Development [RECOVERY] [12] [OFFICIAL] TeamWin Recovery Project

Search This thread

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
I'm pretty sure the Note 10 pro is a non-A/B device. I've always used the non-AB installation and just flashed the recovery image, and it's fine.
Damn..! There is so much confusion. See this👇

Attachments

• 20220625_133611.jpg
    20220625_133611.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 66

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Interesting. In any case, these are the instructions I've used, and it's worked:

I tried PE+ but used PE Recovery at that time. After some use I flashed MIUI fastboot package to get back on stock ROM as I was not satisfied with the battery backup; I had just bought it and applied for unlocking bootloader so physical condition of battery is (or should be) perfect. PE Recovery was still there after setting up MIUI.
But when I was wondering how to flash Magisk, I thought of using TWRP. I also followed the same method that is given on their (TWRP) official website to get a persistent TWRP Recovery. I installed the 3.6.1** version which was latest at that moment.

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
I'm pretty sure the Note 10 pro is a non-A/B device. I've always used the non-AB installation and just flashed the recovery image, and it's fine.
There is even DSU loader under Developer Options and it has GSIs for testing. Although I selected one and I got a persistent notification that it is being installed but I couldn't stand the anxiety so I cancelled it.
If it can be installed and used as guest OS then it means that our device does have A/B partitions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-21-40-439_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-21-40-439_com.android.settings.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-21-52-919_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-21-52-919_com.android.settings.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-26-14-391_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-25-17-26-14-391_com.android.settings.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 56

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016
There is even DSU loader under Developer Options and it has GSIs for testing. Although I selected one and I got a persistent notification that it is being installed but I couldn't stand the anxiety so I cancelled it.
If it can be installed and used as guest OS then it means that our device does have A/B partitions.
If it's ab then you can set a or b active. Try to set a or b active and you would see the result.
I'm sure the command doesn't work in case of non ab

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
If it's ab then you can set a or b active. Try to set a or b active and you would see the result.
I'm sure the command doesn't work in case of non ab
Just installed it and it worked; although it was based on Android 12 so that's nothing great right? So DSU can create a new dynamic partition and install GSI there. But still no seamless system update support.
I wanted to make installing MIUI OTA updates a less troublesome by following a method which works on MiA2. But I guess I am out of luck.

Attachments

• 20220625_185701.jpg
    20220625_185701.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220625_185705.jpg
    20220625_185705.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 39

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Just installed it and it worked; although it was based on Android 12 so that's nothing great right? So DSU can create a new dynamic partition and install GSI there. But still no seamless system update support.
I wanted to make installing MIUI OTA updates a less troublesome by following a method which works on MiA2. But I guess I am out of luck.
I'm done with it. It has A-only partition. Period.

Reactions: lee99 and Laptapper

cocopipou

Jul 24, 2016
Gembloux
Lenovo P2
Which OS do you have installed?
I'm using AOSPExtended rom v9.0, but the problem doesn't come from the OS.
The first time You use fastboot to install twrp (after unlocking bootloader) or after having flashed a rom containing a recovery (stock roms and some custom roms) You will have to do as mentionned in this subject https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ and more especially "Step 2: Flashing TWRP, Case I: Devices with A-only partition scheme".

I also succeeded working on another manner.
If I want to install another rom in order to try it with "keeping" twrp, I proceed as follows in the same and unique run :
  1. boot into twrp
  2. swipe ...
  3. flash rom but don't reboot
  4. flash twrp
  5. reboot.
Doing so I don't care to know if the rom which I want to install contains or not a recovery, except when I knox the the rom doesn't contain a recovery inside like AospExtended, lineage, ...
The only problem I encounter with twrp is that the settings are not saved. Someone already asked this question.

Last edited:

Hans53123

Nov 25, 2018
I'm using AOSPExtended rom v9.0, but the problem doesn't come from the OS.
The first time You use fastboot to install twrp (after unlocking bootloader) or after having flashed a rom containing a recovery (stock roms and some custom roms) You will have to do as mentionned in this subject https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ and more especially "Step 2: Flashing TWRP, Case I: Devices with A-only partition scheme".

I also succeeded working on another manner.
If I want to install another rom in order to try it with "keeping" twrp, I proceed as follows in the same and unique run :
  1. boot into twrp
  2. swipe ...
  3. flash rom but don't reboot
  4. flash twrp
  5. reboot.
Doing so I don't care to know if the rom which I want to install contains or not a recovery, except when I knox the the rom doesn't contain a recovery inside like AospExtended, lineage, ...
The only problem I encounter with twrp is that the settings are not saved. Someone already asked this question.
Yesterday I got another recommendation that worked: 1. Flash twrp with ADB, then flash orange fox with twrp directly, then flash twrp with orange fox and then back into the system. TWRP works completely fine and remembers settings. I just hope that after the next update of PE everything doesn't start all over again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mike_bravo

mike_bravo

Jan 7, 2018
Sandhol
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
So it means:
a. Device has A-only partition => there is a separate Recovery partition(?)
b. To make TWRP persistent, after flashing recovery in fastboot using 'fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img' use hardware buttons (power+volume down) and not fastboot command.
c. If the custom ROM has recovery included with it (like PE) then after flashing ROM flash TWRP again before rebooting.

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016
So it means:
a. Device has A-only partition => there is a separate Recovery partition(?)
b. To make TWRP persistent, after flashing recovery in fastboot using 'fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img' use hardware buttons (power+volume down) and not fastboot command.
c. If the custom ROM has recovery included with it (like PE) then after flashing ROM flash TWRP again before rebooting.
My opinion
a. yes
b. yes
c. yes

Top Liked Posts