• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][3.4.0-10][Unified]Official/Unofficial TWRP for OnePlus 7/7 pro/5G (Stable)

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5408779

There's no twrp for Q yet you need to patch the boot image with magisk if you want root. You can read 2 pages back how to.

I was on OxygenOS 9.5.8 and tried something today.

1. installed Magisk 19.4 Canary
2. installed Android Q DP4 via Updater app
3. flashed TWRP with Magisk
4. installed Magisk (inaktiv Slot)
5. Before reboot into system i rebooted into TWRP and checked if TWRP still works and it worked!
6. rebooted System and it booted successfully with magisk installed

TWRP is also avaliable but storage isnt supported. To flash something you need to do that via OTG.

Cheers!

Reactions: strongst

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
I was on OxygenOS 9.5.8 and tried something today.

1. installed Magisk 19.4 Canary
2. installed Android Q DP4 via Updater app
3. flashed TWRP with Magisk
4. installed Magisk (inaktiv Slot)
5. Before reboot into system i rebooted into TWRP and checked if TWRP still works and it worked!
6. rebooted System and it booted successfully with magisk installed

TWRP is also avaliable but storage isnt supported. To flash something you need to do that via OTG.

Cheers!
Oh, that's good news when storage via OTG is working:good:

pycxe-01

Feb 22, 2011
Oulu
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 8T
Ah yes. The correct way should be:
Flash rom.zip
Flash twrp installer.zip
Reboot to recovery
Flash magisk
Reboot device

Do we simply flash TWRP installer.zip the same way we do with ROM.zip? Or should we flash TWRP from "Advanced" section, using "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option? What is the difference between those two methods?

FYI: I'm going to update from rooted 9.5.7.GM57BA to 9.5.8.GM57BA & currently doing my research so that I don't lose anything during the procedure.

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
Do we simply flash TWRP installer.zip the same way we do with ROM.zip? Or should we flash TWRP from "Advanced" section, using "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option? What is the difference between those two methods?

FYI: I'm going to update from rooted 9.5.7.GM57BA to 9.5.8.GM57BA & currently doing my research so that I don't lose anything during the procedure.
"Install Recovery Ramdisk" twrp.img is possible since the contribution of Magisk with twrp to patch the boot.img itself without magisk and without an installer script(zip). That's possible since twrp version 3.3.0. Before you need the installer script for a/b partition devices.
So you can use the old method as long as installer scripts are available or the new one

Reactions: pycxe-01
D

Deleted member 5408779

Flashing TWRP using ramdisk thing works without magisk.

Flashing twrp installer.zip the usual way needs magisk.

That's how I understand that.

Reactions: pycxe-01

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Hello,
I ran into an issue today.

1- I downloaded the update through the phones updater. (9.5.8 BA. Full ZIP (2Go))
2- I went into TWRP and flashed latest twrp unofficial installer.
3- I flashed magisk
4- I rebooted into twrp, latest unofficial
5- Flashed OTA file from .OTA folder.
6- Flashed latest TWRP unofficial installer
7- Flashed magisk

=> stuck in bootloop.

Only fix was to go into twrp and manually select the other Slot, which worked thank god.
Anyone has a clue what I did wrong?

D

Deleted member 5408779

Hello,
I ran into an issue today.

1- I downloaded the update through the phones updater. (9.5.8 BA. Full ZIP (2Go))
2- I went into TWRP and flashed latest twrp unofficial installer.
3- I flashed magisk
4- I rebooted into twrp, latest unofficial
5- Flashed OTA file from .OTA folder.
6- Flashed latest TWRP unofficial installer
7- Flashed magisk

=> stuck in bootloop.

Only fix was to go into twrp and manually select the other Slot, which worked thank god.
Anyone has a clue what I did wrong?

1. Flash OTA.zip
2. Flash twrp installer
3. Reboot into recovery
4. Flash magisk
5. Reboot system.

This should work. I got some problems too in the past when I tried to directly flash magisk after OTA.zip.

Reactions: mauronofrio

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
1. Flash OTA.zip
2. Flash twrp installer
3. Reboot into recovery
4. Flash magisk
5. Reboot system.

This should work. I got some problems too in the past when I tried to directly flash magisk after OTA.zip.

Not working :(

After rebooting to TWRP it was already prompting me about the keeping read only, and no data available. Same symptoms as before.

pycxe-01

Feb 22, 2011
Oulu
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 8T
1. Flash OTA.zip
2. Flash twrp installer
3. Reboot into recovery
4. Flash magisk
5. Reboot system.

This method didn't work for me either. Though, I've got to admit that on step 2. I've flashed TWRP.img through Advanced Settings. Otherwise, the system booted up just fine but I ended up in 9.5.7.GM57BA again i.e. no system update has occurred!

Thereafter I've tried the 2nd update method:

1. System Update - Local upgrade, no reboot
2. Magisk Manager - Modules - flash TWRP installer.zip

However, it was unclear in our topic instructions what would be the next move. Should we also flash Magisk here? So, I've restarted the phone & ended up in 9.5.8.GM57BA with TWRP & Magisk Manager but no root. Had to boot into TWRP & flash Magisk from there + re-flash YouTube module from within Magisk Manager & do another restart coz this module never survives System Updates.

Overall, I've got my System Update & everything seems working. BUT, I felt like the instructions that are provided herein could be a little more coherent & detailed.

D

Deleted member 5408779

Not working :(

After rebooting to TWRP it was already prompting me about the keeping read only, and no data available. Same symptoms as before.

Oh okay. That's strange.

This method didn't work for me either. Though, I've got to admit that on step 2. I've flashed TWRP.img through Advanced Settings. Otherwise, the system booted up just fine but I ended up in 9.5.7.GM57BA again i.e. no system update has occurred!

Thereafter I've tried the 2nd update method:

1. System Update - Local upgrade, no reboot
2. Magisk Manager - Modules - flash TWRP installer.zip

However, it was unclear in our topic instructions what would be the next move. Should we also flash Magisk here? So, I've restarted the phone & ended up in 9.5.8.GM57BA with TWRP & Magisk Manager but no root. Had to boot into TWRP & flash Magisk from there + re-flash YouTube module from within Magisk Manager & do another restart coz this module never survives System Updates.

Overall, I've got my System Update & everything seems working. BUT, I felt like the instructions that are provided herein could be a little more coherent & detailed.

Yes you need to install magisk.

1. Install OTA trough local Updater
2. Flash TWRP trough Magisk
3. Install magisk to inaktiv Slot (after OTA)
4. Reboot.

This also worked for me on Q Beta 4. I have Q Beta 4 with working TWRP.

BTW... This method is written in OP.

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Oh okay. That's strange.

Yes you need to install magisk.

1. Install OTA trough local Updater
2. Flash TWRP trough Magisk
3. Install magisk to inaktiv Slot (after OTA)
4. Reboot.

This also worked for me on Q Beta 4. I have Q Beta 4 with working TWRP.

BTW... This method is written in OP.

Same issue using that procedure... I'm getting crazy here.

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
D

Deleted member 5408779

Yes I confirm that it works great on Android Q. Also internal storage is supported.

Reactions: arvindgr

KapilNagpal01

Jul 31, 2019
Yes I confirm that it works great on Android Q. Also internal storage is supported.
Sir could you please elaborate how did you install it. Please if possible in simple detail. Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

TWRP 3.3.1-52 Guacamole Unified (OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Pro 5G):
- Added Android Q support (This Twrp will support also Android Pie).

TWRP 3.3.1-52 Unified Unofficial by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-52 Unified Unofficial Installer by mauronofrio

Thanks to @twinnfamous for the help

P.s. if you want to use it on Android Q you can also flash the installer using magisk manager.

Dear Sir,
Your support to the community is invaluable. Thanks for your time and hard work. May God Bless you always

Reactions: mauronofrio

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
Hi to all guys, I'm working hard to give you the best TWRP as soon as possible and i think i'm doing this good.
Now I want to ask you to support me, you can do this in 2 methods:

You all already know the first one: Donations. Through Donations sometimes i can buy newer devices or a device i'm already supporting to support it better. ( Actually I'm building K20 Pro and Mi 9 TWRP without having them for example). In all cases I don't want you to donate to receive, in all cases I will continue to support this and other devices. In all cases I don't want you to donate to receive, in all cases I will continue to support this and other devices. Donate only if you appreciate my work and have the pleasure of doing it
Donation Link:

The second method is starring my projects on github, this part is really important for me because more stars means more visibility and therefore more collaborations. Also in this case i don't want you star all my projects regardless, do it only if you appreciate my work and only for the device you have. Starring projects it's free and to do it you need only of a github account. If you want to star a project, just open it and click on Star at the top of the page.
I will leave you here only the project of this thread:
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_oneplus_guacamole_unified_TWRP

Top Liked Posts