[RECOVERY][3.4.0-10][ginkgo/willow]Off/Unof TWRP for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8/8T (Stable)

Search This thread

wsdyleon

Feb 2, 2012
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
I can confirm the 3.5A9 from geoanto555 does work with encryption for Android 11/MIUI 12.5 (Xiaomi.eu) ROMs - I just used it yesterday.

However, please be warned - geoanto555's version for some weird reason has the /persist and /cust partitions open for formatting - I accidentally wiped my persist partition and had to extract the .img from the fastboot ROM and then flashed it with OrangeFox to get my sensors working again. There is no reason at all that any TWRP should allow you to wipe these partitions, so please be careful when using it.

Also fwiw, flashing the decrypt/dmverity zip after flashing MIUI 12.5 does work for disabling encryption, so you can use TWRP/OrangeFox with Android 11 based ROMs, as long as you're willing to part with encryption
i flashed the vendor ,persist via fastboot,still sensor dead,also tried fastboot official roms,same issue with me.
another,ask for decrypt/dmverity zip,please.
geoanto555's version can format data l
partion ,but still has problem with decrypt on android 11,

CommieColin

Nov 28, 2014
Albany, NY
i flashed the vendor ,persist via fastboot,still sensor dead,also tried fastboot official roms,same issue with me.
another,ask for decrypt/dmverity zip,please.
geoanto555's version can format data l
partion ,but still has problem with decrypt on android 11,
Hey dude, I would highly recommend using OrangeFox recovery to flash the persist.img to your persist partition - here's a guide I wrote about it An Easy Guide to Restoring/Repairing Your Persist Partition on Unlocked Xiaomi Phones | XDA Developers Forums (xda-developers.com)

Reactions: wsdyleon

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Solved

HELP === HELP === HELP!
I need to format (!) my /data partition in TWRP (3.4.0.0-mauronofrio) since I made some mistakes after flasshing a new custom ROM to my Redmi Note 8T (willow) and now try to restore my nandroid (for MSMXtended XQ13, A10).
I successfully flashed the new custom rom (CrDroid 7.3, A11) and succesfully booted the rom. Then I flashed from TWRP magisk-v21.4.zip (without issues) and rebooted. Back in TWRP I realized that I flashed the ROM errounessly without disabling encryption (all folders in /data/media have cryptic names like "8nfut+wi3ZV..." and so far and so on). Thus, my idea was to reflash CrDroid followed by flashing DFE and for doing so to format (!) beforehand /data. But HERE my problems begun: if trying to format /data this failed with several red lines. I flashed the DFE.zip (hoping for a miracle which surely did not happen).

Thus I tried to reflash the CrDroid.zip withouth formatting /data beforehand but ended in a bootloop, thus powered off and booted again to TWRP.

To make my dilemma perfect I did not enable USB debugging (or authorized my PC as accepted device for USB debugging) when I booted into the new ROM (thus a check via "adb devices" does not show my phone).

My hope is to be somehow able to format /data so that I can restore my old nandroid or can again install CrDroid.

For this I also tried to wipe /data (not possible) in TWRP and also to format /data from curently f2fs to a different file system (via TWRP/Wipe/Advanced Wipe/Repair of Change File System) or to choose here "Repair File System". I also opened the Terminal within TWRP (but honestly do not know if I could solve the problem from here).

To make it short: nothing helped me to get /data formatted.

And since not being an expert I fear that I have now a serious problem...

After all these useless attempts the result if trying to format /data is like this:
---
E: Unable to decrypt FBE device
E: PageManager::LoadFileToBuffer failed to open '/data/system/storage.xml' - (Invalid argument)

Updating partition details ...
Error opening: '/data/misc/recovery" (Operation not permitted)
Error opening '/data/misc/bluedroid" (Operation not permitted)

[and so far and so on for several lines, then]
...done
Full SELinux support is present.
MTP Enabled
Wiping data without wiping /data/media...
Error opening: '/data' (Operation not permitted)
Error changing file system.

[and so far and so on for several lines, then]
...done
Failed to unmount '/data' (Device or resource busy)
cd "/data" && cd.. && mv "/data" "dataold" process ended with ERROR: 1
rm -rf "/data" process ended with Error: 1
Failed to unmount '/data" (Device or resource busy)

[and so far and so on for several lines, then ending with]
Error opening: '/data/ssh/empty' (Opeation not permitted)
...done

IS THERE ANYBODY WHO CAN GIVE ME SOME HELP TO GET MY PHONE WORKING AGAIN? I GUESS IF I CAN FORMAT /data I WILL BE ABLE TO RESTORE MY OLD ROM.

Thanks in advance!!!

Edit: Thanks to the solution proposed by breadpitt I could solve the problem!

Last edited:

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Try this...

go to recovery > unmount > unmount data and disable mtp > format data
Thanks! I wasn't able to clear the tick at "data" thus I can't unmount "data" but disabling MTP and then trying to format "data" led to another result than previously. I'm just checking if I can now restore my nandroid and will let you know. Thanks so far!

EDIT: Your proposed way (disabling MTP) worked, although the subsequent formatting showed some "red lines" but obviously /data was formatted so that I could restore my nandroid. As correctly mentioned by MichaelMay (even with somehow harsh words) I do not at all understand WHY this worked. Again, thanks for your very prompt answer!(y):giggle:

Last edited:

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
It doesn't recognise the encryption, how worthless would the encryption be if you could hack it like that? You need a proper recovery that can unencrypt data or you can't format it either.

READ THE THREAD. USE THE SOLUTION PRESENTED!

There are multiple links to the solution, it's 3.4A9 by geoanto555 which will work fine for you.

All that time to post that and you could have spent 10 seconds reading the thread and found the solution ON THE SAME PAGE as your post?

Actually, just restore the original, this whole thing with following simple instructions and reading is too hard for you so you should never, ever use any custom recovery or ROM until you have learned to do that.
First of all thanks for your fast reaction to my issue - really acknowledged. Indeed I saw the postings regarding a proper custom recovery but I thought this way of replacing the recovery is blocked for me since I "locked me out" for any flashings via PC. I later realized that I can flash another recovery from within TWRP and therefore indeed downloaded the latest Mauronofrio, the greek one and Orangefox BUT as correctly recognized by you since I am despite the charming "Senior Member" status not at all "senior" in tems of custom rom flashing etc. I didn't want to make things worse at a step where maybe other solutions from helpful dudes like breadpitt and eventually you could prevent me from nuking my phone. And finally, regarding your comment "so you should never, ever use any custom recovery or ROM until you have learned to do that": trying somethings beyond the current experience (including running into issues which hopefully can be solved with the help from more experienced guys) is the way I try to gain more and more experience and to "learn to do that". Beyond my personal impression that you sometimes prefer a rather blunt or rude tone in your posts, I appreciate your willingness to help others who have an issue like me. Therefore, thanks for your answer.

Top Liked Posts