[RECOVERY][3.4.0-0][I001D]Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for Rog Phone 2 (Stable)

Search This thread

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Yes i was talking about stock rom. Then i have to install with oficial asus instaler and after flash again magisk for root? Magisk only can be installed with twrp, no with magisk manager, im wrong?
thell me if this steps is correctly,
1- flash rom with twrp
2- flash twrp to no be replaced by stock recovery
3- flash magisk for boot
is correct?
Thank you friend

Enviado desde mi MI MAX 3 mediante Tapatalk
Not sure about flashing TWRP after flashing stock rom as i am not using TWRP. But, after you flash stock rom, instead of choosing to reboot, select 'later' then go magisk manager and choose 'install magisk' then choose after OTA install. That'll ensure you have root again after the OTA and you can go ahead and reboot. However, hopefully someone else can advise at what point you install TWRP again. You probably need to reboot after installing magisk again and TWRP. But like i say, i don't use it right now so not sure...

Reactions: jorgeepelos

gabi.ailincai

Mar 30, 2018
Iasi
Yes i was talking about stock rom. Then i have to install with oficial asus instaler and after flash again magisk for root? Magisk only can be installed with twrp, no with magisk manager, im wrong?
thell me if this steps is correctly,
1- flash rom with twrp(because i prefer update roms with twrp, if is possible)
2- flash twrp to no be replaced by stock recovery
3- flash magisk for boot
is correct?
Thank you friend

Enviado desde mi MI MAX 3 mediante Tapatalk
Magisk can also be installed through flashing a patched boot image through fastboot. The patched boot image is created by Magisk Manager, so TWRP is not the only install method. But this is besides the point.

Before you reboot, Magisk Manager still has root permissions so it still has the ability to flash Magisk and TRWP. You have the instructions for this in the first post and it is the simplest to do.

If you insist on going your way, just because this is how you're used to update, you might end up with a phone that doesn't boot. It's just easier if you follow the steps that were provided by OP. The steps you mentioned *seem* to be correct, but I haven't tried this, so I can't confirm they will definitely work. Make sure you flash Magisk last.

Reactions: jorgeepelos

bcool_1

Jan 11, 2016
Sorry for the off topic issue

Today I unlocked the bootloader of my asus rog phone 2 running stock (latest version stable one) by EDL method.
Now the device state is showing unlocked but I am unable to boot to system and it only bootloop to fastboot mode.
And when I connect my phone to pc, in device manager it is showing as ADB interface but in file manager it is not showing anything.
When i boot twrp image through fastboot command in pc, it shows that slot a or slot b is unbootable, device will be turned off after 30s.
Any help guys will be deeply appreciated

apollo3x

Dec 6, 2014
New Delhi
Sorry for the off topic issue

Today I unlocked the bootloader of my asus rog phone 2 running stock (latest version stable one) by EDL method.
Now the device state is showing unlocked but I am unable to boot to system and it only bootloop to fastboot mode.
And when I connect my phone to pc, in device manager it is showing as ADB interface but in file manager it is not showing anything.
When i boot twrp image through fastboot command in pc, it shows that slot a or slot b is unbootable, device will be turned off after 30s.
Any help guys will be deeply appreciated
Ah. Just flash Fastboot rom and you'll be fine. This happened because you didn't wipe internal storage ig

Reactions: bcool_1

dracoolia

Sep 1, 2008
Hi all, I have a little problem, I have installed TWRP and magisk all working well, but when I want to install YT vanced I have bootloop, I flash boot.img in fastboot, but now when I want to install magisk I have bootloop, to restart again the phone I need to flash twrp.zip by twrp loll
Someone can help me to have again root ?
I think if I flash in fastboot stock recovery I can install against correctly TWRP and magisk, but I don't find stock recovery.imp
I'm in the last update Android 10 (2004.60)

Last edited:

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Hi all, I have a little problem, I have installed TWRP and magisk all working well, but when I want to install YT vanced I have bootloop, I flash boot.img in fastboot, but now when I want to install magisk I have bootloop, to restart again the phone I need to flash twrp.zip by twrp loll
Someone can help me to have again root ?
I think if I flash in fastboot stock recovery I can install against correctly TWRP and magisk, but I don't find stock recovery.imp
I'm in the last update Android 10 (2004.60)
Check pm. Can't post telegram links on xda as its not allowed. It'll give the link to find latest stock and root img's

Reactions: dracoolia
Just want to confirm before I do this.

I'm using an Asus ROG Phone 2 Tencent Edition, I'm on the latest Android 9 stock ROM (1910.64), I've converted the fingerprint to WW, and I am rooted with Magisk and I'm still using the stock recovery (I've never installed TWRP on this device yet).

Am I correct in my understanding that I can just download the TWRP installer zip from this thread and flash it through Magisk Manager Module Install section and then reboot? I don't need to also reflash Magisk since the system is already updated and rooted, correct?

gabi.ailincai

Mar 30, 2018
Iasi
Just want to confirm before I do this.

I'm using an Asus ROG Phone 2 Tencent Edition, I'm on the latest Android 9 stock ROM (1910.64), I've converted the fingerprint to WW, and I am rooted with Magisk and I'm still using the stock recovery (I've never installed TWRP on this device yet).

Am I correct in my understanding that I can just download the TWRP installer zip from this thread and flash it through Magisk Manager Module Install section and then reboot? I don't need to also reflash Magisk since the system is already updated and rooted, correct?
Both TWRP and Magisk modify the boot image. Once you flash TWRP, something probably breaks Magisk, which is why the initial post says to flash Magisk again. Even if you flash it from within Magisk, the TWRP installer still modifies the boot image and breaks Magisk once you reboot.

The first post has a set of instructions for updating the ROM and keeping TWRP and root, use those instructions. I'm not sure if you'll need to also do the last step to install on inactive slot (after OTA). There might be something specific to OTA updates that doesn't happen when installing TWRP, so the wrong move here will get you in a boot loop. I mistakenly used the OTA option in Magisk once instead of the direct install option and the phone got in a boot loop.

Although your method *sounds* correct and should work as long as you reflash Magisk afterwards, why not just stick to the original instructions? You might risk having to reinstall everything.

Reactions: bluegizmo83
Both TWRP and Magisk modify the boot image. Once you flash TWRP, something probably breaks Magisk, which is why the initial post says to flash Magisk again. Even if you flash it from within Magisk, the TWRP installer still modifies the boot image and breaks Magisk once you reboot.

The first post has a set of instructions for updating the ROM and keeping TWRP and root, use those instructions. I'm not sure if you'll need to also do the last step to install on inactive slot (after OTA). There might be something specific to OTA updates that doesn't happen when installing TWRP, so the wrong move here will get you in a boot loop. I mistakenly used the OTA option in Magisk once instead of the direct install option and the phone got in a boot loop.

Although your method *sounds* correct and should work as long as you reflash Magisk afterwards, why not just stick to the original instructions? You might risk having to reinstall everything.

Thanks. I was able to flash the TWRP installer zip through Magisk, and then back out to the Magisk main screen and install Magisk to the "Direct Install (recommended)" option then reboot and it worked fine. I did not use the Inactive Slot option.

nakedhitman

Sep 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Unable to flash ROM zips

Hey peeps,
I am attempting to install Havoc, but am running into this unhelpful error message:
Code:
Error installing zip file
This also occurs with the LineageOS image, and flashing via sideload vs local storage does not affect it. Is there anything that can be done to get around this and/or get TWRP to print a more helpful error message?

The_Walking_Playground

Nov 30, 2017
Hey peeps,
I am attempting to install Havoc, but am running into this unhelpful error message: This also occurs with the LineageOS image, and flashing via sideload vs local storage does not affect it. Is there anything that can be done to get around this and/or get TWRP to print a more helpful error message?
Hi,

Upload the recovery log from TWRP using Advanced -> Copy Log. That's where you'll see the real error.

TWP

nakedhitman

Sep 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Upload the recovery log from TWRP using Advanced -> Copy Log. That's where you'll see the real error.
Here's what I found:
Code:
Failed to parse build number in post-build-incremental=eng.Comico.20200515.110657.
Package is for product  but expected ASUS_I001_1
I read something about updating the metadata file in the zip to include that, but the correct syntax eludes me, as does the means by which I might properly regenerate the hashes in payload_properties.txt. Closest I got was an obscure doc describing a tool for ChromeOS/Android image generation that does it, but it gave no mention as to where one might obtain the tool, nor its actual usage. Am I even on the right track?

Attachments

• recovery.log
    32.9 KB · Views: 4
  • dmesg.log.gz
    140.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

The_Walking_Playground

Nov 30, 2017
Here's what I found:
Code:
Failed to parse build number in post-build-incremental=eng.Comico.20200515.110657.
Package is for product  but expected ASUS_I001_1
I read something about updating the metadata file in the zip to include that, but the correct syntax eludes me, as does the means by which I might properly regenerate the hashes in payload_properties.txt. Closest I got was an obscure doc describing a tool for ChromeOS/Android image generation that does it, but it gave no mention as to where one might obtain the tool, nor its actual usage. Am I even on the right track?
Hi,

This appears to be an issue with the ROM zip itself. You should probably ask in the ROM thread what the proper fix for this is. In the LOS thread, this appears to be the suggested fix: https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/development/rom-lineageos-17-1-t4069113/post82071215. The same would probably work on Havoc.

TWP

zinou213

Mar 28, 2012
France
LG V20
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi, i downloaded TWRP IMG+INSTALLER, Official and unofficial ones, and i found that the file sizes are different respectively, so first i wanna know why ? and secondly can you please tell me the best one to install ?

Sent from my ASUS ROG Phone II using XDA Labs

The_Walking_Playground

Nov 30, 2017
Hi, i downloaded TWRP IMG+INSTALLER, Official and unofficial ones, and i found that the file sizes are different respectively, so first i wanna know why ? and secondly can you please tell me the best one to install ?
Hi,

I don't think it matters which one you install as they're both basically the same. The unofficial version removes the TWRP app, but I think that's really the only significant difference. So use whichever one you want - they will function the exact same. Personally I prefer to stick to the official version.

TWP

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone