Well, I managed to soft brick the phone with twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img ... System destroyed!
Phone is Xiaomi Note 8, recently bought, loaded from factory with: miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V126.96.36.199.QCOEUXM
I did the following:
- unlocked the boot loader by following Xiaomi's official Guides and Tools (had to wait 7 days)
- prepared a SDCard with the LOS17.1 zip image and the VBMETA PATCHER and inserted it into the phone
- flashed twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img (fastboot) and restarted in recovery mode (TWRP)
- tried to apply the VBMETA PATCHER and got into a lot of errors - mainly permission & not found - a lot of red lines
- then I tried to create a backup from the Stock ROM by selecting all partitions (not only data & system), this one failed too with errors like:
E:Unable to decrypt FBE device
Updating partition details...
Error opening: '/data/misc/recovery' (Operation not permitted)
I:Real error: Unable to stat '/data/misc/recovery'
... ending with:
I:Error writing destination fd (Operation not permitted)
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.
- then I tried to prepare for the LOS17.1 installation, while still in TWRP I went to Wipe > format data (again a lot of permission errors) - then in Advanced Wipe -> wipe: system & data & cache (again errors)
- next stage, I thought that the wiping wasn't actually successful and exited TWRP - restarting the phone, was considering to enter the stock Android Settings and disable encryption (I didn't know this wasn't possible).
- anyways, after the reboot the phone just entered "System destroyed!" and it didn't allow me to enter recovery again. Basically soft bricked.
- took the official Xiaomi MI Flasher and official Stock ROM miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V188.8.131.52.QCOEUXM and flashed the Phone
- all went well, but the boot loader got locked again, I had to unlock it (luckily I didn't need to wait for another 7 days)
Finally, I followed the LOS17.1 official guide:
- installed LOS17.1 recovery (fastboot)
- then started the phone in LOS17.1 recovery, went to Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset - no errors!
- then installed the LOS17.1 zip image from the SDCard
- now I have LOS17.1 running and LOS17.1 recovery
Problem is, LOS17.1 recovery doesn't have a Backup/Restore function and I'd like to use TWRP.
With my latest experience, I'm not sure now if twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img is actually working and looking for advice.