Various mount errors while flashing ROMs should be gone now (atleast my testers think so)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    5. Removed AOSPA kernel, and updated to latest LOS kernel
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

As always, links are updated in the OP too.
    Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

Remove any password/pin/pattern before doing this

Backup

In TWRP
    1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
    2. Reboot System

Restore
    In TWRP
    If you skip this step you will not be able to successfully start the system after restoring data
    1. Wipe>Factory Reset
    2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
      1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
      2. Reboot system

Note:
      1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
      2. You will be presented with a blank screen or a toast message saying "com.android.phone keeps stopping."
        Tap "Close app", hold the Power button down to be presented with the option to (Lockdown), Power off, or Restart. Select Restart
      3. It may take a couple of restarts

If you want to backup and restore fingerprints too, follow the guide in the attached file
    New build released - 20210904

Changelog:
    1. Removed repack tools
    2. Allowed OpenAES encrypted backups (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    3. Added logical flag for relevant partitions (to conform with the TWRP source change)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210904-alpha

NOTE for 9R users: This build SHOULD work with 9R - you SHOULD be able to do everything except flashing OOS. This is experimental. Use it at your own risk.

As always, links are updated in the OP too.