[RECOVERY][3.4.0-10][ginkgo/willow]Off/Unof TWRP for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8/8T (Stable)

Search This thread

Primezoop

Nov 17, 2015
I'm trying to install the new magisk but it has a different process and it looks like I will have to patch my recovery.img file. I'm not sure if this relates to TWRP or my rom, ressurection remix. I'm guessing TWRP but I'm not sure where to find that file. Could someone help me out? I'm not sure where to start. Thank you so much

Freizer_G

Sep 8, 2020
Nakuru
Hi have been using twrp and updated magisk to version 22.0 when I reboot phone goes back to the device is destroyed. Flashing twrp and vbmeta again give a feedback

target didn't report max-download-size
Failed (Command write failed (No error))

Need some help!!

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1091515468170172019.jpg
    tmp-cam-1091515468170172019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Freizer_G

Sep 8, 2020
Nakuru
Hi have been using twrp and updated magisk to version 22.0 when I reboot phone goes back to the device is destroyed. Flashing twrp and vbmeta again give a feedback

target didn't report max-download-size
Failed (Command write failed (No error))

Need some help!!
Found a fix.
Update windows adb composite drivers and fastboot drivers, If running windows 7 like me update all Android drivers from the web.
Flash orange fox recovery.img file then flash vbmeta.img
Boot to recovery with volume up button and power button. NB: do not use fastboot boot recovery command this returns to system is destroyed screen!!!
In orange fox recovery flash twrp.img latest version. It will reboot to twrp automatically.
In twrp flash any older version of magisk preferably any 21. version and safely wait for another update. The 22.0 version patches both boot and recovery files.
Tried it 3 times before posting. Thanks guys.

Reactions: drdtyc and wsdyleon

wsdyleon

Feb 2, 2012
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
Found a fix.
Update windows adb composite drivers and fastboot drivers, If running windows 7 like me update all Android drivers from the web.
Flash orange fox recovery.img file then flash vbmeta.img
Boot to recovery with volume up button and power button. NB: do not use fastboot boot recovery command this returns to system is destroyed screen!!!
In orange fox recovery flash twrp.img latest version. It will reboot to twrp automatically.
In twrp flash any older version of magisk preferably any 21. version and safely wait for another update. The 22.0 version patches both boot and recovery files.
Tried it 3 times before posting. Thanks guys.
good tips

Reactions: Freizer_G

jakip61315

Apr 14, 2021
Just to note, this doesn't work for any of the problems with newer encryption or different encryption models.

Every ROM builder also builds a recovery with that ROM, it might be a pain in the arse to use it and you can't just flip ROM's with it but if you are having problems, don't blame the devs unless they didn't post the applicable recovery with the ROM.

I'm moving to the newer and better supported hardware file based encryption and for that you'll have to use my recovery. I'm building a TWRP as well but the code is so very old for that crap that I don't think it's useful anymore (same goes for orangefox and pitchblack).
I for one, cannot wait for this recovery... Wonder how many devices you are gonna brick this time Mr. Meh.

Reactions: NeoPreacher

helloyello

Feb 11, 2020
Hi folks,

I'm waiting for unlocking my boot loader from Xiaomi and considering to flash LOS 17.1 on my Note 8. Stumbled upon this thread and got worried now that I might not be able to use TWRP to backup/restore LOS 17.1 , since it's based on Android 10 and as I read in this thread, it looks like TWRP has issues with it.

I have some other Samsung phone where I had to run some commands to fix the root partition after restoring LOS 17.1 with TWRP.

Can someone confirm or provide more details over which TWRP image (if any) I should use that wold work fine with the official LOS 17.1 Note 8 - ginko from here:

Thanks in advance!

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Hi folks,

I'm waiting for unlocking my boot loader from Xiaomi and considering to flash LOS 17.1 on my Note 8. Stumbled upon this thread and got worried now that I might not be able to use TWRP to backup/restore LOS 17.1 , since it's based on Android 10 and as I read in this thread, it looks like TWRP has issues with it.

I have some other Samsung phone where I had to run some commands to fix the root partition after restoring LOS 17.1 with TWRP.

Can someone confirm or provide more details over which TWRP image (if any) I should use that wold work fine with the official LOS 17.1 Note 8 - ginko from here:

Thanks in advance!
Should be working with e. g. this recovery: twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img. I am running Dark Joker's LOS18.1 which is Android 11. Join his telegram group if you feel unsure, he is very very helpful to answer questions (but as written above you should not expect issues with this recovery).

Reactions: helloyello

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!
... and if you chose LOS17.1 because it is named "official" whereas his LOS18.1 is named "unofficial" please consider his explanation (taken from his telegram channel):

=====
Once for all. Why there's no official 18.1?

I am not providing LineageOS 18.1 official because I have to upstream 17.1 trees to 18.1 and I already did it and I have a bugless 18.1 since November 2020.

Why I am not applying then? Because there is an issue since 17.1 preventing me to update blobs because there will be mismatch with our display hal resulting in bootloop. This can be solved by using BSP blobs but LineageOS won't allow using them and those are necessary to boot 18.1. Also keeping old display hal will make sources failing to build.

Looking to new trees, currently used in 18.1 builds, we have a better notch cutout, a better performances, blobs (almost all) and kernel full updated to R and everything is perfect.

Of course I want to bring the same support as official builds because I would happy to provide it for you and for me.
So I made my own infrastructure with automatic builds and everything like official builds.

The reason is not that I don't want to provide it, it's just a worth move to provide the best support you can have.
===

In my experience LOS18.1 is very stable and well maintained.

Reactions: dxD7

helloyello

Feb 11, 2020
Well, I managed to soft brick the phone with twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img ... System destroyed!

Phone is Xiaomi Note 8, recently bought, loaded from factory with: miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V12.0.6.0.QCOEUXM

I did the following:
- unlocked the boot loader by following Xiaomi's official Guides and Tools (had to wait 7 days)
- prepared a SDCard with the LOS17.1 zip image and the VBMETA PATCHER and inserted it into the phone
- flashed twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img (fastboot) and restarted in recovery mode (TWRP)
- tried to apply the VBMETA PATCHER and got into a lot of errors - mainly permission & not found - a lot of red lines
- then I tried to create a backup from the Stock ROM by selecting all partitions (not only data & system), this one failed too with errors like:
E:Unable to decrypt FBE device
Updating partition details...
Error opening: '/data/misc/recovery' (Operation not permitted)
I:Real error: Unable to stat '/data/misc/recovery'
... ending with:
I:Error writing destination fd (Operation not permitted)
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.
- then I tried to prepare for the LOS17.1 installation, while still in TWRP I went to Wipe > format data (again a lot of permission errors) - then in Advanced Wipe -> wipe: system & data & cache (again errors)
- next stage, I thought that the wiping wasn't actually successful and exited TWRP - restarting the phone, was considering to enter the stock Android Settings and disable encryption (I didn't know this wasn't possible).
- anyways, after the reboot the phone just entered "System destroyed!" and it didn't allow me to enter recovery again. Basically soft bricked.
- took the official Xiaomi MI Flasher and official Stock ROM miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V12.0.6.0.QCOEUXM and flashed the Phone
- all went well, but the boot loader got locked again, I had to unlock it (luckily I didn't need to wait for another 7 days)

Finally, I followed the LOS17.1 official guide:
- installed LOS17.1 recovery (fastboot)
- then started the phone in LOS17.1 recovery, went to Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset - no errors!
- then installed the LOS17.1 zip image from the SDCard
- now I have LOS17.1 running and LOS17.1 recovery

Problem is, LOS17.1 recovery doesn't have a Backup/Restore function and I'd like to use TWRP.
With my latest experience, I'm not sure now if twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img is actually working and looking for advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wsdyleon

Feb 2, 2012
@Uluru25

Thanks for the hints with the TWRP. As for LOS18.1, well, it looks like even 17.1 is too new for the available tools ;)
yes,the easiest way to solve “system destroyed” is flashing the fastboot rom。
yet,the best way to solve “system destroyed” is using “fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img” through android paltfrom
tools .then flash(unlocked)twrp,once your system has encrypted,your reboot will come to “system destroyed” or your twrp would be overwrite again,so i advise you boot twrp,and flash "disable dm verity forceencrypt 20201008.zip"and magisk.zip

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy A6
Well, I managed to soft brick the phone with twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img ... System destroyed!

Phone is Xiaomi Note 8, recently bought, loaded from factory with: miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V12.0.6.0.QCOEUXM

I did the following:
- unlocked the boot loader by following Xiaomi's official Guides and Tools (had to wait 7 days)
- prepared a SDCard with the LOS17.1 zip image and the VBMETA PATCHER and inserted it into the phone
- flashed twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img (fastboot) and restarted in recovery mode (TWRP)
- tried to apply the VBMETA PATCHER and got into a lot of errors - mainly permission & not found - a lot of red lines
- then I tried to create a backup from the Stock ROM by selecting all partitions (not only data & system), this one failed too with errors like:
E:Unable to decrypt FBE device
Updating partition details...
Error opening: '/data/misc/recovery' (Operation not permitted)
I:Real error: Unable to stat '/data/misc/recovery'
... ending with:
I:Error writing destination fd (Operation not permitted)
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.
- then I tried to prepare for the LOS17.1 installation, while still in TWRP I went to Wipe > format data (again a lot of permission errors) - then in Advanced Wipe -> wipe: system & data & cache (again errors)
- next stage, I thought that the wiping wasn't actually successful and exited TWRP - restarting the phone, was considering to enter the stock Android Settings and disable encryption (I didn't know this wasn't possible).
- anyways, after the reboot the phone just entered "System destroyed!" and it didn't allow me to enter recovery again. Basically soft bricked.
- took the official Xiaomi MI Flasher and official Stock ROM miui_GINKGOEEAGlobal_V12.0.6.0.QCOEUXM and flashed the Phone
- all went well, but the boot loader got locked again, I had to unlock it (luckily I didn't need to wait for another 7 days)

Finally, I followed the LOS17.1 official guide:
- installed LOS17.1 recovery (fastboot)
- then started the phone in LOS17.1 recovery, went to Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset - no errors!
- then installed the LOS17.1 zip image from the SDCard
- now I have LOS17.1 running and LOS17.1 recovery

Problem is, LOS17.1 recovery doesn't have a Backup/Restore function and I'd like to use TWRP.
With my latest experience, I'm not sure now if twrp-3.4.0-10-ginkgo-mauronofrio.img is actually working and looking for advice.

Thanks!
From my experience 3.4.0-10 will work. Your success was not because of using LOS-recovery but because of FORMATTING (!) /data in your second trial. Now you can flash the mauronofrio (or any other recovery) from within the recovery. Last point from my side. The first thing I do after having unlocked the bootloader (even before flashing magisk) is to let the phone normally boot, then rebooting into recovery and making a full backup of all partitions.

NEROVINCIO

Feb 7, 2012
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

Features:
- Decryption works
- Otg works
- Backups works
- Flash Rom works
- F2FS support
- Fastboot boot command support
- Compatibility.zip error fixed
- Willow fully supported
- Android 11 Decryption

Download:
TWRP 3.4.0-10 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Unofficial by mauronofrio

TWRP 3.3.1-10 Unofficial by mauronofrio / Sourceforge
TWRP 3.3.1-9 Unofficial by mauronofrio / Mediafire
TWRP 3.3.1-8 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP Official Builds
TWRP 3.3.1-5 Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-2 Unofficial by mauronofrio

To Flash the TWRP:
if it's the first time you flash the TWRP or you are getting problems of TWRP lost or device doesn't boot after flashed magisk or something else you need to flash a script to patch your vbmeta:
VBMETA PATCHER
To flash the TWRP:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-xx-xxxxxx-mauronofrio.img
Then reboot in TWRP manually or using a fastboot command.
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-xx-xxxxxx-mauronofrio.img
or
Code:
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
Flash the VBMETA PATCHER and reboot.
REMEMBER: is important that from fastboot you directly go in TWRP mode or the TWRP will be overwritten.

Reccomended ADB and Fastboot binaries:

Adb and Fastboot Installer

Source code:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_xiaomi_ginkgo
Using precompiled stock kernel

My Telegram TWRP Support Group:
https://t.me/twrp_Mauronofrio

Donations:

Credits:
Thanks to @ash4win for the first test

Created 2019-11-04

Hi, after fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and fastboot boot recovery.img (both appears in cmd as OKAY and with the finished time) it doesn't reboot into TWRP, and when I reboot manually (volume up + power) the phone enters in MI-recovery. I tried with orangefox too, but same results. how can I fix it?

wsdyleon

Feb 2, 2012
Hi, after fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and fastboot boot recovery.img (both appears in cmd as OKAY and with the finished time) it doesn't reboot into TWRP, and when I reboot manually (volume up + power) the phone enters in MI-recovery. I tried with orangefox too, but same results. how can I fix it?
unlocked,and make sure you succeed,then reboot into recovery manually

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
so what's going on with this phone/recovery?

I'm using the official TWRP documentation and it's not letting me access the data partition (encryption issue likely)

should I be using a different (unofficial) version of TWRP linked in the OP? I was just downloading the official binary and then using the instructions here but that doesn't seem to be working

can someone point to a post/thread explaining the steps that are CURRENT and up to date?

thank you in advance

Cristina.D.M

Dec 31, 2020
so what's going on with this phone/recovery?

I'm using the official TWRP documentation and it's not letting me access the data partition (encryption issue likely)

should I be using a different (unofficial) version of TWRP linked in the OP? I was just downloading the official binary and then using the instructions here but that doesn't seem to be working

can someone point to a post/thread explaining the steps that are CURRENT and up to date?

thank you in advance
I have this issue too, and fix it with OrangeFox-ginkgo-stable.R11.0_1.zip.
I dont recommand unofficial TWRP.

Could you test sideload function?
Coz I have tried twrp-3.5.2_9-0-ginkgo.img, twrp-3.5.1_9-0-ginkgo.img, OrangeFox-ginkgo-stable.R11.0_1.zip.
None of them can start sideload.

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
I have this issue too, and fix it with OrangeFox-ginkgo-stable.R11.0_1.zip.
I dont recommand unofficial TWRP.

Could you test sideload function?
Coz I have tried twrp-3.5.2_9-0-ginkgo.img, twrp-3.5.1_9-0-ginkgo.img, OrangeFox-ginkgo-stable.R11.0_1.zip.
None of them can start sideload.
I did try sideloading the verity disable zip file and it fails when trying to execute the script

Top Liked Posts