[RECOVERY][3.4.0-11][fajita]Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6T (Stable)

Search This thread

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    In the install guide, it says to copy the .img file into phone memory and install it to recovery ramdisk. Do we no longer need the .zip file to have TWRP permanently installed as the recovery? Or should the .img file be the .zip file?

Sorry, I am brand new to all this.

Install guide:
    1. Install fastboot tools from google's sdk on your PC
    2. Enter fastboot mode
    3. Unlock your bootloader
    4. Run "fastboot boot recoveryimgfilename.img" in command line
    5. Copy the recoveryimgfilename.img in the phone memory
    6. Go in advanced menu
    7. Click on "Install Recovery Ramdisk"
    8. Choose the recoveryimgfilename.img
    9. Swipe to install
    You can install either using a zip file OR install an .img file per the instructions. Either will install TWRP onto your device.
    Correct.

However if I recall, in order to install TWRP properly on the 6T, the IMG file is used to get the device to load TWRP only.

Please be aware that the IMG fle is the following version of TWRP: twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img.
    So once you have completed the IMG install from the above post, reboot into recovery to confirm the recovery is TWRP (3.3.1-18) and flash the Installer ZIP version, which is the latest version: twrp-3.4.0-11-fajita-installer-mauronofrio.zip = Done!

You now can reboot to system (OOS)

This ZIP installer, if I recall, will install TWRP on both A/B Slots...which is important.

After that, always use the Installer Zip to retain TWRP which is required after any full rom flash updates, which is another set of instructions altogether. Which you can read here :

[Discussion & Feedback] OxygenOS 10.3.7 OTA for OnePlus 6T​

To community members:
    If I missed anything or something is incorrect, please chime in! ☺️

✌️

Reactions: thomasnsr

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
    St Paul, AZ
    Please be aware that the IMG fle is the following version of TWRP: twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img.
    So once you have completed the IMG install from the above post, reboot into recovery to confirm the recovery is TWRP (3.3.1-18)

While you explain the process well, this part is incorrect - ”Enchilada” img file is for the 6 not the 6T. The 6T code name is "Fajita".

You will just need to download the latest TWRP installer zip and IMG file (for booting before installing).

Add of now, they latest versions are:
    twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-fajita.zip
    twrp-3.5.2_9-0-fajita.img

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    While you explain the process well, this part is incorrect - ”Enchilada” img file is for the 6 not the 6T. The 6T code name is "Fajita".

You will just need to download the latest TWRP installer zip and IMG file (for booting before installing).

Thank you jhedfors!

Ok, so if the files you're referring to are correct, then the files that are posted at the beginning of this thread are incorrect and should be updated to reflect that.

I thought that Mauronofrio was the only one that was updating TWRP for the 6T??

So to be very clear for myself, I can use the files from the link above for the 6T?

✌️

Last edited:

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
    St Paul, AZ
    Thank you jhedfors!

Ok, so if the files you're referring to are correct, then the files that are posted at the beginning of this thread are incorrect and should be updated to reflect that.

I thought that Mauronofrio was the only one that was updating TWRP for the 6T??

So to be very clear for myself, I can use the files from the link above for the 6T?

✌️
    I believe this thread was started before we got an official build of TWRP. I would definitely go with the official version. But I agree that OP should be updated to link to the official version.

OP6Tuser

May 4, 2021

I have read in other forums that TWRP 3.5 isnt working correctly with magisk v22.1 and is causing wifi disconnections and device bricks. Is there any issue with using TWRP 3.4 to be safe?

OP6Tuser

May 4, 2021
    With our device? Links? I have not experienced or heard of any issues. I am on the latest TWRP and Magisk.

I also just installed magisk v22.1 on my 6T and it fails safetynet check. Something about the API

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
    St Paul, AZ

I also just installed magisk v22.1 on my 6T and it fails safetynet check. Something about the API
    That API error is only cosmetic. If you try another safety net checker, it should pass. It should be fixed in next Magisk build.

That issue that you linked to is closed. Perhaps it was in 22.0

Last edited:
    Reactions: plepew and osm0sis

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    In all honesty folks, if your device is working properly with 3.4.0-11][fajita]Official/Unofficial TWRP by Mauronofrio, there is really no reason to change or update it!

I have been using it for the last few years and absolutely no issues at all!

Currently running Magisk 22.1, TWRP 3.4.0-11fajita Mauronofrio on OOS 10.3.9 and will update shortly to OOS 10.3.10.

All Banking Apps, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, on OP 6T and my Galaxy Watch 46mm with Samsung Pay all work with no issues.

Just sharing in case you feel you are stuck.

Cheers!!

✌️

Reactions: jhedfors

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    Are there any updated instructions for backing up and restoring an A11 custom ROM?
    This may be of help and I believe these methods are the same as A10 or A11.

1. Read thru this and see: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-flash-twrp-root-nandroid-efs-backup.3851789/

2. https://techsphinx.com/smartphones/create-and-restore-nandroid-backup/

PS. When I do mine, I select all the partitions for Backup. Used 3.4.0-11fajita till 10.3.9...and I just updated to OOS 10.3.10 & updated to Official twrp-3.5.2_9-0-fajita. All works!! 😊

** ATT: "Full" Nandroids Backups can only be restored on the same OOS version. ie: 10.3.10 can not be restored on 10.3.9 & vice versa. I did that once and I learned that lesson the hard way!😝
    I've never done partials to avoid issues and not remember what was what. I always do a Full Nandroid Backup after each OOS updates and do regular Full Nandroid Backups every month to be on the safe side. It has saved me time & time again since my OP3 days!!!🙏

Good luck!!

✌️

Beast14

Oct 6, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I clean flashed CarbonROM and then went ahead and flashed the patched boot.img from Magisk 22.1, everything went well, it got installed properly and verified root apps on the phone. Then i went ahead and flashed TWRP 3.4.0-11 the latest from this thread using Ramdisk option, and then i rebooted and lost Magisk, seems it got replaced by TWRP. I did it the other way around, flashed TWRP then Magisk, and then lost TWRP.
    Is anyone else having a problem with this not being able to keep both Magisk & TWRP on the phone? Obviously this only happened since the new version of Magisk 22.1 came out, which is to be flashed as a ramdisk boot.img. Never had an issue with previous versions of Magisk and TWRP co-existing.

Anyone have both Magisk 22.1/23.0 AND TWRP installed and how did you manage to do that??

Yes i also tried to install TWRP installer zip (which installs on both slots) and still lost Magisk afterwards.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
    Stockholm
    Hi Guys,

I clean flashed CarbonROM and then went ahead and flashed the patched boot.img from Magisk 22.1, everything went well, it got installed properly and verified root apps on the phone. Then i went ahead and flashed TWRP 3.4.0-11 the latest from this thread using Ramdisk option, and then i rebooted and lost Magisk, seems it got replaced by TWRP. I did it the other way around, flashed TWRP then Magisk, and then lost TWRP.
    Is anyone else having a problem with this not being able to keep both Magisk & TWRP on the phone? Obviously this only happened since the new version of Magisk 22.1 came out, which is to be flashed as a ramdisk boot.img. Never had an issue with previous versions of Magisk and TWRP co-existing.

Anyone have both Magisk 22.1/23.0 AND TWRP installed and how did you manage to do that??

Yes i also tried to install TWRP installer zip (which installs on both slots) and still lost Magisk afterwards.
    I just flashed Carbon ROM today and have Magisk 23.0 but I use OrangeFox recovery right now not TWRP.

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    Beast14 said:
    oh cool, another CR fan! Yea i updated my Magisk from the app to v23.0, all good there too. In what sequence and how did you flash Orangefox and Magisk?
    I flashed the ROM, then Orangefox, reboot to recovery. Flashed Nikgapps, and Magisk 23.0

Dualboot TWRP/OrangeFox Oneplus 6/6t

So a bit off topic for this thread, but I went to see about this Carbon ROM and seems to be a pretty solid one and has a nice evolution since 2019 for the 6T (Carbon ROM for OnePlus 6T (Fajita))

Even though Magisk is NOT the topic of this thread, it was highlighted a while ago on Magisk Github, it is not recommended to be flashing Magisk thru recovery anymore...here is the actual web page at the bottom of the page (This installation method is deprecated and is maintained with minimum effort. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!)

Custom Recovery
    This installation method is deprecated and is maintained with minimum effort. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

It is very difficult to accurately detect the device’s information in custom recovery environments. Due to this reason, installing Magisk through custom recoveries on modern devices is no longer recommended. If you face any issues, please use the Patch Image method as it is guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

Download the Magisk APK
    Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v22.0.apk → Magisk-v22.0.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
    Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
    Reboot and check whether the Magisk app is installed. If it isn’t installed automatically, manually install the APK.

Warning: the sepolicy.rule file of modules may be stored in the cache partition. DO NOT MANUALLY WIPE THE CACHE PARTITION.

Just as an FYI: Currently running all the below and running super well! :)

updated to OOS 10.3.10 from 10.3.9 a few days ago with an

updated to TWRP 3.5.2_9-0-fajita from TWRP 3.4.0-11-fajita official/unofficial Mauronofrio version and

updated from Magisk 22.1 to Magisk 23 yesterday

✌️

Saksham03

Jun 15, 2016
    LG G3
    OnePlus 6
    Hi Guys,

Flash TWRP
    Reboot recovery
    Flash Magisk
    Reboot system

Beast14

Oct 6, 2013
    I flashed the ROM, then Orangefox, reboot to recovery. Flashed Nikgapps, and Magisk 23.0

Dualboot TWRP/OrangeFox Oneplus 6/6t

So a bit off topic for this thread, but I went to see about this Carbon ROM and seems to be a pretty solid one and has a nice evolution since 2019 for the 6T (Carbon ROM for OnePlus 6T (Fajita))

Even though Magisk is NOT the topic of this thread, it was highlighted a while ago on Magisk Github, it is not recommended to be flashing Magisk thru recovery anymore...here is the actual web page at the bottom of the page (This installation method is deprecated and is maintained with minimum effort. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!)

Custom Recovery
    This installation method is deprecated and is maintained with minimum effort. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

It is very difficult to accurately detect the device’s information in custom recovery environments. Due to this reason, installing Magisk through custom recoveries on modern devices is no longer recommended. If you face any issues, please use the Patch Image method as it is guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

Download the Magisk APK
    Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v22.0.apk → Magisk-v22.0.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
    Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
    Reboot and check whether the Magisk app is installed. If it isn’t installed automatically, manually install the APK.

Warning: the sepolicy.rule file of modules may be stored in the cache partition. DO NOT MANUALLY WIPE THE CACHE PARTITION.

Just as an FYI: Currently running all the below and running super well! :)

updated to OOS 10.3.10 from 10.3.9 a few days ago with an

updated to TWRP 3.5.2_9-0-fajita from TWRP 3.4.0-11-fajita official/unofficial Mauronofrio version and

updated from Magisk 22.1 to Magisk 23 yesterday

✌️

Yes, i didnt flash Magisk via recovery. I flashed it following the guide here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images - its the new way to install/flash Magisk, right? thats how you all did it? so basically i flashed via adb with this cmd: fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img. but then i lose recovery when rebooting. What am i doing wrong here? Im too scared to try again as i have restored everything on my phone now and it took me all day.
    My magisk updated to v23 via the app, but currently am sitting without TWRP. When i try boot into recovery, it goes to CarbonROM's custom recovery menu. How can i install TWRP and keep the existing updated version of Magisk without losing my data?

Last edited:

plepew

• Nov 5, 2016
    Yes, i didnt flash Magisk via recovery. I flashed it following the guide here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images - its the new way to install/flash Magisk, right? thats how you all did it? so basically i flashed via adb with this cmd: fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img. but then i lose recovery when rebooting. What am i doing wrong here? (btw, i clear dalvik cache each time before i reboot, is that the issue?)

Hi Beast14,

This thread is really about TWRP 3.4.0-11 fajita Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6T (Stable) by Mauronofrio and in all honesty, pretty much dead as I found out recently. There is an Official TWRP now: Download Here with the latest versions. This thread is really not about Magisk.

I would love to help you, don't get me wrong, but my Magisk was installed a while back & have been simply updating the Magisk within the app & each time I did an OOS update, re-applied TWRP thru Magisk & applied Magisk to inactive slot. I have not had to do a fresh install of Magisk in recent years. So i'm not well versed on the recent new process for a new install on a device that doesn't have it.

I strongly recommend that you go to this thread here: Magisk General Support / Discussion from topjohnwu himself & a bunch of subject matter experts. There you will find tons of information, instructions, resources, support & assistance to resolve your challenges. I am sure someone will come to your aide fairly quickly and I will be looking out for it as I will have the same challenge soon because when OOS 11 for the 6T finally drops, I want to do a fresh & clean install from scratch...lol!!

Good luck mate!!

✌️

Reactions: thomasnsr

Top Liked Posts