[RECOVERY][3.4.0-0][doha]Unofficial TWRP recovery for Moto G8 Plus (Testing)

Search This thread

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */

Features:
- Decrypt works
- Removed TWRP app
- Backup still have some problems use it carefully
- Fastboot boot works
- Touch works
- Vibration works
- Rom Flashing

Install guide:
1. Install fastboot tools from google's sdk on your PC
2. Enter fastboot mode
3. Unlock your bootloader
4. Run "fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img" in command line (if you want to have it permanently you should flash the installer)
5. If you will flash the installer and you are stock you need also to flash magisk or your phone will not boot again
6. Enjoy it:)

Other Install guide:
1. Install fastboot tools from google's sdk on your PC
2. Enter fastboot mode
3. Unlock your bootloader
4. Run "fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img" in command line
5. Copy the recoveryimgfilename.img in the phone memory
6. Go in advanced menu
7. Click on "Install Recovery Ramdisk"
Screenshot-2019-04-04-17-25-43.png

8. Choose the recoveryimgfilename.img
9. Swipe to install

Tips:
If you alread have a twrp flashed you can only flash the new installer zip or the new installation method to update your TWRP (remember to flash again magisk or your system will not boot).
If you have some problems with backup, like 255 error or something similar please check this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/255-error-twrp-backup-restore-999-t3801632
For the Bacups use always "system_image" and "vendor_image" instead of "system" and "vendor".

Download:
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio

TWRP 3.3.1-23 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-23 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-19 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-19 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-17 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-17 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-16 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-16 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio

Source code:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_motorola_doha

My Telegram TWRP Support Group:
https://t.me/twrp_Mauronofrio

Donations:

Credits:
Thanks to @ath0 for hard testing
Thanks to vache for the help with touch fix
Thanks to @Electimon for some tips

Created 2020-02-27

Last edited:

fedex_742

Oct 27, 2016
sorry for my bad English..
so... if I want to stay in the stock rom and install TWRP, the only way is to root with magisk?
and after that the stock ROM rooted with magisk will be stable to daily use?

irex102

Mar 23, 2013
Ottawa
Hello thanks for the TWRP recovery port. It works great!
Now, a few days after I flashed it. Motorola pushed a firmware or security update . I didn't install it yet but I would like to. I think I have to go back to stock recovery in order to install the update. Might you have a guide on how to do this? I already have the stock rom downloaded but I don't know how to get the stock recovery

Reactions: Pandit1234

Almoxil

Jan 1, 2020
Hello,

I've got a Moto G8 Plus which I rooted using Magisk after unlocking the bootloader. It works just fine as it is, but I would like to install TWRP so I can have a backup of it. However, I'm afraid of installing TWRP and breaking something or losing the root.

Can I flash this version of TWRP over a Moto G8 Plus already rooted with Magisk without losing root or breaking Magisk or something else?

Pandit1234

Dec 12, 2018
Hello thanks for the TWRP recovery port. It works great!
Now, a few days after I flashed it. Motorola pushed a firmware or security update . I didn't install it yet but I would like to. I think I have to go back to stock recovery in order to install the update. Might you have a guide on how to do this? I already have the stock rom downloaded but I don't know how to get the stock recovery

That is just a security update let it be it will **** things up trust me

merx773

Dec 29, 2011
Chicago
Moto G Stylus
Hi there,

Thanks for your efforts puling together a TWRP for our phones!

I've got a question because I'm not quite clear about your response to the previous question about the security update. I've been using the stock recovery, rooted with Magisk and went through the whole process of accepting the security update and then re-rooted etc.

Will I wind up F'ing up my phone if I go to install your TWRP since I've already accepted the security update? Or would I be better off just compiling TWRP on my own ( it'll be my first foray into that area ) taking that route instead?

Any and all opinions welcome

Reactions: SnowTalker

FoxDroid1214

Apr 23, 2020
did not work for my phone, Moto G8 Power purchased 4/17/2020 fully unlocked bootloader, no root, attempted to boot to img, failed to boot.

[email protected]

sorry im doing a lot of research and looking, i basically accidentally soft bricked my phone, my wife and i have the exact same phone, and i cant seem to pull the factory images from it, nor can i make the various versions of OEM recovery images or boot loaders function on the phone.

maybe im just doing something wrong. pardon the typos.

What Name

Apr 22, 2020
did not work for my phone, Moto G8 Power purchased 4/17/2020 fully unlocked bootloader, no root, attempted to boot to img, failed to boot.

[email protected]

sorry im doing a lot of research and looking, i basically accidentally soft bricked my phone, my wife and i have the exact same phone, and i cant seem to pull the factory images from it, nor can i make the various versions of OEM recovery images or boot loaders function on the phone.

maybe im just doing something wrong. pardon the typos.

I have played a little with Moto G8 Plus (XT2019-1). And i'm not worried about brick it. Have done a few times, but always recovered with blankflash.. After blankflash it will start bootloader, and then i can flash stock firmware. I found Stock FW and also blankflash on lolinet. I prefer using Fastboot for flashing. Don't need TWRP for flashing. Have locked, and Unlocked bootloader many times..
If needed, i can make a description on how to use blankflash as it can be hard to get started..
Check lolinet for stock FW and blankflash.. You need to know code name for your phone..
mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/

hendrack

Aug 26, 2016
Allright, I installed successfully TWRP (install to ramdisk) and Magisk, rooted phone is fine etc, but when I boot into recovery again touch does not work and I am stuck in bootloop into recovery until I flash both again. Any hints?

Top Liked Posts