[RECOVERY][3.4.0-10][U][guacamole]Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 7 Pro

Search This thread

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I'm in the same boat. When using TWRP for backup under OOS 10, I usually back up the /boot, /system, /data, and /vendor partitions. If I have messed up my device for some reason, I can always go to TWRP and do a restore, and my device will be back in the exact state that it was in at the time of the backup.

I'm looking for a way to accomplish the same thing without TWRP under OOS 11 when encrypted -- or under any encrypted Android 11 ROM, for that matter. Until I find something suitable, I also am remaining with OOS 10.

Perhaps could something like this done by using the "dd" command?
Last summer, I wrote a script that will copy all of my "B" partitions to their corresponding "A" partitions using the "dd" utility. I'm thinking that maybe I can write a variation of this which copies all of my partition data ("A" and "B") to a directory which I can then save onto my desktop computer via "adb pull". Then, I think I could write something which copies in the other direction and restores this partition data. I'm guessing that this could provide similar functionality to nandroid backup and restore.

I'm going to work on this in my spare time and see if I can come up with a way to run this under Android 11 without TWRP.

This is the discussion of the script that I wrote last summer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ices-platforms.2239421/page-142#post-83389563

Chrypsisilon

Jun 29, 2016
Same here, just need it for Backup and Restore.

Don't understand why Phone Developers not have been able to Support such an eays and important function.

Does someone know it this would bring sometthing to ask for it by OnePlus?!

Ph0enix_216

Aug 23, 2013
/system/xbin/su
OnePlus 7 Pro
Same here, just need it for Backup and Restore.

Don't understand why Phone Developers not have been able to Support such an eays and important function.

Does someone know it this would bring sometthing to ask for it by OnePlus?!
TWRP is a community project, OnePlus won't help. They only thing they really have to do is release the kernel source code for their devices, which they've always been pretty good at.

Developers work on these things in their spare time - keep in mind, they do have their own lives they lead. That's why a lot of these projects are open source - so that anybody with the time and knowledge can contribute, not just the main dev.

Also, 10 to 11 is a big jump for Android, just like every release - Google always switches up the way things function under the hood, which means the community devs have to figure out how everything work, so they can update accordingly.

TL,DR: It's a process, just be patient :)

refedit

Oct 18, 2012
Hey guys sorry for asking.
Can't find anymore the post about how to upgrade from A10 to A11 without losing anything like it happened to me a month ago.
Can I upgrade to 11.0.0.2 or should I go first with 11.0.0.1?
best regards

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Reactions: refedit

Mohitash

• Aug 8, 2012
    Panchkula, Chandigarh
    OnePlus 7 Pro
    Hi friends
    I am sharing some strange thing I have experience recently few days back while I was trying my new magisk mod/rom on device. If you are really interested please read fully and reply so that this can help me and others..
    That mod is just a number tweaks of kernels nad etc also with some framwork files with a patch. It was working fine...but after rechecking 3rd time...and reboot.

All of a sudden I lost root but magisk was there but it recommended me to get back to stock manger that is non-hidden. I was using hidden mode. And I did the same.
    Then when I opened magisk manager , there was only one option to install magisk with patch boot image. But actually this was also not working, when I tried to patch it always get stuck.
    As I was still decrypted, uninstalled magisk (magisk binaries were still there)
    Installed v21.4 magisk with twrp and reboot
    Not helped. I tried everything but not helped. I was not having a root and was not able to get it.
    Then I did a bad mistake. Uninstalled magisk with uninstaller in twrp
    Now my device get encrypted
    Stuck at boot logo

Now here comes strange things
    "Suddenly my device goes to "Qualcomm crash dump mode".
    I forced my device to switch off and booted it to fastboot mode then flashed stock oos 10 rom with wipe data settings successfully and reboot. After boot It was still oos 11 with factory reset. And with Device encrypted.
    Now again booted to fastboot and flashed oos 10 again just for a check.
    Now stuck at fastboot flash
    Again forced my device to switch off and boot to fastboot. This time I flash twrp
    And that worked"
    Now booted to twrp and flash oos 11, magisk and safe same steps that I have mentioned in my past post in this thread and booted and everything is fine now. And I am with my great mod on oos 11. Everything is fine.
    What I got in my mind is when the issue started it was something about magisk and hide manager issue...may be...

The bold part is very strange thing that I have not experienced before on any device.

Reactions: HippoMan

Phoenix 15 A

Jan 13, 2019
    Houghton, MI
    Hi friends
    I am sharing some strange thing I have experience recently few days back while I was trying my new magisk mod/rom on device. If you are really interested please read fully and reply so that this can help me and others..
    That mod is just a number tweaks of kernels nad etc also with some framwork files with a patch. It was working fine...but after rechecking 3rd time...and reboot.

All of a sudden I lost root but magisk was there but it recommended me to get back to stock manger that is non-hidden. I was using hidden mode. And I did the same.
    Then when I opened magisk manager , there was only one option to install magisk with patch boot image. But actually this was also not working, when I tried to patch it always get stuck.
    As I was still decrypted, uninstalled magisk (magisk binaries were still there)
    Installed v21.4 magisk with twrp and reboot
    Not helped. I tried everything but not helped. I was not having a root and was not able to get it.
    Then I did a bad mistake. Uninstalled magisk with uninstaller in twrp
    Now my device get encrypted
    Stuck at boot logo

Now here comes strange things
    "Suddenly my device goes to "Qualcomm crash dump mode".
    I forced my device to switch off and booted it to fastboot mode then flashed stock oos 10 rom with wipe data settings successfully and reboot. After boot It was still oos 11 with factory reset. And with Device encrypted.
    Now again booted to fastboot and flashed oos 10 again just for a check.
    Now stuck at fastboot flash
    Again forced my device to switch off and boot to fastboot. This time I flash twrp
    And that worked"
    Now booted to twrp and flash oos 11, magisk and safe same steps that I have mentioned in my past post in this thread and booted and everything is fine now. And I am with my great mod on oos 11. Everything is fine.
    What I got in my mind is when the issue started it was something about magisk and hide manager issue...may be...

The bold part is very strange thing that I have not experienced before on any device.
    I've had this Qualcomm crash too. Never found a satisfactory answer to why. At the time of my series of crashes I had twrp and magisk installed. I couldn't OTA custom ROM either but I could manually install update. I read on the magisk site you can't have twrp and magisk installed. So I uninstalled twrp and kept magisk. That seemed to work for awhile, but then crashes started again. I had no modules installed either. So I got rid of magisk and haven't had a problem since. Any chance you have Verizon service? I do, my Dev blames the crashes on Verizon. Says it's a black box, and he has to make educated guesses to make this work. He hates Verizon. Other posts around the internet blame hardware failures. Maybe, but my money goes to twrp/magisk. Whatever the problem is, it's isolated. It will make it hard to catch and fix. ROM Dev said no one else has reported the problem. I would love to find an answer.

Reactions: Mohitash

Mohitash

• Aug 8, 2012
    Panchkula, Chandigarh
    OnePlus 7 Pro
    I've had this Qualcomm crash too. Never found a satisfactory answer to why. At the time of my series of crashes I had twrp and magisk installed. I couldn't OTA custom ROM either but I could manually install update. I read on the magisk site you can't have twrp and magisk installed. So I uninstalled twrp and kept magisk. That seemed to work for awhile, but then crashes started again. I had no modules installed either. So I got rid of magisk and haven't had a problem since. Any chance you have Verizon service? I do, my Dev blames the crashes on Verizon. Says it's a black box, and he has to make educated guesses to make this work. He hates Verizon. Other posts around the internet blame hardware failures. Maybe, but my money goes to twrp/magisk. Whatever the problem is, it's isolated. It will make it hard to catch and fix. ROM Dev said no one else has reported the problem. I would love to find an answer.

Interesting...but still confusing.
    Well my device is nowhere Verizon
    And In my case my guess for this crash is Magisk/TWRP only.

NitayMa'ah

May 24, 2021
    Hello, excuse me for dumb questions as I'm quite dumb about this topic, also English isn't my first language.

I have Oneplus 7 Pro with android 11 release updated from my settings app when OOS11 was available there, my device had root in the past (with OOS10, so the device is already unlocked), while trying to root my device I've encountered a problem which I didn't encounter before, these were my steps:

1. I use Forget Windows Use Linux for adb and Fastboot functions instead of installing windows tools.

2. Downloaded:
    - OOS11 release (from Oneplus official site) and used payload dumper to get my devices images (just in case)
    - Magisk.zip installer and placed it in my phones storage.
    - TWRP latest version for Oneplus 7 Pro from TWRP official site.

3. Booted to FWUL and connected my phone.

4. Enabled USB debugging in my phone, ran <adb devices -l> and it returned this:

List of devices attached
    ******** device usb:1-9 product:OnePlus7Pro model:GM1913 device:OnePlus7Pro transport_id:10

(Device ID is censored because I don't know if it is sensitive or not)

5. Rebooted my phone to fastboot \ bootloader.

6. Ran <fastboot devices> and my phone was detected

7. Ran <fastboot boot [image path]/twrp.img> returned this:

Sending 'boot.img' (33236 KB) OKAY [ 0.958s]
    Booting OKAY [ 0.132s]
    Finished. Total time: 1.110s

8. Phone got stuck on this screen (view picture attached to post)

*A few side notes:
    - Phone wasn't unresponsive, just failed to load the TWRP image, I still could run fastboot commands on it.
    - After failing to boot into custom recovery I tried to download a lot of different TWRP version I found on this thread and none of them worked.
    - Photo was found on the internet but still represents my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A-guide-to-boot-your-OnePlus-5-into-Recovery-Mode-1024x683.jpg
      A-guide-to-boot-your-OnePlus-5-into-Recovery-Mode-1024x683.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 64

Phoenix 15 A

Jan 13, 2019
    Houghton, MI
    Hello, excuse me for dumb questions as I'm quite dumb about this topic, also English isn't my first language.

I have Oneplus 7 Pro with android 11 release updated from my settings app when OOS11 was available there, my device had root in the past (with OOS10, so the device is already unlocked), while trying to root my device I've encountered a problem which I didn't encounter before, these were my steps:

1. I use Forget Windows Use Linux for adb and Fastboot functions instead of installing windows tools.

2. Downloaded:
    - OOS11 release (from Oneplus official site) and used payload dumper to get my devices images (just in case)
    - Magisk.zip installer and placed it in my phones storage.
    - TWRP latest version for Oneplus 7 Pro from TWRP official site.

3. Booted to FWUL and connected my phone.

4. Enabled USB debugging in my phone, ran <adb devices -l> and it returned this:

List of devices attached
    ******** device usb:1-9 product:OnePlus7Pro model:GM1913 device:OnePlus7Pro transport_id:10

(Device ID is censored because I don't know if it is sensitive or not)

5. Rebooted my phone to fastboot \ bootloader.

6. Ran <fastboot devices> and my phone was detected

7. Ran <fastboot boot [image path]/twrp.img> returned this:

Sending 'boot.img' (33236 KB) OKAY [ 0.958s]
    Booting OKAY [ 0.132s]
    Finished. Total time: 1.110s

8. Phone got stuck on this screen (view picture attached to post)

*A few side notes:
    - Phone wasn't unresponsive, just failed to load the TWRP image, I still could run fastboot commands on it.
    - After failing to boot into custom recovery I tried to download a lot of different TWRP version I found on this thread and none of them worked.
    - Photo was found on the internet but still represents my situation.

Thanks in advance.
    Um- as far as I know, there isn't a working twrp for a11. There are guides to down grade your phone to a10. You might have to use msm tool to fix. There is a guide for that also.

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
    Hippoland
    Um- as far as I know, there isn't a working twrp for a11. There are guides to down grade your phone to a10. You might have to use msm tool to fix. There is a guide for that also.

TWRP can work with the A11 guacamole ROM's if you first disable DM-Verity/Force-Encrypt.
    Check out these instructions:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...overy-for-oneplus-7-pro.3931322/post-84727891

Some of us re-post this link here approximately once a week or even more frequently. Please read the recent messages in this thread.

Last edited:

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
    Hippoland
    Oh, I see, thank you but this is too complicated for me, I'd rather just wait for a twrp release that supports android 11
    I totally understand. I am staying with OOS 10.3.8 on my main device because A11 makes things so much more complicated.

I have a second OnePlus 7Pro with a broken screen that I use for experimenting with various A11 ROM's. I haven't found one yet which I would want to use day-to-day.

If TWRP ever starts working under A11, I might revise that decision, but not until then.

Last edited:

Unknowx

Aug 19, 2018
    Hello everyone! I'm not interested in twrp for now so I'd like to know if i can root and install magisk. I have just updated op7 pro EU 11.0.1.1 and bootloader unlocked.

Thx

Top Liked Posts