• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, pages, logins, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[RECOVERY][3.4.0-0][doha]Unofficial TWRP recovery for Moto G8 Plus (Testing)

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */
Features:
- Decrypt works
- Removed TWRP app
- Backup still have some problems use it carefully
- Fastboot boot works
- Touch works
- Vibration works
- Rom Flashing

Install guide:
1. Install fastboot tools from google's sdk on your PC
2. Enter fastboot mode
3. Unlock your bootloader
4. Run "fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img" in command line (if you want to have it permanently you should flash the installer)
5. If you will flash the installer and you are stock you need also to flash magisk or your phone will not boot again
6. Enjoy it:)

Other Install guide:
1. Install fastboot tools from google's sdk on your PC
2. Enter fastboot mode
3. Unlock your bootloader
4. Run "fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img" in command line
5. Copy the recoveryimgfilename.img in the phone memory
6. Go in advanced menu
7. Click on "Install Recovery Ramdisk"

8. Choose the recoveryimgfilename.img
9. Swipe to install

Tips:
If you alread have a twrp flashed you can only flash the new installer zip or the new installation method to update your TWRP (remember to flash again magisk or your system will not boot).
If you have some problems with backup, like 255 error or something similar please check this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/255-error-twrp-backup-restore-999-t3801632
For the Bacups use always "system_image" and "vendor_image" instead of "system" and "vendor".

Download:
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio

TWRP 3.3.1-23 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-23 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-19 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-19 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-17 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-17 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-16 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-16 Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio

Source code:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_motorola_doha

My Telegram TWRP Support Group:
https://t.me/twrp_Mauronofrio

Donations:

Credits:
Thanks to @ath0 for hard testing
Thanks to vache for the help with touch fix
Thanks to @Electimon for some tips

Created 2020-02-27

Last edited:

MarMOX619

Aug 30, 2020
Is there possibility to install TWRP on Moto G8 Plus with android 10?

I manually updated the firmware of the Motorola G8 Plus (xt2019-2) and now it does not allow me to reinstall the TWRP, does anyone know any solutions ??

NeoandGeo

Jan 25, 2011
You can still obtain root on Android Q with Magisk using the Boot Image Patching method. Works fine and passes basic SafetyNet tests.

I wouldn't worry too much about TWRP as it offers little benefit on this device with a non-existent ROM modding scene.

Last edited:

SnowTalker

Jun 17, 2020
You can still obtain root on Android Q with Magisk using the Boot Image Patching method. Works fine and passes basic SafetyNet tests.

I wouldn't worry too much about TWRP as it offers little benefit on this device with a non-existent ROM modding scene.
Yes, I patched my boot image too.

Edxposed: Installed
Magisk: Installed
Systemless hosts (for ad blocking): Installed

Google play certification: Certified
Safety net: passed

Loads and loads of customization tools loaded in magisk modules.

TWRP: of course not installed, but did try to boot.

AndroidGeekCA

Sep 22, 2020
I am looking at upgrading from the Motorola G6 model to the G8+ model that I found on Amazon for only $303 for Prime Members. It looks to me as though there aren't any ROMS like Lineage-OS posted in this forum section. That means that I must conclude that there aren't any ROMS available for this device at the moment.

That is why I am curious as to the reason that I was able to find this TWRP that I will need to install when/if I buy the newer phone model but not able to find any ROMS listed in the forum section. You are sure that this TWRP version/file is the correct one that I will have to flash to the device?

I don't want to run into problems and end up ruining the new phone after buying it. Especially when you consider that I once flashed a BRAZILIAN version of an old phone I had which made the phone completely dysfunctional LOL

Ramaiz

Apr 26, 2020
I am looking at upgrading from the Motorola G6 model to the G8+ model that I found on Amazon for only $303 for Prime Members. It looks to me as though there aren't any ROMS like Lineage-OS posted in this forum section. That means that I must conclude that there aren't any ROMS available for this device at the moment.

That is why I am curious as to the reason that I was able to find this TWRP that I will need to install when/if I buy the newer phone model but not able to find any ROMS listed in the forum section. You are sure that this TWRP version/file is the correct one that I will have to flash to the device?

I don't want to run into problems and end up ruining the new phone after buying it. Especially when you consider that I once flashed a BRAZILIAN version of an old phone I had which made the phone completely dysfunctional LOL

the twrp is not working on android 10, and we do not have custom roms for g8+, it was possible to install gsi on android 9 now nothing else. just stockrom for now.

SnowTalker

Jun 17, 2020
the twrp is not working on android 10, and we do not have custom roms for g8+, it was possible to install gsi on android 9 now nothing else. just stockrom for now.
You can use fastboot to flash gsis on android 10. Of course not custom roms, wait for twrp to be bootable.

markbonn

Oct 7, 2011
Medellín
How did you get edxposed?

I installed Riru_(Riru_-_Core)-v21.3(36) with Riru_-_EdXposed-v0.4.6.2_(4529)_(SandHook) and went into bootloop and then tried with the Riru_(Riru_-_Core)-v21.3(36) and the Riru_-_EdXposed-v0.4.6.2_(4529)_(YAHFA)(4529) and the edxposed installer is not activated .

Which modules did you install in magisk?
Help me, please.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Yes, I patched my boot image too.

Edxposed: Installed
Magisk: Installed
Systemless hosts (for ad blocking): Installed

Google play certification: Certified
Safety net: passed

Loads and loads of customization tools loaded in magisk modules.

TWRP: of course not installed, but did try to boot.

I installed Riru_(Riru_-_Core)-v21.3(36) with Riru_-_EdXposed-v0.4.6.2_(4529)_(SandHook) and went into bootloop and then tried with the Riru_(Riru_-_Core)-v21.3(36) and the Riru_-_EdXposed-v0.4.6.2_(4529)_(YAHFA)(4529) and the edxposed installer is not activated .

Help me, please

SnowTalker

Jun 17, 2020

Help me, please.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Help me, please
You installed both types; (YAHFA) & (SANDHOOK) will make the manager say it is not activated. Please go and delete the riru files in a root directory. I don't remember exactly where as I am not using it rn. I uninstalled lol.

Edit: you will Need [YAHFA] (from the magisk repo) after installed open the manager and it should say installed, after that install the YAHFA canary version within the app.

markbonn

Oct 7, 2011
Medellín
You installed both types; (YAHFA) & (SANDHOOK) will make the manager say it is not activated. Please go and delete the riru files in a root directory. I don't remember exactly where as I am not using it rn. I uninstalled lol.

Edit: you will Need [YAHFA] (from the magisk repo) after installed open the manager and it should say installed, after that install the YAHFA canary version within the app.

Friend, I did what you told me and in the app edxposed manager said "Edxposed Framework is active" but when I want to start for example GravityBox I get the message that says "GravityBox system framework not responding. Exiting" that is, as if the Edxposed module had not been activated.

SnowTalker

Jun 17, 2020
Friend, I did what you told me and in the app edxposed manager said "Edxposed Framework is active" but when I want to start for example GravityBox I get the message that says "GravityBox system framework not responding. Exiting" that is, as if the Edxposed module had not been activated.
Did you enable the edxposed module for gravity box and rebooted?

balyanyash_08

Dec 5, 2019
Yes, I installed the version for android Q. Besides, that's not the only module I installed. The others are not activated either
I have the same stock firmware for the device but I'm unable to boot or flash twrp recovery.
Please help

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

When flashing the installer or using the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" method, the touchscreen won't work
Flash your stock firmware again it will work ??

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Hi there...
I'm on stock firmware with android 10 rooted with magisk manager need a flashable recovery...
The twrp recovery do not boot at all
Please help..??

draftflash

Oct 6, 2020
twrp for Moto G9?

Hi everybody! Sorry for posting here, I'm not allowed yet to open a thread, so I couldn't ask this question in the right Moto G9 section...
I need a recovery for a Moto G9 Play, twrp if possible, but also open to something else, if you can recommend it. Aim to flash /e/. Thanks for hints!

el rayo 07

Oct 8, 2020
hablo español

I have the same stock firmware for the device but I'm unable to boot or flash twrp recovery.
Please help

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Flash your stock firmware again it will work ??

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Hi there...
I'm on stock firmware with android 10 rooted with magisk manager need a flashable recovery...
The twrp recovery do not boot at all
Please help..
estoy igual, no logro arrancar twrp en android 10 rom stock

jdegreef

Oct 24, 2013
Brussels
Nope, this twrp don't work with stock android 10 (see above).
I have the feeling I bought the wrong device. I thought Moto G8+ would be well supported regarding Moto good reputation but it is not the case. I know this is spare time work for most of XDA developers and I thank them for that. I'm disappointed I don't have enough knowledge to help.

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
I have the feeling I bought the wrong device. I thought Moto G8+ would be well supported regarding Moto good reputation but it is not the case. I know this is spare time work for most of XDA developers and I thank them for that. I'm disappointed I don't have enough knowledge to help.
Yes. The only thing that I thought too. Moto g8 plus sucks a lot. Only Motorola one devices are supported mostly

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
Can you use the Omni Rom with this? I'm still on Android 9 because I want to keep the root.
If yes, what are the steps?
You can head over to another thread in general section! That's Vache's instructions. I created the thread, how to flash stock properly if you want to flash omni

fivemoreyears

Nov 6, 2020
I believe I pulled boot.bin from stock 10 update and patched it through magisk and flashed it through adb. My reasoning was just for viperfx to run properly. I found the info all on here. At work right now. Sorry to be so blunt. Will give further details later if needed.
Found a video on YouTube to do it, gonna try later:good:

aceboogie

Oct 2, 2010
In front of e4gt
Is there a way for me to update to Android 10 without losing all my stuff?
I'm on Android 9 with twrp but when I go to update to Android 10 in the settings nothing happens. I assume the update is being blocked.
I don't think I lost anything when upgrading. Lost when unlocking bootloader. Just make backup before and restore after would be my guess

fedex_742

Oct 27, 2016
sorry for my bad English..
so... if I want to stay in the stock rom and install TWRP, the only way is to root with magisk?
and after that the stock ROM rooted with magisk will be stable to daily use?

irex102

Mar 23, 2013
Ottawa
Hello thanks for the TWRP recovery port. It works great!
Now, a few days after I flashed it. Motorola pushed a firmware or security update . I didn't install it yet but I would like to. I think I have to go back to stock recovery in order to install the update. Might you have a guide on how to do this? I already have the stock rom downloaded but I don't know how to get the stock recovery

Reactions: Pandit1234

Almoxil

Jan 1, 2020
Hello,

I've got a Moto G8 Plus which I rooted using Magisk after unlocking the bootloader. It works just fine as it is, but I would like to install TWRP so I can have a backup of it. However, I'm afraid of installing TWRP and breaking something or losing the root.

Can I flash this version of TWRP over a Moto G8 Plus already rooted with Magisk without losing root or breaking Magisk or something else?

Pandit1234

Dec 12, 2018
Hello thanks for the TWRP recovery port. It works great!
Now, a few days after I flashed it. Motorola pushed a firmware or security update . I didn't install it yet but I would like to. I think I have to go back to stock recovery in order to install the update. Might you have a guide on how to do this? I already have the stock rom downloaded but I don't know how to get the stock recovery

That is just a security update let it be it will **** things up trust me

merx773

Dec 29, 2011
Chicago
Hi there,

Thanks for your efforts puling together a TWRP for our phones!

I've got a question because I'm not quite clear about your response to the previous question about the security update. I've been using the stock recovery, rooted with Magisk and went through the whole process of accepting the security update and then re-rooted etc.

Will I wind up F'ing up my phone if I go to install your TWRP since I've already accepted the security update? Or would I be better off just compiling TWRP on my own ( it'll be my first foray into that area ) taking that route instead?

Any and all opinions welcome

Reactions: SnowTalker

FoxDroid1214

Apr 23, 2020
did not work for my phone, Moto G8 Power purchased 4/17/2020 fully unlocked bootloader, no root, attempted to boot to img, failed to boot.

[email protected]

sorry im doing a lot of research and looking, i basically accidentally soft bricked my phone, my wife and i have the exact same phone, and i cant seem to pull the factory images from it, nor can i make the various versions of OEM recovery images or boot loaders function on the phone.

maybe im just doing something wrong. pardon the typos.

What Name

Apr 22, 2020
did not work for my phone, Moto G8 Power purchased 4/17/2020 fully unlocked bootloader, no root, attempted to boot to img, failed to boot.

[email protected]

sorry im doing a lot of research and looking, i basically accidentally soft bricked my phone, my wife and i have the exact same phone, and i cant seem to pull the factory images from it, nor can i make the various versions of OEM recovery images or boot loaders function on the phone.

maybe im just doing something wrong. pardon the typos.
I have played a little with Moto G8 Plus (XT2019-1). And i'm not worried about brick it. Have done a few times, but always recovered with blankflash.. After blankflash it will start bootloader, and then i can flash stock firmware. I found Stock FW and also blankflash on lolinet. I prefer using Fastboot for flashing. Don't need TWRP for flashing. Have locked, and Unlocked bootloader many times..
If needed, i can make a description on how to use blankflash as it can be hard to get started..
Check lolinet for stock FW and blankflash.. You need to know code name for your phone..
mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/

hendrack

Aug 26, 2016
Allright, I installed successfully TWRP (install to ramdisk) and Magisk, rooted phone is fine etc, but when I boot into recovery again touch does not work and I am stuck in bootloop into recovery until I flash both again. Any hints?

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone