[RECOVERY][3.4.0-11][enchilada] Official/Unofficial TWRP touch recovery for OnePlus 6

Search This thread

giorgosspam

Dec 6, 2018
I have trouble restoring full backups made with official TWRP 3.4.0-3. The phone has never been updated or flashed with an Android 10 rom (neither custom nor stock OOS), had the last HavocOS 2.9 build (Android 9) on both slots (no gapps or the like) and was rooted using Magisk (only for the purpose of rooting it, nothing else). Prior to making the backup I had removed all locking security (password and fingerprints). There was a secondary user set up on the phone.

It seems, the restored /data partition causes the phone to boot into recovery instead of system (almost immediately, there is no screen logo of the rom). If /data is wiped after the restore process, the phone boots fine (albeit without any user isntalled apps and settings, of course).

The phone booted fine prior to this (first ever) attempt to restore a backup, so I don't think that /data was corrupt prior to making the backups. I suspect that either the backup or the restore process with TWRP was erroneous.

I also tried the latest 3.5.0-9 official release to restore either of the backups but the result is always the same (bootloop into recovery with restored /data, regular boot into /system with /data wiped after the restore).

I would appreciate it if anyone has any tips on how to get /data from one of the backups to work. All saved files are still on the phone (and like the backup files also on a computer), but I would rather not have to set up everything from scratch.

Many thanks in advance!

PS.:
And a side note to everyone taking backups: make sure the restore process works prior to getting into a situations where you depend on restoring them to work!

ed57

Sep 15, 2010
I have trouble restoring full backups made with official TWRP 3.4.0-3. The phone has never been updated or flashed with an Android 10 rom (neither custom nor stock OOS), had the last HavocOS 2.9 build (Android 9) on both slots (no gapps or the like) and was rooted using Magisk (only for the purpose of rooting it, nothing else). Prior to making the backup I had removed all locking security (password and fingerprints). There was a secondary user set up on the phone.

It seems, the restored /data partition causes the phone to boot into recovery instead of system (almost immediately, there is no screen logo of the rom). If /data is wiped after the restore process, the phone boots fine (albeit without any user isntalled apps and settings, of course).

The phone booted fine prior to this (first ever) attempt to restore a backup, so I don't think that /data was corrupt prior to making the backups. I suspect that either the backup or the restore process with TWRP was erroneous.

I also tried the latest 3.5.0-9 official release to restore either of the backups but the result is always the same (bootloop into recovery with restored /data, regular boot into /system with /data wiped after the restore).

I would appreciate it if anyone has any tips on how to get /data from one of the backups to work. All saved files are still on the phone (and like the backup files also on a computer), but I would rather not have to set up everything from scratch.

Many thanks in advance!

PS.:
And a side note to everyone taking backups: make sure the restore process works prior to getting into a situations where you depend on restoring them to work!
Hi giorgosspam,

I'm also interested in this topic as I plan to try another custom rom soon.
Did you try to restore only /data after you wiped the data? (once you boot the rom up and do the setup)
Please confirm if it works or not. Thanks

Last edited:

giorgosspam

Dec 6, 2018
I did try to restore /data only. It didn't make a difference, with either of the three backups. At some point (I think after I wiped /vendor and /system and then made a full restore) the phone didn't even get to boot into recovery or fastboot (crashdump). The MSM Download Tool restored it to factory condition and now I'm setting the phone up from scratch.

I have two further remarks (or rather questions) which may be relevant:

1. At the very first attempt of restoring /data I noticed that the progress percentage went beyond 100%. Does anyone know if this implies that the backup was written beyond the bounds of the phone's /data partition?

2. After restoring it with the MSM Download tool, I upgraded the phone to the last Android 9 OxygenOS version (telling the OOS updater to use the previously downloaded, full OOS zip file copied into the phones storage. After rebooting, I repeated the process so that both slots are on the 9.0.9 OOS firmware. I then proceeded to unlock the bootloader and tried fastbooting into official twrp 3.5.xx (only "boot", no "flash"). The phone responded by switching to the "fastbooting" screen but never entered twrp. This was repeatedly the case and the same with official twrp 3.4.xx. I then tried with bluspark twrp version 101 and it booted immediately into twrp. Installing (flashing) officail twrp 3.5.xx from within bluspark twrp worked fine then, as did the subsequent installation of the custom rom (an Android 9 rom, of course).
Could it be, that twrp 3.5.xx and 3.4.xx are not (fully) compatible with the Android 9 partition structure?

PS.: If anyone has clues or tips on how to successfully use the existing backups, I'd still be very thankful to hear them!

MatteCarra

Feb 7, 2019
Milan
@mauronofrio
Thanks for your TWRP.
I initially had problems with Android 11 decryption("Failed to decrypt for user 0").

If anyone has the same problem, I would advise to press Cancel > Format > Delete Data.
This will delete your whole internal storage.

The dev told me that the cause was the migration from OOS to AOSP.
TWRP is now running great, even with encryption enabled.

Thanks!

Last edited:

clearchris

Dec 21, 2014
There was a secondary user set up on the phone.
Same issue here, but it sounds a bit different too. TWRP errors on the first file it hits from the secondary user. I tried to remove the secondary user files from the nandroid backup files with generic linux tar. Then TWRP will extract the entire nandroid backup then, but the backup won't boot.

I may try to dig into the twrptar program and see if there's a way to either skip the files it can't decrypt or zero fill them or something. Doesn't seem like a really hard problem, I don't mind if the guest user doesn't get restored.

clearchris

Dec 21, 2014
Has anyone attempted a backup and restore on android 11? Anyone know the current status?

I'm running ArrowOS 11, it's unfortunately encrypted by default.

Chuck012

May 9, 2021
On twrp.me for OnePlus 6, it shows to temporarily boot into fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img.

Does the zip I download have to be

14.5M
2018-07-02 13:24:19 EDT
twrp-installer-enchilada-3.2.1-0.zip
or can it be another zip ? Is there a suggested zip to use ?

I will be using lineage os 18.1 .

Thank you.

diemadedrei

Mar 13, 2012
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 6 Pro
On twrp.me for OnePlus 6, it shows to temporarily boot into fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img.

Does the zip I download have to be

14.5M
2018-07-02 13:24:19 EDT
twrp-installer-enchilada-3.2.1-0.zip
or can it be another zip ? Is there a suggested zip to use ?

I will be using lineage os 18.1 .

Thank you.
Look into the first post on this thread for current downloads. The most current one worked for me on Los 18.1

Top Liked Posts